JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Stumble/Yo-yo with JCW MCS

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:38 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I placed an order for 2004 MCS to be delivered in early Dec. After reading all the quality issues on this forum, there's a growing uncertainty as to my decision. I just read somewhere in this forum that someone with new 2004 MCS already having stumble, yo-yo, etc.. :???:

In any case, I absolutely love this web site, which is very informative and provides an extensive owner support system! :smile:

I would like to have JCW prior to the delivery of my 2004 MCS. Does anyone with JCW share the same experience as some of the MCS, i.e. stumble, yo-yo, bog, etc..?

Old 10-24-2003, 04:05 AM
MGear
5th Gear
I had my 02 MCS for almost a year (6,300 miles) prior to having the JCW install. Prior to the JCW install I never had the stumble and could never quit figure out what everyone was complaining about. However, after having the JCW install I now, on occaision have the stumble, not all the time and it only occures with the first five minutes of running, after that usually never happens. However, one time it happened at a busy instersection in my small town as a dump truck came bearing down on my right. Luckily I didn't stall out or I would have had no car at all, the incident was great cause for concern. My next service will come in the spring, at which time I will get the software upgrade to number 35, hopefully that will help it. If the software upgrade doesn't cure it and the same incident occures again I will sell the car. The condition is too serious to ignore, my wife drives the car to work on occaision in much more conjested traffic than I experience driving to Starbucks and she wouldn't know what to do if she was faced with the stumble at an intersection with a dump truck bearing down at +50 miles an hour.

Old 10-24-2003, 04:24 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts
I have an '03 MCS with JCW. I had the JCW installed prior to picking up my car.
I now have over 3K miles. For the first time this week, it blatently bogged down. :evil:
Coming home from work, I was pulling onto the interstate and merging into traffic.
I shifted from 3rd to 4th, hit the gas, and the car fell flat on it's face. NOTHING!
I let off the gas, and back on, and the car took off.
Also, the power is inconsistent. About 80% of the time it has good power. The rest of the time, it has A LOT more. (this is most noticable in 1st and 2nd gear.)
One more thing. When I first start the engine cold. It gives a harsh buck when I let out the clutch in 1st gear. Only happens once. I know it's the car, not me.

Despite all this, I still love my car and do not regret my purchase. I was in a similar situation as yourself. I lurked around this board awhile while my car was on order. All of the anecdotes started freaking me out.

Old 10-24-2003, 05:15 AM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
I picked up my '04 with JCW just three weeks ago and already have over 3,000 miles (don't ask) but it is perfect. There is not a single thing I can find wrong with the car. I absolutely love this car and look forward to driving EVERY day. Power is always available, although when I get ASC to go off it slows me down a bit, but that's what I want it to do. No stumble, yo-yo, stalls, etc Just good power every time I need it. Of course, not to brag because I have sympathy for anyone with problems, but wanted to be sure you get all perspectives.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:35 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
I traded my Cooper for a Cooper S back in May and now have 8,500+ miles on it. No stumble or hesitation. The JCW kit was installed at 7200 miles and so far still no stumble or hesitation - just lots more usable power across the entire rev band.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:53 AM
MiniJoker
Neutral
Currently I have about 900 miles on my S. Luckily, both the car and JCW arrived at the same time.

So far, no stumbles or anything like that. However, I do now wish I had driven the S without JCW for at least 500 miles, so that way, I can compare the difference between the two.

I think (maybe) the newer cars off the line have a lesser chance of the stumble. That was a major concern for me when I ordered my car. I was able to get the last of the 03s built before they kicked into 04.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a trouble free car. :???:

Old 10-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Jims5543
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I experianced the stumble when my MCS was new. I would be at a light and the engine would start studdering like it was about to stall. I pumped the gas a couple of times and it went away. This happened about 3 times in the first 3 weeks I owned the car. I was not concerned because I heard the JCW kit would fix it.

I had the JCW installed and now 4 weeks later no problems. I thought I was having a stumble at a light once but it was just me being paranoid. I have had zero problems since the kit was installed.

Old 10-25-2003, 11:20 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Thank you all for your inputs!

Jim, Mike, Tim, & Minijoker, congrats on your trouble-free JCW MCS! I hope I'm as lucky as you guys! :smile:

Mr. Bean & MGear, sorry to hear about your problematic MCS!

Old 10-26-2003, 10:35 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Mike, my MCS on order is the same color as yours, pure silver w/ black top. I'll have black bonnet strips, along with aero kit and R90 wheels. I'm so excited!!!

Very nice, great color choice! . Your car is going to look awesome. I just bought a set of one-piece 16" R90s as I love the look but don't want to pay for the more expensive 17s plus I can keep the factory tires (for now). Planning to do a silver/black checkerboard roof and silver/black bonnet and boot stripes.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:53 AM
HIpilot
1st Gear
I'm a happy driver of an '03 pure silver/black MCS with the JCW kit added at about 900 miles. I did not experience the dreaded stumble/ yo-yo problem prior to the works install and have not had the problem since. Good power range now although I do still have to watch it starting from a stop as it will bog down if I'm too quick on the clutch verses enough RPM.