JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

HELP...All MINI OWNERS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
redbullfx2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP...All MINI OWNERS

Hey all Mini Owners,
I don't know what to do, this is the only place I could think of to get help...because I'm getting ripped off.

BACKGROUND info:
I was on my home 2 weeks ago and the rpm's on my JCW kept peaking, at first I did not make the connection with my clutch slipping, but I finally realized while traveling up a hill and my clutch just went.

I bought my Mini about a year ago and it only has ~9,100 miles on it.

Unfortunately I had aftermarket parts (intake, bov, intercooler) on my car, and Keeler Mini refuses to warranty my clutch because of them, and they were never straight forward with how my clutch broke in the first place. I'll be the first to admit that I like acceleration, but not all the time, and I know how to drive stick, and even if I didn't I would say that one would have to be trying to destroy the clutch at that many miles.

I have argued with the dealer and will keep arguing, I hope someone here can give me some sort of advice, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:11 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You're probably out of luck. Engine mods create more HP and that can have an effect on the clutch. I'm not saying that's the reason it went, but that's the stand just about any dealer will take. The only other thing you might try is to put it all back to stock and take it to another dealer. You might have to come up with some story on why you're not going to your local dealer, though.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
redbullfx2
2nd Gear
I'm already having it fixed, it just I don't want to have to pay the insanely high price tag for this clutch, which I guess is comparable to one that belongs in a semi-truck.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Call MINI customer relations.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
redbullfx2
2nd Gear
I will probably be calling them again...I'm looking into the magnusin-moss ( i don't that is the correct spelling) act...it say a lot about how the dealer can't do what they are doing to me.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:48 AM
redbullfx2
2nd Gear
I think my angle on this when I go to get my car (which is probably today or next week) is to use this act to my advantage, the car has a power-train warranty that should cover my clutch (especially well under 50,000 miles), they can't legally void when they can't conclusively prove that my mods increased hp, or a direct connection of how my mods effected the part. Otherwise they have to provide to me in writing that the aftermarket parts caused the failure of my clutch, and they have to be willing to go to court on that. I can also call the EPA? and the FTC, and complain about unfair/bad business practices by the dealer.

At this point if I can get the to accept the fact the a warranty is not void like they stated, and pay for part of this clutch then I'll be happy.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
s2k7
3rd Gear
Lesson learn---next time keep the stock parts and replace before going to dealer so there will be no hassle.
Not their fault.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't report them as a bad business as far as EPA or FTC. They are probably just following what has been the norm, and don't know any better. You should be able to use that act to your advantage (it sounds like). I will admit that it sounds a bit shady that they won't replace your clutch as it's in warranty. Those parts (intake, bov, intercooler), if they are the only ones, should not be giving you a significant horsepower boost.

Good luck to you, that's a sticky situation.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Note: Clutchs, like brake pads, are usually excluded items warranties because they are considered wear items.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
redbullfx2
2nd Gear
If the dealer was staight foward with me and told me that, I probably would agree...

I got it back today, the dealer said that the warrianty is void because of my aftermarket parts (which is the illeagl part) and when I ask why my clutch broke I was told "these things happen"

I'm working with customer service how is contacting the dealer, and I'm working with the FTC and EPA...who will probably be contacting them... I guess will see how this unfolds.