JCW Vogtland Sport Lowering Springs

Old 02-07-2016, 07:19 AM
Antberrie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vogtland Sport Lowering Springs

Has anyone heard of, or better yet, had experience with, these springs?

http://vogtland-na.com/en/sport_springs.php

I've grown impatient waiting for NM to get their "new batch" of alpha springs in stock...

Old 02-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't sink to that level, especially on your JCW.

If you must get lowering springs, at least wait for good ones to be in-stock.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:33 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.swiftsprings.com/products...ct/spec-r.html

I know there was a group buy for R53,

Anyone looking at swifts on the F56 ?

I'm tied into the VDC setup, but quite like the idea of dropping 3/4" if I can stay within damper range

Last edited by blue al; 02-07-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: F56 tba
Old 02-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Antberrie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rye,
Can you please be more specific? What "level" are you referring to, and why? I have read nothing but positive reviews about these springs, albeit not on a MINI application. Why do you not consider these springs "good ones"? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful feedback.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
There are good quality springs you find on race cars and top-level builds, like Eibach ERS, Hyperco, and Swift.

A level down from there are reasonable quality like H&R, Hotchkis, and KW. You'll also find some private label brands like Neuspeed [NM] that will contract any of the above companies.

After that, they're junk. There's no easier way to put it.

At this point, the best affordable solution is to go with the JCW Pro or KW V1 coilovers, They let you lower the ride height but retain good suspension travel. Lowering springs eliminate most of the compression travel, ensuring poor ride quality and upsetting the car in mid-corner bumps. They're a cheap solution for achieving a stance but not for improving overall handling dynamics.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:25 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Although I personally don't find the Mini's stance to be too high I understand that some people like to lower it. But I also understand that if you just essentially cut the springs shorter you'll probably bump around afterward. Especially some cars that I see that look pretty ghetto. There's a reason the JCW factory suspension only lowers the car about 1/2".

Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
...There's a reason the JCW factory suspension only lowers the car about 1/2".
False. Where do you get all this misinformation?

There are three factory suspensions for the F56, for 2016+ only the JCW can have the Sport:
*Standard = thin swaybars, soft springs, soft dampers
*Sport = thicker swaybars, medium springs, medium dampers
*DDC = thin swaybars, soft springs, adjustable dampers.

They ALL have the same ride height. None of them sit any lower.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 PM
NYXF56JCW
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Vogtland Springs. They have been in business since the early 1900's. As I guy that comes from a huge VW/Audi background, I can tell you first hand they are very popular with those brands. They are just not as popular in NA as they are in Europe. They are easily on the same level as H&R KW or Eibach, the company just doesn't inflate the price. So not sure where Ryephile is getting his info from.

Plenty of opinions on some of the major VW/Audi Forums. So do a search and you'll see for yourself.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ryephile
False. Where do you get all this misinformation?

There are three factory suspensions for the F56, for 2016+ only the JCW can have the Sport:
*Standard = thin swaybars, soft springs, soft dampers
*Sport = thicker swaybars, medium springs, medium dampers
*DDC = thin swaybars, soft springs, adjustable dampers.

They ALL have the same ride height. None of them sit any lower.
There is no "misinformation" here. There is an aftermarket Mini supplied JCW suspension that can be dealer installed with different coilovers and sway bars. It costs around $1300 plus installation. It does lower the car about 1/2" and some JCW owners have added it even before they picked up their cars. It's often referred to as the "factory JCW suspension" because it comes from Mini and doesn't void your warranty, although it technically isn't installed at the factory. The Sport suspension is basically sway bars. I know, the spring and damper part numbers are different but those who install aftermarket suspensions claim the dampers are the same as stock. Which makes sense because the SS is only $500.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 02-09-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by NYXF56JCW
There is nothing wrong with Vogtland Springs. They have been in business since the early 1900's. As I guy that comes from a huge VW/Audi background, I can tell you first hand they are very popular with those brands. They are just not as popular in NA as they are in Europe. They are easily on the same level as H&R KW or Eibach, the company just doesn't inflate the price. So not sure where Ryephile is getting his info from.

Plenty of opinions on some of the major VW/Audi Forums. So do a search and you'll see for yourself.
I've been involved in the VAG community for over a decade. If you run low-rent stuff like Raceland and Vogtland you'll be laugh off Vortex. I'm just struggling to understand why someone would intentionally run "meh" parts on a brand new halo car like the JCW. If the OP has already made up their mind but just wanted a warm fuzzy, then I'm sorry I can't give that.

FYI there is an aftermarket Mini supplied JCW suspension that can be dealer installed with different coilovers and sway bars. It costs around $1300 plus installation. It does lower the car about 1/2" and some JCW owners have added it. It's often referred to as the "factory JCW suspension" because it comes from Mini and doesn't void your warranty.
Some of your first sentence was correct, up until you lied about it including sway bars.

I have an exhaustive thread on the JCW Pro coilovers [that's their correct name], and disclose the full monty on them. They're not factory, they're built by KW and are offered through the MINI Dealerships. Their list price is $1,831.

The Sport suspension is basically sway bars. I know, the spring and damper part numbers are different but those who install aftermarket suspensions claim the dampers are the same as stock. Which makes sense because the SS is only $500.
Why are you discounting the facts? Different part numbers actually means they're different. Using citation-less claims that "those who install" is hardly valid proof of anything. If you were using any of the evidence on this forum, you'd already know that I actually own the JCW Pro coilovers, installed them, documented the process, and proved how much lower-than-stock they're designed to ride at. ...and the SS is not $500 anymore, it's standard on the JCW and unavailable on the rest.

MINI now has a 3-generation long precedent for having varying sway bar sizes available from the factory. I'm sorry you don't want to do the homework on learning that, and you're not helping those that are trying to learn.

Last edited by Ryephile; 02-09-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I've been involved in the VAG community for over a decade. If you run low-rent stuff like Raceland and Vogtland you'll be laugh off Vortex. I'm just struggling to understand why someone would intentionally run "meh" parts on a brand new halo car like the JCW. If the OP has already made up their mind but just wanted a warm fuzzy, then I'm sorry I can't give that.

Some of your first sentence was correct, up until you lied about it including sway bars.

I have an exhaustive thread on the JCW Pro coilovers [that's their correct name], and disclose the full monty on them. They're not factory, they're built by KW and are offered through the MINI Dealerships. Their list price is $1,831.

Why are you discounting the facts? Different part numbers actually means they're different. Using citation-less claims that "those who install" is hardly valid proof of anything. If you were using any of the evidence on this forum, you'd already know that I actually own the JCW Pro coilovers, installed them, documented the process, and proved how much lower-than-stock they're designed to ride at. ...and the SS is not $500 anymore, it's standard on the JCW and unavailable on the rest.

MINI now has a 3-generation long precedent for having varying sway bar sizes available from the factory. I'm sorry you don't want to do the homework on learning that, and you're not helping those that are trying to learn.
Whatever. I'll stay on my own car's forum. You're starting to get troll like.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Vogtland are good quality springs. They're manufactured in Germany and a lot of BMW guys run them. We sell them. From personal experience, I've never had an issue with the springs, but everyone's experience is different about every product.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 02-09-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Whatever. I'll stay on my own car's forum. You're starting to get troll like.
The irony of your terminology misuse was not lost on me. Best of luck in the future.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Vogtland are good quality springs. They're manufactured in Germany and a lot of BMW guys run them. We sell them HERE. From personal experience, I've never had an issue with the springs, but everyone's experience is different about every product.
Fair enough if you want to stand behind your offering. Any chance you have access to spring rate and ride height information for the F56 offering?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:06 AM
NYXF56JCW
3rd Gear

Not true in the slightest. Here's a question...have you actually ever used them?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Fair enough if you want to stand behind your offering. Any chance you have access to spring rate and ride height information for the F56 offering?
I don't think we have them up in the catalog yet for the F56 platform, but on their site they have an application guide and I don't see the F56 listed yet. I'm sure you can contact them for that info though.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by NYXF56JCW
Not true in the slightest. Here's a question...have you actually ever used them?
Yes, otherwise I wouldn't be commenting on them. They rusted over the course of 1 winter and then one of the coils snapped from corrosion damage.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM
NYXF56JCW
3rd Gear
Yes, otherwise I wouldn't be commenting on them. They rusted over the course of 1 winter and then one of the coils snapped from corrosion damage.
Wow, you must have driven through a salt mine daily!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I do live in Michigan, so proverbially, yes. Winters are rough on cars. It's why I take mine to the coin-op wash regularly in winter, to wash off that nasty salt. It makes a big difference. I also go through a LOT of anti-seize.

Anyway, to Devil's Advocate myself, in Vogtland's defense I haven't used them lately. It's entirely possible their quality has improved.