JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW spoiler mishaps?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Beecher
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW spoiler mishaps?

ok, i heard of a guy who heard of a guy who knew of a guy who JCW spoiler came off. Has there been any confirmed instances of this glued on spoiler actually coming off someones car? I autox and plan on starting to track alot next year, and am not interested in having my expensive spoiler come flying off my car. I just a thread from last year about how to bolt it on, but i dont want the exposed bolts, but probably nothing i can do about that, (although i have a plan, maybe). I might be roadtripping down to morristown mini tomorrow to pick up my spoiler and cf dash (im bored and hove nothing else to do, so why not, its only an 8 hour drive each way, too bad i cant take my mini to get it tho). Should i worry? Does anyone know if the supports are solid or not? I thought of drilling and tapping them, and epoxying some studs in so they are hidden, or if it is hollow, putting studs in and filling the void with epoxy. I figure either way should help, along with the oe glueing method. Figure it should be real solid by then, and better yet, invisable, im probably wasting my time here, probalby way overkill, but if i can do it invisably, i will do it anyway, just for the piece of mind. Thanks alot Beecher

Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
SB had his come off once. But IIRC they re-glued it and it's been good to go since

Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
As long as the prep work is done properly you should never have a problem. That epoxy is some serious S***t.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, and beingin CA pay special attention to the expoxy instructions regarding temps and install

Old 12-06-2007, 05:13 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a jcw spoiler. i installed myself following the pretty simple and complete instructions. i'm sure that i applied less epoxy than most people would. i had very little squeeze-out. i didn't want a clean up nightmare. i've had my car on the track 7 or 8 times (weekends) since, at speeds up to 130 mph. no problems......it is more difficult to remove the stock spoiler w/out damaging paint......use lots of mineral spirits to release the adhesive.....i have the epoxy gun available if you need it....i got it from someone else....pay it forward.....pm if you have further questions.....
greg

Old 12-06-2007, 05:55 PM
SB
6th Gear
Mine came off. Well, I pulled it before it came off. It was not the ideal situation for installation to begin with.

A friend and I installed it at a mod party and that was the first problem. It was 70 miles up the interstate and the cure time was less than 4 hours. We taped it up very well but it was not a good idea in the first place. The second problem was noticed when I removed the spoiler. Not enough adhesive was applied as the adhesive in areas was rough where it didn't make contact with the body. So the fault lied with the install. Not the components.

Luckily the following week I was headed south and when washing the car I noticed it was loose. Not very loose to the point that it would guarantee releasing on the trip. But I took no chances and slowly pulled it off the car.

Since then I have had the original spoiler holes filled and reapplied the spoiler. This time getting some recommended adhesion promoter from the local paint supply store and adhesive from BMW. My brother and I applied it one day, let it sit until the next day and it has given me no problems since.

BTW, this is using the adhesive the techs recommend and have been told they use. It's not the JCW adhesive kit but BMW adhesive kit. It'll stick good when put on right but not being in an epoxy gun it makes for a tougher install as the tube likes to break since the adhesive is rather thick.

If you're wondering. This is what it looks like without using the JCW hole fillers.

Last edited by SB; 12-06-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
that looks hot, didnt think the lack of filler plugs would have made that much of a differnce, but it does. I also dont think i will be installing it until spring due to the weather, that was a decision i made a bit earleir today. It will be spring before i can paint the rest of my aerokit anyway, so no big deal. Bean, might just take you up on that gun, but since im going to wait, if someone else needs it first, thats fine. Thanks tho, i appreciate it. Although plans have changed, and now it looks like i might not be going to morristown afterall, but i will still be getting it early next week. Just put my JCW CF boot handle on tonight, and man is it nice. PITA to get the old one off tho, the screws are easy enough, but the 2 inches of slack in the wire is no where near long enough, and you need a Zero size robertson screwdriver to push the detent down to get the wire apart, its kind of a three hand job, with only enough room for one! And i even took the inner hatch off and was working in the spaciouse inside. Next up is removing the wiper, and removing the old spoiler. Thanks for the help guys, I will probably just glue it then. The JCW glue and BMW glue are no doubt the same thing anyway, haha thanks again......... Beecher

Old 12-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
The JCW spoilers are only GLUED on??!! Wow. I know that stuff will hold but I honestly don't think I could deal with knowing that my spoiler was just glued on!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Calaway16
The JCW spoilers are only GLUED on??!! Wow. I know that stuff will hold but I honestly don't think I could deal with knowing that my spoiler was just glued on!
And only 4 bolts hold the rear subframe on.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
hahaha. The front only have 4 or maybe 6. haha. ////////// Yeah, in a way it makes me nervous that its only glue, but on the other hand, most aircraft are only glued together now a days, and when the crash the glued seems are stuck together, and the metal around the glue has tore. There is some good stuff out there, i just dont know how the bmw glue rates. I will ahve to wait, but i have a feeling it will just be glued on when i get around to it. And unfortunatly, as i am clearly posting this today, i didnt make my way to morristown. booo. ......... Beecher

Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Glue has, indeed, come a long way since the days of melted animal hooves.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:13 AM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Calaway16
My JCW wing hasn't budged at all, even with some very spirited driving (track, of course ). You would be surprised at how many auto body parts are glued on instead of bolted.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:44 AM
bean
5th Gear
i have a buddy who just did two days on the track at Daytona. his recently installed (glued on) wing did fine at speeds of 140 mph. this includes a bonus session w/ randy probst driving his car.....don't worry.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:48 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
All the more reason to have the dealership install a part like this...if it ever comes loose it's their problem to fix, not mine.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
noles825
Banned
Originally Posted by bean
i have a buddy who just did two days on the track at Daytona. his recently installed (glued on) wing did fine at speeds of 140 mph. this includes a bonus session w/ randy probst driving his car.....don't worry.
Scooter? That car has convinced me to buy this wing...

It looks great on there

Old 12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
bean
5th Gear
yes, mct had scooter on the bank of daytona. sounds like a great time was had by all....i agree that scooter is looking good.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 AM
SYZ MTRS
1st Gear
Hey,

SB's post is the best one I have seen on this subject - removing the old wing...

So do I simply drench the old wing with Mineral Spirits? I removed the bolts and tried to get it to move and nothing! I am absolutely worried about prying it up and damaging the old wing or the paint.

I started pulling dental floss through the gap area before I gave up and came inside to read some posts.

Also, does anyone still have the glue gun? The kit Outmotoring sent me did not have the gun or the template with it. I have contacted them, but it is the weekend and hope they will do the right thing.

Look forward to hearing back from everyone!

Thanks,

Mark

Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 AM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
I have not had any problems, and I've reached the upper echelons of the speedometer.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
QXXOTIC
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i also installed my JCW wing myself using the new replacement adhesive that Mini substituted for the 2-part one.

The template made alignment REALLY easy since I did this solo without an assistant.. But another pair of hands (and latex gloves) WOULD help since the adhesive is about like sticking with tar!

I also did it without using the JCW hole fillers. I had a very good local shop do the finish and repaint on the hatch deck for a very clean look that has received many comments.

Just take your time and you will be well rewarded. I have had my car to 125 and it's stable as a rock! I have found that the rear seems to pick up a little less road dust than before so maybe that's a side benefit.

Jim

Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SB
If you're wondering. This is what it looks like without using the JCW hole fillers.
I'm still wondering. Where are the holes? Your car is without holes? I know you did not install the caps but I still can not see the holes.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
im sure this thread is starting to age but i figured id put my 2 cents in here.
I had my JCW CF spoiler installed about 5k miles ago without any issues. the spoiler has a wicked whistle above 50 mph but i find it cool. some people who ride in my car find it annoying but they dont understand
I had my old spoiler removed and the roof holes welded and roof repainted, i then had the spoiler painted to match my body color ( pure silver ). it was installed using the "glue method" and i gotta say...its definately not going anywhere.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
TRuTH
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jhud
I had my JCW CF spoiler installed about 5k miles ago without any issues. the spoiler has a wicked whistle above 50 mph but i find it cool. some people who ride in my car find it annoying but they dont understand
I had my old spoiler removed and the roof holes welded and roof repainted, i then had the spoiler painted to match my body color ( pure silver ). it was installed using the "glue method" and i gotta say...its definately not going anywhere.
That looks sick. I love my Pure Silver with matching roof and have been looking at this wing for a while now, I think it is a go after seeing this pic

Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A wicked Whistle?? I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. So is this something I should worry about? I need a glue gun(loaner?) and the glue , or should I just go to a good body shop?

Originally Posted by Jhud

Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMM
A wicked Whistle?? I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. So is this something I should worry about? I need a glue gun(loaner?) and the glue , or should I just go to a good body shop?
No whistle !!!! Had the wing installed for a few days and the noise is no worse than the OEMer.