JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW SCCA Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
SCCA Autocross

Haven't seen any recent auto-x threads for the JCW specifically -

Now that the season's over, any ideas on plans for 2013 for you guys?

i.e., class you'll run in, mods you're considering (especially if you're in stock class)? seems for those running in STF (?), you still can't swap in a mechanical diff (correct me if I'm wrong) - does that mean for those who are running a mechanical, you have to run in at least a SP class?

Would be cool to get a discussion going. I'm still at least 6mo out from getting a JCW, as I have things I need to do with the evo first, but I'm looking at the JCW as a dd/autox car, so I'm very curious about what you guys who regularly auto-x have planned, especially those running in a stock class.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran stock class for my first year of autocross (D-stock). I have put a H-sport Competition rear sway bar so far and that made a nice difference. I will likely be putting on Koni Sport shocks with my stock non-sport springs. I will also be buying some new light weight wheels and putting on a set of Dunlop Star spec tires for next season. I plan on staying in stock class and thats what I would recommend. You will be up against some really quick cars with any modifications that are not allowed. They say the best modification is driving skill, next would be tires.

This season was my first season and I only made half of the events for my local club but I was pretty competitive. I have a feeling with more time and better tires I will fair very well locally.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I ran stock class for my first year of autocross (D-stock). I have put a H-sport Competition rear sway bar so far and that made a nice difference. I will likely be putting on Koni Sport shocks with my stock non-sport springs. I will also be buying some new light weight wheels and putting on a set of Dunlop Star spec tires for next season. I plan on staying in stock class and thats what I would recommend. You will be up against some really quick cars with any modifications that are not allowed. They say the best modification is driving skill, next would be tires.

This season was my first season and I only made half of the events for my local club but I was pretty competitive. I have a feeling with more time and better tires I will fair very well locally.
Interesting - have you considered maybe JCW springs (or whatever is stiffest offered from the factory) + the dampers? Just for whatever small edge that may provide

ps: is this the rear bar you're referring to? so glad scca went with front or rear sway in 2012 http://www.hotchkis.net/mini_cooper_..._rear_bar.html

Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Technically if you switch to the JCW springs you would take the car out of D-stock. To stay in D-stock and use the JCW springs you would need every component. The stock JCW shocks, springs, and front swaybar. Obviously you could change out the rear swaybar per the 2012 rules.

Locally I don't think it would really matter and could stay in D-stock but if I wanted to compete nationally (not gonna happen any time soon) then it would have to be the entire JCW suspension... That said I have thought about getting JCW red springs with Koni yellows...

Oh, and yes, thats the sway bar I bought. I got it from Way: http://www.waymotorworks.com/h-sport...-sway-bar.html

I have it on the medium setting. I really am tempted to try the stiff setting because I could handle more oversteer but I am getting really used to it on medium and very competitive on that setting. If I can do some "fun" autocross events that are not for points then I may Experiment with the stiffest setting.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Technically if you switch to the JCW springs you would take the car out of D-stock. To stay in D-stock and use the JCW springs you would need every component. The stock JCW shocks, springs, and front swaybar. Obviously you could change out the rear swaybar per the 2012 rules.

Locally I don't think it would really matter and could stay in D-stock but if I wanted to compete nationally (not gonna happen any time soon) then it would have to be the entire JCW suspension... That said I have thought about getting JCW red springs with Koni yellows...

Oh, and yes, thats the sway bar I bought. I got it from Way: http://www.waymotorworks.com/h-sport...-sway-bar.html

I have it on the medium setting. I really am tempted to try the stiff setting because I could handle more oversteer but I am getting really used to it on medium and very competitive on that setting. If I can do some "fun" autocross events that are not for points then I may Experiment with the stiffest setting.
Gotcha - I'm a little confused; I thought in stock class, you can have the dampers switched out as well. Either way, if you have the entire JCW package you can still run in the stock class though?

Hotchkis has a smaller (19mm) sport rear bar but per your comments it seems the competition is more suitable for autocross.

Any comment on the ELSD?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Correct: You don't need to buy the JCW shocks nor both bars because you're allowed to replace the shocks and one bar.

The JCW suspension is legal in stock because it was offered as a port installation.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:24 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Correct: You don't need to buy the JCW shocks nor both bars because you're allowed to replace the shocks and one bar.

The JCW suspension is legal in stock because it was offered as a port installation.
But only if its complete right? You can't put in part of it. For example my car has the standard suspension. I would have to install the JCW front sway bar with the JCW springs to technically legal right?

So legal for D-stock could be JCW front swaybar, H-sport rear sway, JCW red springs, and koni sport shocks. Please correct me if I am wrong and the front swaybar change is not required.

Last edited by k_h_d; 11-05-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That's right, you must have all of the suspension kit. But then you can replace the shocks and one of the bars, so there's no point in buying those in the first place.

Either the front or rear JCW bar is required if you want to use the JCW springs.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
But only if its complete right? You can't put in part of it. For example my car has the standard suspension. I would have to install the JCW front sway bar with the JCW springs to technically legal right?

So legal for D-stock could be JCW front swaybar, H-sport rear sway, JCW red springs, and koni sport shocks. Please correct me if I am wrong and the front swaybar change is not required.
I reckon you are correct. Assuming (pardon my ignorance) that the BOM you list is identical to the JCW package as port installed. By identical note the use of the words "totally complete" in Section 13 below.

Then you list the legal allowances of shocks and the changing of one sway bar (either front or rear).

Cheers,

Charlie

The relevant language is this (Section 13 - 2012 Solo Rules):

"Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles
of a particular make and model, but only between configurations
from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally
complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section."

Taken with 13.5 Shock Absorbers, and finally

13.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Anybody know of a good place to order the JCW springs and how much they are?

At morristown mini I think they are almost $200 a spring but I am unclear if they are included with the "Sport Suspension package", or if they are extra.

http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/2...CenterId=30253

Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
jer361
1st Gear
I was looking into getting the JCW kit as well and doing the install myself. I found it here for around $770 shipped. Has anyone ordered from these guys before?

http://trademotion.com/partlocator/i...catalogid=5277

Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
^ good clarification.

no comment on how you guys feel about elsd during autox?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:06 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2005 R53 had the factory LSD which I liked. Now I have the ELSD. Maybe something is wrong with the ELSD in my car but I have experienced considerable wheel spin when accelerating out of tight turns.

Autocross classification question: In the Rocky Mountain chapter of the BMWCCA, my GP2 is in B Street class. In SCCA autocross, a JCW is in C class and I don't see a listing for the JCW GP. Any thoughts? Could one put a GP brakes and or suspension on a JCW (or any MINI) and stay in the same class?

Last edited by Johnna; 01-06-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
I'm thinking of entering a winter autocross or two. Tire suggestions?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The GP was too limited so SCCA didn't bother to put it in a class.
Since the R56 JCW is DS, I ran in DS as well. No one complained.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
BMWCCA and SCCA don't really follow the same classing methodology. At least not in our region.

OP you should be able to email your bmwcca autocross chapter and they'll help with classing your car.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using NAMotoring

Old 01-07-2015, 07:20 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Johnna
My 2005 R53 had the factory LSD which I liked. Now I have the ELSD. Maybe something is wrong with the ELSD in my car but I have experienced considerable wheel spin when accelerating out of tight turns.

Autocross classification question: In the Rocky Mountain chapter of the BMWCCA, my GP2 is in B Street class. In SCCA autocross, a JCW is in C class and I don't see a listing for the JCW GP. Any thoughts? Could one put a GP brakes and or suspension on a JCW (or any MINI) and stay in the same class?
what tires are you on? and yea, elsd is not as good as mechanical

Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
OK. I'll sign up as DS for this weekend and confirm it with the event organiser.

For tires, I'll be using a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to ask the SEB to class the GP2 http://crbscca.com

DS is definitely not the right place for it and I'd be protesting (formally or informally) if someone wanted to run one against me. It doesn't have large enough sales volume to qualify for street (and ST.?) The GP was classed in DSP, that seems a suitable place for, I wouldn't be protesting that.

The SEB did have a request to class the GP2 before it was actually available, but they declined at that time. Now they'd have no excuse not to if asked.