JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Just picked up a 2004 w/ JCW kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up a 2004 w/ JCW kit

I just picked up a 2004 with JCW kit, aero kit, etc as a toy/DD. I've always wanted one and while driving through town I came across a nicely outfitted 2004 PW. Obviously The gearing, LSD, and 05+ headlights are all wants but hardly needs for my use, not for now anyway.

A little back story on myself. I've owned a few e30's, e36's, and still have one of each. e30 325ix and a 2000 BMW Mcoupe e36/7 if you're into codes.

The MINI has 111k on the clock so it's probably due up for some maintenance. I know the previous owner personally. He's both mechanically inclined and seems to maintain his stuff but he's not an enthusiast of any kind. The brakes were just done, new alternator, and I believe he said the steering pump was done.

Should anything be on my immediate list of maintenance items? Any recommended upgrades. It rides pretty rough on the JCW suspension and sits low enough for where I live. I suppose it's possible that the struts are toast but it seems to handle pretty well (especially for sitting on snows at the moment).

Attached Thumbnails Just picked up a 2004 w/ JCW kit-mini.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome to be MINIacs... Sounds like a sweet ride.

Motor on!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hate to do it but let's see that m coupe. Congrats of the mini both fun cars.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice find. Here's what I would probably check as well to name a few:

-belt
-tensioner
-cabin filter
-oil change

Old 01-10-2015, 09:52 PM
00Mini
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The harmonic balancer failing can ruin your day very quickly so keeping an eye on it or replacing it can be most beneficial.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome looks good.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-11-2015, 09:35 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Here is the Mcoupe and the 325ix.

I'll look into those items. I may just have to put a list together and do an big order.

Does anyone know someone that is well versed in MINI's near Gettysburg, PA?

Attached Thumbnails Just picked up a 2004 w/ JCW kit-img_6245.jpg   Just picked up a 2004 w/ JCW kit-img_1033.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 10:21 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DRMCDAVE
Here is the Mcoupe and the 325ix. I'll look into those items. I may just have to put a list together and do an big order. Does anyone know someone that is well versed in MINI's near Gettysburg, PA?
you have some fun cars, those e30 325xi are hard to find.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
you have some fun cars, those e30 325xi are hard to find.
The originals was 325ix not sure why they changed it to 325xi. Nevertheless it's a cool car but pretty old now. I rarely drive it but I can't bring myself to sell it. It just has that cool 80/90's look to it. If e30 M3 weren't going into the stratosphere pricing wise I'd try to find one but decent ones are selling in the low to mid 20's now.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
PM sent

Motor on!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Stinch
3rd Gear
DRMCDAVE

Your Mini sounds a lot like my 2004 MSC/JCW with 121k miles that I bought this past December. After reading this forum, I've since changed the oil in the s/c, crank sensor o-ring, thermostat and housing, and the oil pan gasket. Really got to know the front of my car after that. Did find the upper radiator hose had rubbed thin in one spot so I replaced that. Would have never found the hose issue if I hadn't gone as far as I did.

That is a big plus if your power steering pump was replaced along with the fan. Mine has not been replaced yet and is covered in oil from the hoses. My control arm bushings are cracked and will get replaced in the spring along with the pump and hoses. Belt tensioner from Amazon and replacing the crank pulley with a ATI unit is soon to follow.

Good luck with your MCS and have fun.

Rich

Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Stinch
DRMCDAVE

Your Mini sounds a lot like my 2004 MSC/JCW with 121k miles that I bought this past December. After reading this forum, I've since changed the oil in the s/c, crank sensor o-ring, thermostat and housing, and the oil pan gasket. Really got to know the front of my car after that. Did find the upper radiator hose had rubbed thin in one spot so I replaced that. Would have never found the hose issue if I hadn't gone as far as I did.

That is a big plus if your power steering pump was replaced along with the fan. Mine has not been replaced yet and is covered in oil from the hoses. My control arm bushings are cracked and will get replaced in the spring along with the pump and hoses. Belt tensioner from Amazon and replacing the crank pulley with a ATI unit is soon to follow.

Good luck with your MCS and have fun.

Rich
Those are good recommendations. I think I'm going to start with a suspension overhaul and then go from there.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DRMCDAVE
I just picked up a 2004 with JCW kit, aero kit, etc as a toy/DD. I've always wanted one and while driving through town I came across a nicely outfitted 2004 PW. Obviously The gearing, LSD, and 05+ headlights are all wants but hardly needs for my use, not for now anyway.

A little back story on myself. I've owned a few e30's, e36's, and still have one of each. e30 325ix and a 2000 BMW Mcoupe e36/7 if you're into codes.

The MINI has 111k on the clock so it's probably due up for some maintenance. I know the previous owner personally. He's both mechanically inclined and seems to maintain his stuff but he's not an enthusiast of any kind. The brakes were just done, new alternator, and I believe he said the steering pump was done.

Should anything be on my immediate list of maintenance items? Any recommended upgrades. It rides pretty rough on the JCW suspension and sits low enough for where I live. I suppose it's possible that the struts are toast but it seems to handle pretty well (especially for sitting on snows at the moment).
Looks clean! Aftermarket bumper too? If you haven't done the in warranty power steering pump / fan replacement just be aware that it can over heat and fail (They won't replace it until it does and it has been noted to fail more than once.) Bushings of all kinds are known to go (Control Arm and Sway Bar mostly). Watch electronics and make sure they all function normally (some reported ECU Problems.) Keep an ear out for any grinding sounds from the Super Charger as well as timing chain rattle. Charger can dry out inside from loss or use of S/C oil. Some folks have done clutch depending on how hard it was driven.

Upgrades... People go with poly bushings to tighten it up a little. An Air intake mod usually happens, but the JCW air box is pretty good so maybe a filter. Some people do the diagonal Cabrio braces and strut bar. Cat backs sound good. People lower them, but personally the Cooper is far low enough for me. A lot of people do the Aux input retrofit for the stock radio (ECS Tuning). Carbon fiber add-ons are common. Rims if you want, some of the stock rims are boring. Though yours look pretty good. Some people have done the Oil plug drain valve to make Oil Changes easier. GET RID of run flat tires. Super charger pulley mod 15% - 17% seems really common.

I'd imagine you've done your research haha. You seem really into your cars! Good choice overall. I imagine the price tag isn't bad now KBB price dropped 3k on my 2005 MCS R53 since I bought it in April :( .

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions. I don't have a lot of the mods cause I'm broke, but I think I could give some helpful tips / advice.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 PM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
I like the JCW intake and exhuast. This is my DD so they are fine. I do have a set of 18 inch OZ superleggeras that came with the car. I'm going to get some Michelin Pilot SS for those once the weather improves.

I was thinking about refreshing the bushings, and doing the rear sway bar and camber plates after the winter.

The other thing I really want are facelift headlights and a LSD both are which are pretty costly.

I'm a fan of an OEM+ type cars especially for a DD so I'll try to keep it classy.