JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 2012 JCW vs. 2012 Golf R something I have to consider

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 JCW vs. 2012 Golf R something I have to consider

Ok, so I got a call from the dealership on Friday and said that their could be a delay on my 2012 JCW....they said potential long side could be early Feb. I told them this was not acceptable as they told me the later would be the 1st week of January. So they asked to give them 10 days to try and correct things...
.....well it got me questioning things and the first that came to mind was the 2012 Golf R.

Here are MY thoughts and my perspective:

1)Price is equal- with the way I have optioned my JCW the price is almost identical to the Golf R (two door with the NAV/sunroof/keyless entry and start/stereo upgrade)

2) I like the fact that both cars are mod friendly. Which is important to me since I can't seem to leave well enough alone.

3) Both cars have similar performance stats out of the gate ( very similar power to weight ratio) Although I think the R will have much more potential when it comes to HP, then on the other side I think handling would go to the JCW especially with the 600lb weight advantage.

Here are the quick stats (approx)

2012 JCW (my spec with options)
Price $36,000
2650 lbs
1.6l Turbo
208 HP/214TQ
6MT
Front wheel drive

2012 Golf R
Price $35,500
3250 lbs
2.0l Turbo
256 HP/245 TQ
6MT
All wheel (4 Gen. Haldex system)

I'm not looking to start any chest beating. These are both great cars, I'm just trying to look at this again since the dealer has put me in this position.
Im looking for anyones perspective, especially the ones that looked or are looking at the Golf R.....thanks

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AWD is nice but it's still a Golf. I can appreciate the GTI and R as being a great car, but I am not liking the looks at all.

Not sure why your dealer is talking about delays, but I'm guessing not likely their fault. I put a deposit down in the summer to ensure I get an early 2012 JCW. Can you try another dealership that might have an earlier build slot?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have to look at this long term. When you ordered the car, you knew you were going to have to wait for it. I'll assume that you really want the JCW more (who wouldn't?), but are considering a VW out of frustration. I can certainly understand the frustration of waiting, but that's what we accept when we order a new MINI.

The best way to look at it, is that several years down the road, you won't be worrying that it took another 4 weeks to get. Instead, you will be having a blast motoring in a JCW and wondering why you even considered a VW in the first place. "Sticking it" to the dealership hurts nobody but yourself. The extra 4 weeks will quickly become insignificant. Now that I have had my S-JCW for 2 months, I realize that the stress I put upon myself during the waiting period simply wasn't worth it, because the joy of driving this beast would be worth waiting a lot longer than I already had to.

The answer? Step back and breathe. Sounds crazy, but you should ENJOY the wait, not stress over it, and realize that you will get the car that you know you really want. In the meantime, plan some more mods, and practice your waving technique!

Jon

Last edited by Subzero; 10-12-2011 at 04:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
finallyAmini (12-09-2022)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this comes down to need vs want. My personal preference is for the JCW (but this is expected as its posted on a MINI forum), but real world issues come into play here. Do you need a car or can you go without the MINI for a few more weeks? As Subzero mentioned, 4 weeks in the grand scheme of things isn't a huge deal, but not having a car and needing to get to work would be a problem if you're sans car.

I like the R on paper, and its definitely more user friendly...much bigger trunk, more interior room...but VW has had so many continuing electrical and servicing issues that I wouldn't be able to deal wtih them. You also lose out on some other niceties with VW opposed to MINI, such as loaner cars when your vehicle needs servicing. The AWD does present an easy way to get a ton of power, but I just love the way a MINI drives and always has a way of making you smile when you see it in the parking lot. Not the same with other vehicles.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what was the issue with the delay? I'm assuming since you mentioned it was caused by the dealer, that they muffed on your order specs?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Yes, I believe you are correct about the dealership. I don't blame them, and I don't they they are playing any games. I actually like them and plan on continuing the relationship. I believe they will do what they can in trying to locate a build slot.
When are you expecting your delivery? And when did you get your build date?.
Thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted by walk0080
AWD is nice but it's still a Golf. I can appreciate the GTI and R as being a great car, but I am not liking the looks at all.

Not sure why your dealer is talking about delays, but I'm guessing not likely their fault. I put a deposit down in the summer to ensure I get an early 2012 JCW. Can you try another dealership that might have an earlier build slot?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
The wait isn't an issue as far as use of a vehicle. I looked at this delay as "everything happens for a reason", and am taking the opportunity to take a second look.
I think you touched on one of the reasons I placed the order for the JCW in the first place. The Mini JCW is a unique vehicle (especially with the chili red roof and mirrors) and I am sure it would bring a smile to my face everyday.
Thanks NJ Mini, you did touch on a strong point for me.

Originally Posted by NJ Mini
I think this comes down to need vs want. My personal preference is for the JCW (but this is expected as its posted on a MINI forum), but real world issues come into play here. Do you need a car or can you go without the MINI for a few more weeks? As Subzero mentioned, 4 weeks in the grand scheme of things isn't a huge deal, but not having a car and needing to get to work would be a problem if you're sans car.

I like the R on paper, and its definitely more user friendly...much bigger trunk, more interior room...but VW has had so many continuing electrical and servicing issues that I wouldn't be able to deal wtih them. You also lose out on some other niceties with VW opposed to MINI, such as loaner cars when your vehicle needs servicing. The AWD does present an easy way to get a ton of power, but I just love the way a MINI drives and always has a way of making you smile when you see it in the parking lot. Not the same with other vehicles.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what was the issue with the delay? I'm assuming since you mentioned it was caused by the dealer, that they muffed on your order specs?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 AM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
I saw the press release on the U.S. version of the Golf R too. On paper, there's a comparison to made and perhaps even a strong argument for the Golf R. But, as others have stated, there's a reason why we're drawn to the JCW and why we're willing to wait (myself included)--there are intangibles, such as personal preference on design, character, etc. that we love about the car.

Just curious, but what reason did your dealer cite for the delay? Is it an issue at the factory for all JCWs or was it something specific about the allocation / order?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm one of the biggest MINI fans around....but the Golf R is VERY tempting.

It's going to be a beast right out of the box, and I can promise you the aftermarket/tuning scene for it will be light years ahead of what it is for the JCW. Dunno if you are into that...but for me, that'd sway me towards to Vdub.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I'm one of the biggest MINI fans around....but the Golf R is VERY tempting.

It's going to be a beast right out of the box, and I can promise you the aftermarket/tuning scene for it will be light years ahead of what it is for the JCW. Dunno if you are into that...but for me, that'd sway me towards to Vdub.
I'm feeling the exact same way. We already know that the tuning potential is going to be way higher than it is for the JCW.

If the local lot gets one I'm going to have to take it for a spin.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Years back I had a 2001 audi S4 and really liked the "sleeper" aspect of that car and i think the Golf R will have the same capabilities. I bought a lot of upgrades from APR back then and always liked them and their products. It seems they have moved into a much better position since those days. Still miss that car 9 years after i let her go.

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I'm feeling the exact same way. We already know that the tuning potential is going to be way higher than it is for the JCW.

If the local lot gets one I'm going to have to take it for a spin.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the Golf R is the best allrounder VW has ever brought to our shores (although it's sure taking them a long time!). Anyone here who discounts their appeal hasn't read up them and has pure MINI fanboi written all over their face.
My 2011 JCW stickered for around $35K and that was pretty much the maximum I will spend for a MINI. Had the R been around last year for a thousand more, who knows?
I do believe you need to weigh the pros and cons for both, and keep in mind that the delivery date for the R seems to be a moving target too, with the very earliest possibility being December, but most likely January/February, so pretty much same timeframe as the JCW. And if you've been keeping up with R news, the first 600 were allocated a couple weeks ago and all ordered either as pre-sold customer units or dealer cars. Supposedly the next allocations won't get doled out until late this month, so unless you've got a line on one of the first, you'd still be waiting.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Gold R for me too. Mini has just as many problems and faults to worry about but the golf build quality is alot better. I love the Look and Specs of the R and also the aftermarket. I have had enough of high powered front wheelers too so I would like the 4wd. the R will also be quicker stock.
I had a massive wait for my mini, then when it finally came the dealer cracked the front bumper and I had to wait another month for a new one. they gave me the free JCW brakes for it and now when I think back the extra month waiting was nothing and I love my car.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Meh, the Golf is boring looking. Now, if they would bring the Scirocco R to the states, I'd pick one of those up in a heartbeat to keep my JCW company. Back in my youth, I had a Cosmos Silver 1981 Scirocco S with 2.0L Techtonic's engine with header and exhaust, Recarro seats and light weight 16" BBS rims and it was a blast. Think it weighted all of 1900 lbs...

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 10-12-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 AM
mini4tide
3rd Gear
I'd grab the Golf R without delay over the MINI. Or for your budget, I'd consider the 300 hp BMW 135i or pick up a used 400+hp Audi RS4 Quattro, 333 hp S4 Quattro, or any Audi for that matter before I paid $36k for a MINI. I have owned 4 Audi's and have NEVER been dissapointed. I also own a MINI S, and I love it but they are WORLDS APART when it comes to build quality and customer service. The VW Golf R would probably be no exception. That almost hurts my brain to think about a $36k MINI! I mean no disrespect, but these cars should cost no more than $15-17k tops! JCW being $17k! There's just no way...too many issues, rattles, cheap components etc...JMO

Last edited by mini4tide; 10-13-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:15 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I've driven VWs almost exclusively for the last 15 years and have owned a Mk IV, V, and VI GTIs/R32s. It's a VERY different driving experience and will boil down to what you want from a car. It's similar to the M3 vs the JCW. Wait, wait, hear me out.

I had an E90 M3. It's everything an M3 is cracked up to be. It was, however, not much fun unless you were at 9/10ths or better. Anything under that and it didn't feel much different from a 330. That's not bad, but a JCW is altogether different. it's MUCH more fun on a daily basis and you don't have to beat the crap out of it to make it fun. The .:R is like the M3. Almost indistinguishable from a Golf unless you're hammering on it. During daily driving it's polite, quiet, refined, etc. A MINI isn't. Well, not as much.

So that, in a nutshell, is why I moved from the M3 to a JCW Clubbie.

Hopefully the info helps.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
I had an E90 M3. It's everything an M3 is cracked up to be. It was, however, not much fun unless you were at 9/10ths or better. Anything under that and it didn't feel much different from a 330. That's not bad, but a JCW is altogether different. it's MUCH more fun on a daily basis and you don't have to beat the crap out of it to make it fun. The .:R is like the M3. Almost indistinguishable from a Golf unless you're hammering on it. During daily driving it's polite, quiet, refined, etc. A MINI isn't. Well, not as much.
Totally agree with you there. A friend of mine has a 2011 APR tuned GTI. It feels like a family sedan until he starts slamming on the gas and the tires start spinning everywhere. It's definitely not as nimble as the JCW though, and it's still barely faster even with about 60 or 70+ hp and tq.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Also remember that VW is only brining around 4000 Golf R's to the US. There will not be that many around.

For me there is no question I would go Golf R over the JCW any day. VW's have a very active owners scene and there are heaps more tuning options and parts for VWs than MINI's.

Oh and I owned 3 GTIs before buying the MINI so Im a little biased.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
This is not an easy decision. Their have been many good points made as to the pros and cons to each car. I can't say I have disagreed with many of the comments at one point in the tennis game going back and forth in my head.
The biggest pros right now for me for the JCW is the unique look and the go-cart like feel, cons would be interior build quality and limited tuning/aftermarket options.

The biggest pros for the Golf R would have to be the large tuning/aftermarket options, all wheel drive and I love the steering wheel, cons would be lack of identity with the body just looks like a normal golf for the most part (although I do like the sleeper aspect), unknown of never driven the car.

just thought I needed to put some thoughts down, maybe it will help me

Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pheatton
Also remember that VW is only brining around 4000 Golf R's to the US. There will not be that many around.

If this is true I doubt that anyone will pay MSRP. It will be MSRP plus $$$

Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
It doesn't look to be the case from others I have heard from, and I know I would be paying under MSRP, as a friend of mine owns several VW dealers.

Originally Posted by PatM
If this is true I doubt that anyone will pay MSRP. It will be MSRP plus $$$

Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
The tuning market for the newer VWs is NOT as large as some have said. VW, like everyone else, is making ECU upgrades a HUGE pain in the ***. Parts are coming out, but not any faster than MINI tuners.

I know it's in a completely different price category, but I'd take a TTRS over a Golf .:R any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hell, I'd take a TTS over a Golf .:R.

I PROMISE you you'll pay more than MSRP. The 1G R32 was selling for more than it's original MSRP 5 years after it was released. When they were new it was retarded how much the markup was. The new .:R, with it's limited production run, WILL be more than MSRP. Guaranteed.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 AM
micron
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
The tuning market for the newer VWs is NOT as large as some have said. VW, like everyone else, is making ECU upgrades a HUGE pain in the ***. Parts are coming out, but not any faster than MINI tuners.
I got to disagree with ya there. My coworker bought a new GTI a few days before I bought my 2012 MINI. He had his tune and had multiple paths to go down within a week of purchasing it... meanwhile, the MINI community still waits for someone to crack the N18...

Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
4000 .:R's is a lot more than the ~1300 JCWs in the country.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by micron
I got to disagree with ya there. My coworker bought a new GTI a few days before I bought my 2012 MINI. He had his tune and had multiple paths to go down within a week of purchasing it... meanwhile, the MINI community still waits for someone to crack the N18...
Being that we're in the JCW Garage that argument is kind of moot.

Also, and this is HUGE, new VWs require ECU removal and opening to tune. I'm NOT ok with that. It's why my 2011 A4 still isn't done.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
4000 .:R's is a lot more than the ~1300 JCWs in the country.
But isn't that only because no one orders JCWs rather than purposeful limiting of the number of cars by the manufacturer?

Quick Reply: JCW 2012 JCW vs. 2012 Golf R something I have to consider