JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Turbo Failing after Recall Performed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 AM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Failing after Recall Performed

My father and I both have JCW MINI's, mine is a 2009, his is a 2010. We have both had regular R56 Cooper S's as well, and have run those on the track at Watkins Glen. I ran my JCW last October at the Glen BEFORE having the recall performed, and the car ran beautifully. My father purchased his car just after that event.

We both had the water pump recall performed on our cars by the closest MINI dealership in April.

My Dad had his car at the Glen for an event Monday 5/28/12, and he got one lap out of the car before he had a loss of boost. And those of you who have an S or a JCW know that without boost the car is a dog, worse than the regular Cooper. He pulled into the garage had a mechanic check the car out and clear the code. He went back out and the same thing happened, no boost and the check enging light came on.

My Dad called me to tell me what happened and since I was not participating in the event which was on 5/28-29, I told him that when I got out of work I would bring my car down to him so he could run my car on the track and not lose out on the second day.

So I brought my car to him last night and he ran it on the track this morning. He just called me and told me the same thing happened to my car, no boost, check engine light is on, this time after 3 laps. I never had this happen in my car before the recall. I think it is logical that there is a problem with the work that was done for the recall, given that the same issue has popped up on two virtually identical cars.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Does my logic seem flawed?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a thread in the Stock Problems/Issues sub-forum that you'll probably want to review; several folks have complained about this undesired 'side-effect' following the auxiliary water pump recall service. Search other sub-forums for related threads as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 AM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
I wanted to know more of who has had the issue with track driving.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never had this happen, but I know it's pretty common for these cars to go into "limp mode" when pushed hard, especially if they're tuned. It's stupid because our JCWs are supposed to be pretty much track-ready.

Are the cars boosting at all since they cooled down after the track?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:30 AM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
They will boost a little, however they should not have a problem doing it consistantly. I never had a problem before the recall going out and running my car for 45 minutes really hard.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine is a 2009 S, not a JCW, but I did a track day shortly after having the pump recall with no issues.....

You say you reset it with the code reader, have you gotten the codes from the reader to see why it's going into limp mode?

Is either car tuned, or are they both stock?

I think the title of your thread is misleading, your turbo has not failed, either you have an elecrtonics issue or something else, but your turbo hasn't "failed"...

Last edited by MINIdave; 05-29-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
what code was pulled? just curious, as it sounds more like an issue with your boost/wastegate solenoid. question, do you get this quacking (duck like sound) when you shut off the vehicle? The boost solenoids have been known to go bad, and I've personally changed a few myself.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 AM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Mine is a 2009 S, not a JCW, but I did a track day shortly after having the pump recall with no issues.....

You say you reset it with the code reader, have you gotten the codes from the reader to see why it's going into limp mode?

Is either car tuned, or are they both stock?

I think the title of your thread is misleading, your turbo has not failed, either you have an elecrtonics issue or something else, but your turbo hasn't "failed"...
I said failing, as in failing to give boost. I'm not getting a sematics debate over the title of a thread.

My car is stock, my fathers is tuned.

I was not resetting the codes, one of the mechanics at the track was, I do not know what the codes were.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's not a matter of semantics, it's a matter of giving accurate information to get accurate information.

It would really help if you had the codes, otherwise it's all just guesswork on our parts.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
It's not a matter of semantics, it's a matter of giving accurate information to get accurate information.

It would really help if you had the codes, otherwise it's all just guesswork on our parts.

I gave all the information I have in my initial post. I am looking to see if others have experienced similar results after having the recall done. If so what was the diagnosed problem by the dealer.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear

This.

I work as a Mini technician so if you had codes, i might be able to better assist you. your base information is very vague at best, and worse then what some of the service writers blab on my RO's.

Once again, my random guess based on your given information is a failed wastegate/boost solenoid.