Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > JCW Garage
Questions about R53 factory JCWs >

Questions about R53 factory JCWs

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Questions about R53 factory JCWs

  #1  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:37 AM
TheBigNewt
TheBigNewt is offline
OVERDRIVE
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,199
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Questions about R53 factory JCWs

When did they start, and what differences were there compared with the MCS? I'm guessing exhaust and ECU, maybe the Brembo brakes. How about the supercharger and pulley? I saw they have 200 HP, and cost about $6500 more, which is about the same as my car over the 2014 MCS. Did they have a bodykit like mine? Thanks in advance, I'm just interested is all.
 
  #2  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 AM
jcrane82's Avatar
jcrane82
jcrane82 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Elkhorn, WI
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The factory JCWs started being manufactured in November of 2005 (2006 model year).

The 210 bhp tuning kit included:
Machined Cylinder Head
Supercharger with Reduction Pulley (multiple sources claim a 11.4% reduction pulley)
NGK BKR7EQUP Spark Plugs
JCW Cat-back Exhaust
JCW Air intake
380cc Fuel Injectors
ECU Remap
JCW Intercooler Cover
JCW Front and Rear Badges

http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/1st...JCW_Tuning_Kit

In addition to the 210 bhp tuning kit, the 2006 factory JCWs also received the larger JCW front brakes (rear brakes were not changed) and a limited slip differential. The JCW suspension kit and the JCW aero kit were independent of the factory JCW option. My 2006 factory JCW does not have the JCW suspension kit or the JCW aero kit.

The factory JCW option in 2006 was option code 3AL.
 
  #3  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:55 AM
JABowders's Avatar
JABowders
JABowders is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 2,043
Received 137 Likes on 131 Posts
For what I know about the JCWs (R52/R53) they are JCW add on kits that were installed at the dealership.
The JCW Engine kit basically included:
Ported Head
Spark Plugs
JCW Supercharger
Air Box and filter
Exhaust System
Fuel Injectors
Pulley Belt
Assorted hardware, brackets, gaskets, Badges, Covers, and certificate
And the ECM would need to be FLASHED
And I have seen that they rated a range from 200 to 211 HP

There were also suspension kits, limited slip differential, brake kits, and body kits (exterior and interior).

In 2008 ... Model Year 2009 MINI offered the true Factory JCW version, and they worked in all the models within a few years.

My 2004 R53 (MC40 #211) has the Engine Kit and the side skirts from the body Kit
My 2007 R52 has everything but the body kits (exterior and interior).

More information can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cooper_Works

Motor on!
 

Last edited by JABowders; 07-14-2015 at 11:01 AM.
  #4  
Old 07-14-2015, 11:10 AM
jcrane82's Avatar
jcrane82
jcrane82 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Elkhorn, WI
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders View Post
For what I know about the JCWs (R52/R53) they are JCW add on kits that were installed at the dealership.

In 2008 ... Model Year 2009 MINI offered the true Factory JCW version, and they worked in all the models within a few years.
I just want to add that there was a factory optioned JCW available in model year 2006. This was the only year a factory JCW was available for the R53. From what I have read, the factory JCW was 210 bhp and the dealer add JCW kit was 200 bhp. After October 2004, the dealer installed kit was 210 bhp. Here is where I got this information:

200 bhp dealer JCW kit (pre-October 2004):
http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/1st...JCW_Tuning_Kit

210 bhp dealer JCW kit (after October 2004):
http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/1st...CW_Upgrade_Kit

210 bhp factory JCW kit:
http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/1st...JCW_Tuning_Kit
 
  #5  
Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 AM
JABowders's Avatar
JABowders
JABowders is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 2,043
Received 137 Likes on 131 Posts
Cools, thanks for the links

Motor on!
 
  #6  
Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 AM
ZippyNH
ZippyNH is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 12,606
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All JCW KITS from 2005+ gen1 (factory or not) were 210 HP ...all factory 2006 cars got that...
Kit was the same as dealer. But you got the BBK kit tossed in...
Net result was a 2006 with a dealer add on or factory kit WAS THE SAME if you added the BBK kit to it...but the factory kit WAS more convenient, let's face it..it you were gonna go JCW, might as well get the BBK and the LSD...
Some dealers gave you back the old parts...and getting a used exaust, head and SC was a big plus for many...heck that is WHY many got the kit...many made extra $$ by assigning a core value to this stuff...
But "dealer takeoff" zero mile heads and SC still pop up for sale....some mechanics put the stuff away, and are making some $$ off it.

The confusing part is older pre 2005 cars (2002-2004) got a 200 HP kit...coated SC, etc...but a updated ecu in 2005, with an extra sensor made 210 feasible with slightly bigger injectors (JCW 380's were on the 210 kit only)...the 210 kits also got the ice CAI...
Older cars COULD BE UPGRADED From the 200 to 210 but the extra cost for 10 HP was not very $$ effective...
Then add that the lack of the extra sensor ment it was mostly a timing advance with more fuel on the 2002-2004 cars....
The only thing a "factory JCW" gen1 gets you saying it is factory...the same car could be made with the dealer kit in 2005...orr even 2006....just comes down to $$$.
 

Last edited by ZippyNH; 07-14-2015 at 11:47 AM.
  #7  
Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 PM
TheBigNewt
TheBigNewt is offline
OVERDRIVE
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,199
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks guys, that's interesting. So whether or not it was done at the factory or at the dealer came out the same. Supercharger, pulley, brakes, head, exhaust, intake, ECU=210 HP. I assume the cost was $6500 either way (someone had that on the sticker or his factory job). Interestingly the cost is still $6500 but you get the body kit and no exhaust, plus piston upgrade and clutch. I'd rather have the body kit lol.
 
  #8  
Old 07-14-2015, 03:58 PM
MINIAC
MINIAC is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tsunami Zone
Posts: 2,229
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
So whether or not it was done at the factory or at the dealer came out the same. Supercharger, pulley, brakes, head, exhaust, intake, ECU=210 HP. I assume the cost was $6500 either way (someone had that on the sticker or his factory job). Interestingly the cost is still $6500 but you get the body kit and no exhaust, plus piston upgrade and clutch. I'd rather have the body kit lol.
The factory JCW Package (which included the 210bhp Tuning Kit, JCW Sport Brakes and LSD) was originally listed as a $6300 option. The rub is it required the $1400 Sport Package. In Europe the JCW Package came with 16" Bridgespoke wheels, instead of forcing you to option another package which included (17") wheels which cleared the larger JCW brakes.

The 200bhp JCW Tuning Kit originally retailed for $4500 (plus 10 hours labor). The JCW Upgrade (airbox, 380cc injectors plus remap) was originally $525 (plus 1.5 hours labor). The 210bph Tuning Kit was originally $4775 (plus 11.5 hours labor). The dealer installed JCW Brakes originally retailed for $1056.

The Aero Kit for the 1st Gen MINI was not a JCW branded accessory
 
  #9  
Old 12-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Bernard Barbour's Avatar
Bernard Barbour
Bernard Barbour is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ft Campbell, KY " Air Assault"
Posts: 265
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
The factory JCWs started being manufactured in November of 2005 (2006 model year).

The 210 bhp tuning kit included:
Machined Cylinder Head
Supercharger with Reduction Pulley (multiple sources claim a 11.4% reduction pulley)
NGK BKR7EQUP Spark Plugs
JCW Cat-back Exhaust
JCW Air intake
380cc Fuel Injectors
ECU Remap
JCW Intercooler Cover
JCW Front and Rear Badges

http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/1st...JCW_Tuning_Kit

In addition to the 210 bhp tuning kit, the 2006 factory JCWs also received the larger JCW front brakes (rear brakes were not changed) and a limited slip differential. The JCW suspension kit and the JCW aero kit were independent of the factory JCW option. My 2006 factory JCW does not have the JCW suspension kit or the JCW aero kit.

The factory JCW option in 2006 was option code 3AL.
I recently stumbled across an 2004 40th Monte Carlo edition with the full JCW engine mods you have listed as well as a full aero body kit. Is there anyway to tell if this car has LSD. Thanks


















 
  #10  
Old 12-25-2016, 01:41 PM
MINIAC
MINIAC is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tsunami Zone
Posts: 2,229
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour View Post
I recently stumbled across an 2004 40th Monte Carlo edition with the full JCW engine mods you have listed as well as a full aero body kit. Is there anyway to tell if this car has LSD. Thanks
LSD wasn't a factory option (2TA) until January 2005 builds.
 
  #11  
Old 12-27-2016, 11:52 AM
SKurj
SKurj is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice.. my car has the lot... bbk, lsd, suspension, aero.. except the exhaust.. or the PO replaced it, it sounds nice whatever it has. He also replaced the JCW airbox with a K&N :( alas I will restore it as funds permit.
 
  #12  
Old 01-06-2017, 05:45 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning
ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 27,704
Received 554 Likes on 534 Posts
^^ this was a top find for the MC40, most dealerships when they got the, one per dealership at the time. Loaded them up with JCW bits and stuck them in the showroom floor and marked up the price. I seen a couple like this. But they are a rare breed. This was back in late 2004 when i got my new MINI.
 
__________________

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
  #13  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Bernard Barbour's Avatar
Bernard Barbour
Bernard Barbour is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ft Campbell, KY " Air Assault"
Posts: 265
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Nice.. my car has the lot... bbk, lsd, suspension, aero.. except the exhaust.. or the PO replaced it, it sounds nice whatever it has. He also replaced the JCW airbox with a K&N :( alas I will restore it as funds permit.
Thanks for the info ECS and SKurj. My car is a 40th, was one of those loaded up on JCW options at the dealer. Don't know if I have the LSD, but I have the BBK, airbox, suspension, aero kit and etc. I'm assuming it has the LSD, but I guess the only way to tell is if the transmission is opened. I do know when I really get on it, it tracks straight and no noticeable pulling to one side or the other.
 
  #14  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning
ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 27,704
Received 554 Likes on 534 Posts
Welcome.

Yea, most likely it does not have the LSD , that was in 2005 builds. Most MC40s were late year 2004 builds, but sold as a 2004. It was like the Mc40 got a late start in 2004.
 
__________________

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
  #15  
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 AM
MrBlah
MrBlah is offline
6th Gear - AX Champion
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsboro NC
Posts: 2,485
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour View Post
Thanks for the info ECS and SKurj. My car is a 40th, was one of those loaded up on JCW options at the dealer. Don't know if I have the LSD, but I have the BBK, airbox, suspension, aero kit and etc. I'm assuming it has the LSD, but I guess the only way to tell is if the transmission is opened. I do know when I really get on it, it tracks straight and no noticeable pulling to one side or the other.
vin decoder will tell you if you have the LSD, it's unlikely as mentioned by ECStuning
 
  #16  
Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM
SKurj
SKurj is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oops.. my car is not an MC40, just a loaded up r53 jcw, think only thing missing is handbrake handle... wish it was an mc40
 
  #17  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:31 PM
Thought of a good one's Avatar
Thought of a good one
Thought of a good one is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 587
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread... let me explain.

Over on another website that sells cars just sold a "2004 Modified Cooper S JCW." No big deal until the seller started to say that this was a factory JCW car - which according to this site and others, it cannot be. It was initially billed as having factory JCW 400cc fuel injectors, to which people corrected him on several times and he eventually confessed that they were not 400's but 380's. It was mentioned several times that it cannot be a factory JCW car but a dealer installed JCW kit to which there were crickets from both the seller and site that hosted the sale. Near the end of the sale the seller once again got a question about the factory 2004 JCW to which he said that the ECU came from the factory with the JCW tune. He also claimed, albeit a guess on his part, that the car with it's mods had 230 to 240 wheel horsepower.
Here is the list of mods from the web site hosting the sale:
  • Alta Performance cold air intake with heat shield
  • 62mm throttle body
  • 400cc John Cooper Works fuel injectors
  • Alta Performance 17% reduction supercharger pulley and 2% lightened crankshaft pulley
  • Oversized Alta intercooler with air diverter and water sprayer
  • Screamin’ Demon ignition coil
  • Kingsborne spark plug wires
  • Alta Performance silicone hoses and catch can
  • 180-degree thermostat
  • Jet-Hot coated OBX stainless steel headers
  • John Cooper Works exhaust system
I'd guess, 230hp to 240hp at the crank, not at the wheel. Normally this site kills a sale at the first sniff of something fishy or knowingly dishonest. Oddly, not this one. This was the sellers 4th car sold through this site.

When the seller was called out on what seemed to be his willful dishonest representation of a 2004 factory JCW, those posts never saw the light of day...
When information from this site and others that directly showed that the car was misrepresented, those posts never saw the light of day...

This car sold for $12,500 plus auction fees.

I used to like that site as it seemed like a honest place to buy and sell a car and sometimes very expensive collector cars because people with knowledge can offer that information to assist or hinder the transaction and sellers know this. I have lost all respect for the site. I would have posted this on their web site but I fear that it would be censored and never see the light of day. The most ironic part is there is another 2004 Cooper S for sale on this site right now that correctly labels it as a dealer installed kit.
 
  #18  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:27 AM
Bernard Barbour's Avatar
Bernard Barbour
Bernard Barbour is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ft Campbell, KY " Air Assault"
Posts: 265
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one View Post
Resurrecting this old thread... let me explain.

Over on another website that sells cars just sold a "2004 Modified Cooper S JCW." No big deal until the seller started to say that this was a factory JCW car - which according to this site and others, it cannot be. It was initially billed as having factory JCW 400cc fuel injectors, to which people corrected him on several times and he eventually confessed that they were not 400's but 380's. It was mentioned several times that it cannot be a factory JCW car but a dealer installed JCW kit to which there were crickets from both the seller and site that hosted the sale. Near the end of the sale the seller once again got a question about the factory 2004 JCW to which he said that the ECU came from the factory with the JCW tune. He also claimed, albeit a guess on his part, that the car with it's mods had 230 to 240 wheel horsepower.
Here is the list of mods from the web site hosting the sale:
  • Alta Performance cold air intake with heat shield
  • 62mm throttle body
  • 400cc John Cooper Works fuel injectors
  • Alta Performance 17% reduction supercharger pulley and 2% lightened crankshaft pulley
  • Oversized Alta intercooler with air diverter and water sprayer
  • Screamin’ Demon ignition coil
  • Kingsborne spark plug wires
  • Alta Performance silicone hoses and catch can
  • 180-degree thermostat
  • Jet-Hot coated OBX stainless steel headers
  • John Cooper Works exhaust system
I'd guess, 230hp to 240hp at the crank, not at the wheel. Normally this site kills a sale at the first sniff of something fishy or knowingly dishonest. Oddly, not this one. This was the sellers 4th car sold through this site.

When the seller was called out on what seemed to be his willful dishonest representation of a 2004 factory JCW, those posts never saw the light of day...
When information from this site and others that directly showed that the car was misrepresented, those posts never saw the light of day...

This car sold for $12,500 plus auction fees.

I used to like that site as it seemed like a honest place to buy and sell a car and sometimes very expensive collector cars because people with knowledge can offer that information to assist or hinder the transaction and sellers know this. I have lost all respect for the site. I would have posted this on their web site but I fear that it would be censored and never see the light of day. The most ironic part is there is another 2004 Cooper S for sale on this site right now that correctly labels it as a dealer installed kit.
Here's the thing! Most people looking at an 2004 JCW will know what they are looking at and have done their research. You and I know that the 04 kits were installed at the dealer. Don't worry about what a seller says about vehicle, just move on if it's not for you.
 
  #19  
Old 03-07-2019, 06:23 AM
Derek86's Avatar
Derek86
Derek86 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 1,098
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one View Post
TL:DR BAT sold a modded 2004 "Factory" JCW R53 with some controversy over the claims of the factory status of the vehicle and possible dishonest deception by the seller.
I saw that and I also was disappointed to see BAT not handle the situation in an appropriate way. Definitely lowers their reputation in my book.

Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour View Post
Here's the thing! Most people looking at an 2004 JCW will know what they are looking at and have done their research. You and I know that the 04 kits were installed at the dealer. Don't worry about what a seller says about vehicle, just move on if it's not for you.
Except if you want to be the online Mecum or Barrett Jackson, you better make damn well sure that all information is 150% accurate for the specialty/collector/etc cars you are auctioning. Anything less and your credibility goes right out the window.
 
  #20  
Old 03-07-2019, 06:47 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell is offline
4th Gear
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NW Georgia, USA
Posts: 526
Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
Dang, I didn't know that some of the comments were deleted. If so, that's very lame!

My favorite part is reading all the knowledgeable comments on all the various cars, especially the more esoteric examples I have no clue about.

I have a love/hate thing for Bat --- on the one hand I love seeing all the rare cars and reading the comments, bonus points for good photography and videos.
On the other hand it's a crazy hype machine with rich dudes overpaying market value (very rare to see a bargain) and getting into pissin' match bid wars which may ultimately cause prices in the general market to overinflate and have a sort of bubble effect.

But in the end, it's all on the buyer to do their due diligence,
but so should the seller be honest.

So yes, I do agree that BaT dropped the ball on the listing referred to here.

Talking about dropping the ball,
did you see this story?
About the guy who spent $125,000 on a 1959 23 window VW bus at a Mecum auction?
His dream finally fulfilled, he proudly posts it up on the Samba forums and the knowledgeable dubheads there recognize it as a fake.
Yikes!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...er=asc&start=0

What if he had never posted about it and got feedback?
Would he still be thinking it was genuine?
 
  #21  
Old 03-07-2019, 06:56 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
I saw that and I also was disappointed to see BAT not handle the situation in an appropriate way. Definitely lowers their reputation in my book.
Don't trust BAT to clean up any questionable listings. They allowed a "legally" imported G-Wagen to be sold even though the guy didn't have the EPA or CBP importation documents for it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...es-benz-300gd/
 
  #22  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 AM
Thought of a good one's Avatar
Thought of a good one
Thought of a good one is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 587
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
My problem here is BaT knew that the seller was misrepresenting the car. BaT has sold too many MINI's to not know this by now. It was actually me that tried to post links to this site and others to show that the car wasn't a factory JCW and my posts were never posted. I had, before now, thought of actually buying a car through them. Now I will not. They talked big about being honest with their auctions.

The grey market cars are something different. If it was never sold here new and the buy knows it was never sold here new, buyer beware. Those I don't have a problem with them selling. Irony, clearly, isn't wasted on me.

I guess I post this as a cautionary tale and out of spite for the censorship. As it was me who's posts were censored.

Again, I clearly see the irony here.
 
  #23  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Derek86's Avatar
Derek86
Derek86 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 1,098
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell View Post
Talking about dropping the ball,
did you see this story?
About the guy who spent $125,000 on a 1959 23 window VW bus at a Mecum auction?
His dream finally fulfilled, he proudly posts it up on the Samba forums and the knowledgeable dubheads there recognize it as a fake.
Yikes!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...er=asc&start=0
Wow. That is some **** worth going to jail over.


Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Don't trust BAT to clean up any questionable listings. They allowed a "legally" imported G-Wagen to be sold even though the guy didn't have the EPA or CBP importation documents for it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...es-benz-300gd/
Well that's interesting, especially because it says it has a US State issued title.

Originally Posted by Thought of a good one View Post
My problem here is BaT knew that the seller was misrepresenting the car. BaT has sold too many MINI's to not know this by now. It was actually me that tried to post links to this site and others to show that the car wasn't a factory JCW and my posts were never posted. I had, before now, thought of actually buying a car through them. Now I will not. They talked big about being honest with their auctions.

The grey market cars are something different. If it was never sold here new and the buy knows it was never sold here new, buyer beware. Those I don't have a problem with them selling. Irony, clearly, isn't wasted on me.
Yeah, that's intentional, and unacceptable. They need to watch this kind of stuff because if enough gets out there it will hurt their business.
 
  #24  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
Well that's interesting, especially because it says it has a US State issued title.
Just because a vehicle is registered and titled in a state doesn't mean it's in the US legally, it just means a state allowed you to register it. CBP can still show up and take the vehicle if you don't have the paperwork showing that it was imported correctly. Ask a bunch of R33/R34 and Defender owners how that's worked out for them...
 
  #25  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Derek86's Avatar
Derek86
Derek86 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 1,098
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Just because a vehicle is registered and titled in a state doesn't mean it's in the US legally, it just means a state allowed you to register it. CBP can still show up and take the vehicle if you don't have the paperwork showing that it was imported correctly. Ask a bunch of R33/R34 and Defender owners how that's worked out for them...
Those Skyline, Defender, and Classic Minis issues were all centered around falsified VINs to make the imported cars appear older to get around the 25 year importation law. I remember them creating a big spectacle out of them crushing a bunch of cars for this reason.

How do you apply for a title without that documentation? I had to provide all this paperwork to obtain a title for my JDM Mini. Once I had the title, I was able to register it and get a plate.

Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
CBP can still show up and take the vehicle if you don't have the paperwork showing that it was imported correctly.
Your papers, please.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about R53 factory JCWs


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: