JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Questions about R53 factory JCWs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
The Samba Saga is a bit different than what happened on BaT. The 23W (I haven't read the whole thread yet - please no spoilers) seems to be, as of page 21, VIN washing. I am not sure if Mecum knew that it was a fake when they sold it. This was BaT being faced with making less money on a sale when they have pulled auctions for less. The censoring of posts has happened before on BaT and it really didn't bother me then. It just chaps my *** because it was me that censored.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
Those Skyline, Defender, and Classic Minis issues were all centered around falsified VINs to make the imported cars appear older to get around the 25 year importation law. I remember them creating a big spectacle out of them crushing a bunch of cars for this reason.
The Defenders all weren't falsified VINs. Some were just completely rebuilt from the frame up and didn't have the original drivetrains when brought in. EPA form 3520-1 has you check the code E box to state that it's over 21 years old.

vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. Customs may require proof of vehicle age.
How do you apply for a title without that documentation? I had to provide all this paperwork to obtain a title for my JDM Mini. Once I had the title, I was able to register it and get a plate.
It depends on the state and what paper work you need. Which is why you see all these grey market vehicles go through certain states like Florida and Montana. How did they manage to get G-Wagen with an engine and transmission swap legally imported? The euro OM603 isn't equivalent to the original OM617 nor is it EPA certified.

The OM617 five-cylinder diesel engine originally in this truck was replaced with a later OM603 3.0-liter inline-six turbodiesel engine by a previous owner in Europe. The motor is paired to a Getrag 5-speed manual transmission and reportedly allows the truck to confidently reach freeway speeds.
We'd how it was brought in legally if the original importation paperwork was included, but it's not.

Your papers, please.
We can blame Mercedes for this back in the 80s. It would be nice if the EU and US/Canadian markets could standardize vehicle requirements and we wouldn't have to worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
Derek86 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Old 05-02-2020, 01:42 PM
fabsmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is a factory 2006 JCW worth?

I've got a 2006 factory installed JCW with document of authenticity. Car has 85K miles astro black. Garage kept. wondering if I keep it or sell since it's in primo shape.....what do you guys think? What do you think it's worth? It's a sweet little car

Old 05-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Nice looking car, the paint and chrome look like they are in good shape.

If you do decide to sell, contact a member here, BoostedBlueToyotas, he has been collecting some of the best condition 2006 JCW cars. He's in northern Maryland, not too far from Jersey.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:24 PM
fabsmini
Neutral
Thanks! It's been spot-on reliable and a blast to drive! this one has a sunroof and chrono cockpit.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:30 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Prices on fJCW's are all over the place. I wish a good one would show up on BAT. Just so could use it as a measuring stick. Low mileage always helps price, as does options (or lack of them in case of sunroof). Black is cool, it actually might be one of the rarest colors if you can believe that. Interesting stripes

Old 05-04-2020, 06:47 AM
fabsmini
Neutral
Thanks for the reply and info! On the fence whether or not to hang on to it. It's not my daily driver, so I don't drive it as often as I would like. But when I do, its a blast.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostedBlueToyotas
Prices on fJCW's are all over the place. I wish a good one would show up on BAT. Just so could use it as a measuring stick. Low mileage always helps price, as does options (or lack of them in case of sunroof). Black is cool, it actually might be one of the rarest colors if you can believe that. Interesting stripes
YES! This has been my dilemma. I'm buying an '06 JCW from a family member. He says "Eh, just pay me whatever you think is a good deal for the both of us." I'm like really? Just name a price. But no.... So I made a spreadsheet of every "nice," non GP R53 Mini on BaT from the past 5 years. I still can't figure it out. Average price was about $11.7K. Low was $7250, high was $17,000.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:21 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
I would throw out the prices on the GP's. People are buying those because they are a limited edition. All of them are the same, just goes against what I like about MINI's, customize it to your taste . And I paid less then 7500 for a 2008 sidewalk JCW Mini convertible . So the prices are all over the place. I would love to sell my silver 40K mile one on BAT but getting things listed seems hit and miss. I would use KBB and ignore the trade in to dealer price because the cars sell for more in parts. Maybe private sale low range to middle of the dealer selling range

Last edited by BoostedBlueToyotas; 05-04-2020 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Threw in kbb comment
Old 05-04-2020, 08:21 AM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
FWIW for $17,000 you can get a used 370Z Nismo. While this is a nice R53, it's not a GP and it doesn't have an aero kit, it's a 14 year old car. Good luck with the sale, hopefully an enthusiast will enjoy it.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:39 AM
Hartz
3rd Gear
I would throw out the prices on the GP's. People are buying those because they are a limited edition. All of them are the same, just goes against what I like about MINI's, customize it to your taste . And I paid less then 7500 for a 2008 sidewalk JCW Mini convertible . So the prices are all over the place. I would love to sell my silver 40K mile one on BAT but getting things listed seems hit and miss. I would use KBB and ignore the trade in to dealer price because the cars sell for more in parts. Maybe private sale low range to middle of the dealer selling range
So for my particular car, the range from KBB came back at $5,027 - $7,454. That seems absurdly low based upon the BaT sale prices and the rarity of this vehicle.

They're just tough little cars to price, and like you said, the market is all over the place.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:20 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
I ran into this problem when I was going to sell my 93 MR2 turbo. The prices were compressed like the Minis are now. People were buying junkers for 4K when 8K would buy you a mint one. If yours is mint and has lot of the common maintenance stuff done then it should be higher then 7500. I am sitting on my cars unless I can get one of the low mileage ones listed on BAT. Actually forget that, just the low mileage silver car. Not selling the blue car . And after a few years the prices on 93 MR2 turbo basically doubled. So if you are looking to sell and dont need too, I wouldnt .

Old 05-04-2020, 12:13 PM
Hartz
3rd Gear
I ran into this problem when I was going to sell my 93 MR2 turbo. The prices were compressed like the Minis are now. People were buying junkers for 4K when 8K would buy you a mint one. If yours is mint and has lot of the common maintenance stuff done then it should be higher then 7500. I am sitting on my cars unless I can get one of the low mileage ones listed on BAT. Actually forget that, just the low mileage silver car. Not selling the blue car . And after a few years the prices on 93 MR2 turbo basically doubled. So if you are looking to sell and dont need too, I wouldnt .
No, I'm actually looking to buy. I don't want to screw my family member over by giving them less than the car is worth. (They refuse to set a price and are saying "Just give me what you think is a good deal for the both of us." )

2006 JCW. Pure silver. < 38K miles. Slick top, pretty loaded. English panther leather, chrono pack, chrome packs, LSD, 6 speed. It's pretty close to bone stock. The only mods I see are tinted windows, the under the steering wheel parcel shelf, and for some reason all of the "S" emblems are blue instead of red. It needs a good cleanup, and the tires are aging out, but otherwise she runs like a champ.

Based upon BaT cars, it's gotta be worth more than $10K, doesn't it?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:15 PM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
A low mileage 2006 fJCW slicktop is a unicorn. Its definitely 10K and I would love to see what it would bring on BAT. My silver car has just under
40K and is also loaded. I had to swap in the English panther leather seats though. It had the basic no extra price pleather seats and no
cold weather package (both which I added). I would venture that your car would be 20K + on BAT

Old 05-04-2020, 03:31 PM
Hartz
3rd Gear
A low mileage 2006 fJCW slicktop is a unicorn. Its definitely 10K and I would love to see what it would bring on BAT. My silver car has just under
40K and is also loaded. I had to swap in the English panther leather seats though. It had the basic no extra price pleather seats and no
cold weather package (both which I added). I would venture that your car would be 20K + on BAT
I would be floored if it would be that much.

Here's a link to the Google Sheet of Mini Cooper comparables from BaT I created:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GLjqt-/pubhtml

I'm sure I missed a few, but I felt like these were some of the nicer ones I saw when looking.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:46 PM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
The red slicktop for 14500 is only one close to your car. That car is the lowest possible JCW spec that you could buy. It had the cheaper sport package (that all factory JCW's have) with no R98's. The only add on were rear fog and the chrono package. Pretty sure a silver car with options could do better . But I am definitely not a BAT bidder type. Looked like that car had a few people bidding.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:44 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hartz
2006 JCW. Pure silver. < 38K miles. Slick top, pretty loaded. English panther leather, chrono pack, chrome packs, LSD, 6 speed. It's pretty close to bone stock. The only mods I see are tinted windows, the under the steering wheel parcel shelf, and for some reason all of the "S" emblems are blue instead of red. It needs a good cleanup, and the tires are aging out, but otherwise she runs like a champ.
Damn.

The English Panther seats are on the short list of things I'm after for my car, they are just such a nice interior.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:57 PM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Hartz, Give him the high KBB price. If you sell it for more down the road you can always split the proceeds. Good chance your relative likes the car and wants it to go to a good home. (versus squeezing every dollar out of it by selling to someone he doesnt know). My 2 cents . Again that car is a unicorn. Can you send me the VIN. I would love to see
how it is equipped

Old 05-06-2020, 10:43 AM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Hartz, Give him the high KBB price. If you sell it for more down the road you can always split the proceeds. Good chance your relative likes the car and wants it to go to a good home. (versus squeezing every dollar out of it by selling to someone he doesnt know). My 2 cents . Again that car is a unicorn. Can you send me the VIN. I would love to see
how it is equipped
WMWRE33516TN29172

Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Hartz
this is an amazing spec on one of the last 2006 hardtops. Production date was 11/11/2006!

Hartz (05-29-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Hope he bought it and gave it a good home

Derek86 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Hope he bought it and gave it a good home
Still waiting for our DMV to re-open, but yes, I'll definitely be buying it. I have possession of it now, and have been busy cleaning her up. She had sat for a couple of years, so she was pretty grimy. Found quite a few mouse nests, but nothing a bit of elbow grease wouldn't clean up. I replaced the S lites and 15 year old tires, as well as the air and cabin filters. I replaced the mangled shift boot with the stock one off of my old R53, and I added a bluetooth receiver to the factory 30 pin Apple connector. I've taken her out for a couple of trips and she runs quite well.

I think I might replace the chrome grill with a black JCW unit. Other than that I've just got to get all of the fluids changed, maybe replace the serpentine belt and the brake lines, and she'll be ready for her cross-country trip. I'm really kind of looking forward to that adventure.

Attached Thumbnails Questions about R53 factory JCWs-pdf4nqn.jpg  
Oldboy Speedwell (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:30 AM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AeroJammin
this is an amazing spec on one of the last 2006 hardtops. Production date was 11/11/2006!
There's a hand written note on the paperwork that claims this is one of the last 50 R53s made. Don't know if that is true or not, but given the late production date, I guess it's possible?

RB-MINI (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:49 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Looks sharp. I wouldnt doubt that your note is accurate. My silver car is blacked out (previous owner) with the black JCW inserts and black Breyton rims. The black out treatment definitely looks good IMHO. Guess mine is basically a twin to yours except mine has the premium pkg with sunroof and had the R98's added to the sport pkg.

Quick Reply: Questions about R53 factory JCWs