Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > JCW Garage
Questions about R53 factory JCWs >

Questions about R53 factory JCWs

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Questions about R53 factory JCWs

Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Thought of a good one's Avatar
Thought of a good one
Thought of a good one is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 587
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
The Samba Saga is a bit different than what happened on BaT. The 23W (I haven't read the whole thread yet - please no spoilers) seems to be, as of page 21, VIN washing. I am not sure if Mecum knew that it was a fake when they sold it. This was BaT being faced with making less money on a sale when they have pulled auctions for less. The censoring of posts has happened before on BaT and it really didn't bother me then. It just chaps my *** because it was me that censored.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
Those Skyline, Defender, and Classic Minis issues were all centered around falsified VINs to make the imported cars appear older to get around the 25 year importation law. I remember them creating a big spectacle out of them crushing a bunch of cars for this reason.
The Defenders all weren't falsified VINs. Some were just completely rebuilt from the frame up and didn't have the original drivetrains when brought in. EPA form 3520-1 has you check the code E box to state that it's over 21 years old.

vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. Customs may require proof of vehicle age.
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
How do you apply for a title without that documentation? I had to provide all this paperwork to obtain a title for my JDM Mini. Once I had the title, I was able to register it and get a plate.
It depends on the state and what paper work you need. Which is why you see all these grey market vehicles go through certain states like Florida and Montana. How did they manage to get G-Wagen with an engine and transmission swap legally imported? The euro OM603 isn't equivalent to the original OM617 nor is it EPA certified.

The OM617 five-cylinder diesel engine originally in this truck was replaced with a later OM603 3.0-liter inline-six turbodiesel engine by a previous owner in Europe. The motor is paired to a Getrag 5-speed manual transmission and reportedly allows the truck to confidently reach freeway speeds.
We'd how it was brought in legally if the original importation paperwork was included, but it's not.

Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
Your papers, please.
We can blame Mercedes for this back in the 80s. It would be nice if the EU and US/Canadian markets could standardize vehicle requirements and we wouldn't have to worry about it.
The following users liked this post:
Derek86 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Derek86's Avatar
Derek86 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 1,098
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Sexual Chocolate
MINIs & Minis for Sale
03-31-2019 08:02 PM
MINIs & Minis for Sale
02-07-2019 05:23 PM
MINIs & Minis for Sale
12-23-2015 10:36 AM
Stock Problems/Issues
08-13-2015 10:00 AM
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
08-13-2015 09:33 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about R53 factory JCWs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: