JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Possible 2011 JCW N14 purchase (like tomorrow)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Possible 2011 JCW N14 purchase (like tomorrow)

Hi everyone. First post....new to the forumn....need advice/comments on a
a possible JCW purchase. Feedback today would be much appreciated.

Ok...here we go.....

2011 JCW. 10/28/10 build date. (Has the N14 and I understand some of the issues vs the n18 - trying to keep the purchase below $20k)
49,000 miles. Hopefully this late in production many issues are/were resolved.

It's a two owner JCW. First owner for 3 years....2nd owner 4 months.

The 4 year 48,0000 just ended but Mini says 2 years remain on the
extended powertrain warranty.

List of recalls/fixes/problems that were corrected/replaced in its 4 years of existance:

1. Turbo heat shield replaced
2. Timing chain tensioner seal and piston replaced
3. AC compressor replaced
3. Coolant temp sensor replaced
4. Bluetooth software reprogrammed
5. E brake replaced
6. Aux water pump replaced
7. Thermostat and housing replaced
8. High pressure fuel pump replaced
9. One O2 sensor replaced

Maintenance:
1. All oil changes were done around 10,000 mile intervals or less as far as I can find.
2. Plugs were replaced
3. Brake fluid flushed twice
4. And all other regulary scheduled Mini services were completed

Mods that I can see:
1. JCW leather shift ****
2. DoS CAI and upgraded turbo hoses ( Not sure I like how loud the DoS CAI is)
3. Catch Can

I am wondering if this thing was raced or what??? But it seems to have been maintained very well at least and looks to be in great shape. Carfax is clean as a whistle.

Asking price is around $19k

I am wondering if this is a good deal or not.

It will be a weekend car and stored in the garage.

Comments/suggestions welcome please and thank you.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
"Hopefully this late in production many issues are/were resolved"

Reread what you said.

Clean Carfax means nothing in my world. It is a sales tool to help dealers sell cars. You often read about accidents that have not made it onto Carfax. Nothing like a professional inspection to help uncover flaws.

Take a deep breath and think before leaping.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 AM
timski
4th Gear
I did write this post very quickly so sorry if any of it is confusing.

I was thinking since the build date was at the end of 2010 Mini had
several years to hopfully incorporate some R56 upgrades (if any existed).
But many parts where replaced under warranty so I am guessing not many were. Ha

Old 02-25-2015, 11:09 AM
timski
4th Gear
And, yes, I did plan on driving it over to dealership for an inspection before buying. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
No mention of walnut blasting --- intake valve cleaning. Needs to be done "periodically", especially when a catch can is connected AND the rear PCV hose is disabled. PCV issues can cause excessive oil consumption --- my pet peeve on the N14. And, you might want to ask the seller for a compression and/or leak-down test. These cars were built to be tracked. Handling and cornering, or just tooling around the countryside is a blast. Mileage is great IF you keep an egg under your foot.

Two owners --- first one wore it out, second one couldn't live with it, now it's looking for "the greater fool!" OK, I'm biased! Personal preference under $20K would be the N18 JCW.

My N14 has been built to the hilt, and it's a great money pit, a lot of it being my own fault for over-building it. And, nothing about it is cheap to replace --- not a lot of mechanics available to work on it, and dealer labor rates are excessive.

Have you guessed that i'm trying to discourage you?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:54 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
$19k seems a little high to me. Also, it will need walnut shell blasting of the intake. Most of the typical issues seem like they've been addressed. But expect the thermostat to be a recurring problem.

Sent from my phone using NAMotoring

Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 PM
timski
4th Gear
Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher

Clean Carfax means nothing in my world. It is a sales tool to help dealers sell cars. You often read about accidents that have not made it onto Carfax. Nothing like a professional inspection to help uncover flaws.
This is so true as I've seen and owned many of cars that have been totaled or in major accidents with clear carfax reports. Have it looked over.

The factory warranty is 4yr 50k rather than 48k so it may have some warranty. Also you should call around with different aftermarket warranty companies as you can likely purchase an aftermarket warranty to cover future issues that can quickly pay for itself. USAA I find to be the best, but also had good luck with Mercury Ins.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IMHO ,you got that wrong, the catch can keeps any buildup from happening and consequently there is no need for walnut blasting, my fJCW has 50k miles and a clean bill of valve/intake port health because of the catch can

Now a faulty PCV valve is another matter.

Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
No mention of walnut blasting --- intake valve cleaning. Needs to be done "periodically", especially when a catch can is connected AND the rear PCV hose is disabled. PCV issues can cause excessive oil consumption --- my pet peeve on the N14. .......

Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd take it to be inspected and see what they say. I bought my '09 fJCW with 60k on it after two owners across the country. Although it had with less evident issues on repairs than yours there's also fewer records from dealer service departments. But it's been running fine for 3k miles so far and two inspections have said it looks good, one at a dealer. So if the dealer inspection comes out ok I'd try to haggle the price a bit and if it goes down give it a shot. I do plan to get mine walnut blasted though just in case.

As for the DoS, I figure you'll probably find folks on here who'd be willing to buy/trade.

Edit: Looking at the date difference perhaps I should asking what you decided? lol

Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 PM
timski
4th Gear
Thanks for asking.
Actually I did buy it. Asking was $19,789
And walked out with the JCW for $18,500.

Bought it from a Fiat dealership.
I was ready to negotiate and I did get $1300 off and 3 months of Sirius.

I knew Fiat did a 130 point inspection - because I have the records. And out of that inspection
They put on 2 new front tires and brake pads
And a new down pipe and cat.

This invoice for these repairs was for $2k. Not bad.

I called Mini while I was at the dealership, and before I bought it, and they said it has the extended maintenance until 12/31/16 (but factory warranty expired) so that's sweet and 3k miles before arriving at the Fiat dealership it was serviced including brake flush and new plugs. It's sitting right at 48,900 miles.

At this point I have all the maintenance records and it was maintained amazingly and also hasn't been driven but a few hundred miles the last year as it has been on the Fiat and Volvo showroom floors.

I wasn't sure I was getting a great deal at $18,500 but if consider half the exhaust is new and new front tires (back tires look like maybe a year old)
and it's been maintained and serviced well and all the major recall and problems dealt with already I'd say I at least did ok leaning towards a good purchase.

The car looks great. I was a little worried that perhaps someone took it to the track but it feels tight and nothing is worn out.

I did notice the turbo and air inlet hoses have been all upgraded to silicone and it appears an upgraded rear sway and springs haven been upgraded as well as the catch can DoS CAI added.

I was a little cautious seeing the mods but this car has been through like 3 full inspections in the last year including one by Mini. Ha

So I hope all is well. It idles great and drives perfectly. So fingers crossed and hope I made a good decision.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Nice! You got a fair bit for the price. Fingers crossed it works out, in the meantime enjoy it!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 PM
timski
4th Gear
And the pic.

Possible 2011 JCW N14 purchase (like tomorrow)-image-1968234400.jpg

Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a 11 JCW with 22K from Car Max for 25G. Which last week I collided on PCH in Malibu and so brought the car back to Dallas for body repair. Damage to hood, bumper and fender but still tracks perfectly. Some damage to radiator and condenser which they get bowed in - typical. Needs replacing.

Not sure about the walnut blasting the intake but I do know to keep the oil topped off and let the turbo time out before shutting down. Car is amazing. Plugs at 30K. Oil change every 5K according to my mechanic in LA - M Shop.

I have a late build in 2010. Going to check on the extended warranty for drive train. Interesting. Mine is a 360 sunroof/Hatch. Same color. Car had the water pump replaced because the old ones were defective.

Good luck with it and use top tier gas only. Chevron is best.

Here's the car now. Hurts to see this. OH well. NEVER TEXT WHILE DRIVING.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:22 PM
mcc21
1st Gear
Originally Posted by timski
Thanks for asking.
Actually I did buy it. Asking was $19,789
And walked out with the JCW for $18,500.

Bought it from a Fiat dealership.
I was ready to negotiate and I did get $1300 off and 3 months of Sirius.

I knew Fiat did a 130 point inspection - because I have the records. And out of that inspection
They put on 2 new front tires and brake pads
And a new down pipe and cat.

This invoice for these repairs was for $2k. Not bad.

I called Mini while I was at the dealership, and before I bought it, and they said it has the extended maintenance until 12/31/16 (but factory warranty expired) so that's sweet and 3k miles before arriving at the Fiat dealership it was serviced including brake flush and new plugs. It's sitting right at 48,900 miles.

At this point I have all the maintenance records and it was maintained amazingly and also hasn't been driven but a few hundred miles the last year as it has been on the Fiat and Volvo showroom floors.

I wasn't sure I was getting a great deal at $18,500 but if consider half the exhaust is new and new front tires (back tires look like maybe a year old)
and it's been maintained and serviced well and all the major recall and problems dealt with already I'd say I at least did ok leaning towards a good purchase.

The car looks great. I was a little worried that perhaps someone took it to the track but it feels tight and nothing is worn out.

I did notice the turbo and air inlet hoses have been all upgraded to silicone and it appears an upgraded rear sway and springs haven been upgraded as well as the catch can DoS CAI added.

I was a little cautious seeing the mods but this car has been through like 3 full inspections in the last year including one by Mini. Ha

So I hope all is well. It idles great and drives perfectly. So fingers crossed and hope I made a good decision.
I don't know what is the usual pricing in America, but seems like that an great price for Canadian market. $18500 USD is excellent pricing for no accidents, everything replaced, some minor mods, and still two years warranty from Mini.

I bought my 2011 Cooper S with 33000 kms for 23500 CDN which is the same as what you paid for $18800 USD, and I had to add $1600 CDN for the 2 year warranty from Mini.

Everything in Canada is expensive =(

Old 04-08-2015, 04:48 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
looks

GOOD! post a pic

Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 PM
timski
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mcc21
I don't know what is the usual pricing in America, but seems like that an great price for Canadian market. $18500 USD is excellent pricing for no accidents, everything replaced, some minor mods, and still two years warranty from Mini. I bought my 2011 Cooper S with 33000 kms for 23500 CDN which is the same as what you paid for $18800 USD, and I had to add $1600 CDN for the 2 year warranty from Mini. Everything in Canada is expensive =(
Yep well a lot more people in the states and
some of those people have way too much money (not me) and possibly don't spend it well. Ha

Just a ton of used cars to choose from.

Well after owning the JCW a month
I found out it needs a new battery
and needed the valve cover gasket replaced.

$150 for a red top Optima
$31 for valve cover.

Other than that....it's moving along fine.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:26 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
MAYBE because we work for it?

Hey getting back to JCWs. New battery and valve cover gasket? Tell me maybe the crankcase been overfilled and there's unusual electrical activity. i.e. never had to replace mine.

Yep well a lot more people in the states and
some of those people have way too much money (not me) and possibly don't spend it well. Ha

Just a ton of used cars to choose from.

Well after owning the JCW a month
I found out it needs a new battery
and needed the valve cover gasket replaced.

$150 for a red top Optima
$31 for valve cover.

Other than that....it's moving along fine.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM
timski
4th Gear
It is possible the oil was over-filled...not by me.

Actally, the the entire valve cover/pcv system is a known problem
and failure area. So I am not surprised being plastic.

4 years on battery is acceptable I guess although many people have seen
7+ years from the OEM battery.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Any Mini bought from new over the maintenance/warranty program has expired seems a money pit. It is why the dealer push so much for extended protection. Just my opinion.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:53 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Never

heard of those issues. I own an 11 JCW. No problem with battery or valve cover. Just sayin.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:02 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
AND AGREE you're screwed without a warranty. I started out hating my CARMAX sales person because she told me Minis suck and are unreliable. So I switched sales reps. hahaha And bought one down in Austin.

Turns out. She's partially right. They're temperamental and dependent on turbo/oil care. If you change the oil often and time out the turbo - you'll survive. But the known issues have been the chain tensioner and water pump in the pre 11's. N-14s.

UPSHOT: you have to baby the turbo. I've checked this and rechecked this and double triple quadruple checked this with top Mini mechanics in Dallas and LA. The cars are not POS as some have posted but they're not for everyone. You have to be into taking care of the machine and not just drive FAST AND FURIOUS. hahaha

Having said that: I'm looking to dump my 11 JCW and move into an N18 engine ASAP. hahaha

Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Looks nice. Think those Fiat dealers order up MINIs at the auction to drive in possible past onwers. I seen allot come from auction , not trade in.

When MINI first luanched in the US, a bunch of dealership in small cities bought them up to resell them on the corner lot (drive traffic ) and to put in there showrooms.
In 2002 -2005 they were even marked up over MSRP. The good old days.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-13-2015, 10:21 PM
timski
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Looks nice. Think those Fiat dealers order up MINIs at the auction to drive in possible past onwers. I seen allot come from auction , not trade in.

When MINI first luanched in the US, a bunch of dealership in small cities bought them up to resell them on the corner lot (drive traffic ) and to put in there showrooms.
In 2002 -2005 they were even marked up over MSRP. The good old days.

Yep this JCW has been to auction. Really difficult to get a clear and complete history but I do have all of the maintenance history and it was well taken care of. The Fiat dealership actually bought this car from a Volvo dealership that couldn't sell it apparently. It has been on one show room or the other the past 12 months. Like 3k miles put on it in the last year. It looks great and I am pretty happy with the purchase. I do all my own maintenance and repairs and love working on cars so with that in mind I'm sure I'll get a chance to work on it - ha - since I see many complaining about their cars breaking on this forum.

Last edited by timski; 04-13-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Looks like mine

HAVE A CHILI RED scoop if you want it. My auto body guy asked if I wanted to replace it with the black scoop but declined because IMO - too much red.

Also IMO - NO MOD STRIPES. Especially for this black/red roof combo. hahaha

Black wheels look cool. Mine are polished aluminum.

Yep this JCW has been to auction. Really difficult to get a clear and complete history but I do have all of the maintenance history and it was well taken care of. The Fiat dealership actually bought this car from a Volvo dealership that couldn't sell it apparently. It has been on one show room or the other the past 12 months. Like 3k miles put on it in the last year. It looks great and I am pretty happy with the purchase. I do all my own maintenance and repairs and love working on cars so with that in mind I'm sure I'll get a chance to work on it - ha - since I see many complaining about their cars breaking on this forum.

Quick Reply: JCW Possible 2011 JCW N14 purchase (like tomorrow)