Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > JCW Garage
Questions about R53 factory JCWs >

Questions about R53 factory JCWs

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Questions about R53 factory JCWs

Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Thought of a good one
4th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
The Samba Saga is a bit different than what happened on BaT. The 23W (I haven't read the whole thread yet - please no spoilers) seems to be, as of page 21, VIN washing. I am not sure if Mecum knew that it was a fake when they sold it. This was BaT being faced with making less money on a sale when they have pulled auctions for less. The censoring of posts has happened before on BaT and it really didn't bother me then. It just chaps my *** because it was me that censored.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
ND40oz
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
Those Skyline, Defender, and Classic Minis issues were all centered around falsified VINs to make the imported cars appear older to get around the 25 year importation law. I remember them creating a big spectacle out of them crushing a bunch of cars for this reason.
The Defenders all weren't falsified VINs. Some were just completely rebuilt from the frame up and didn't have the original drivetrains when brought in. EPA form 3520-1 has you check the code E box to state that it's over 21 years old.

vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. Customs may require proof of vehicle age.
How do you apply for a title without that documentation? I had to provide all this paperwork to obtain a title for my JDM Mini. Once I had the title, I was able to register it and get a plate.
It depends on the state and what paper work you need. Which is why you see all these grey market vehicles go through certain states like Florida and Montana. How did they manage to get G-Wagen with an engine and transmission swap legally imported? The euro OM603 isn't equivalent to the original OM617 nor is it EPA certified.

The OM617 five-cylinder diesel engine originally in this truck was replaced with a later OM603 3.0-liter inline-six turbodiesel engine by a previous owner in Europe. The motor is paired to a Getrag 5-speed manual transmission and reportedly allows the truck to confidently reach freeway speeds.
We'd how it was brought in legally if the original importation paperwork was included, but it's not.

Your papers, please.
We can blame Mercedes for this back in the 80s. It would be nice if the EU and US/Canadian markets could standardize vehicle requirements and we wouldn't have to worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
Derek86 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Derek86
5th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Thanks for the info!