Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Honeycomb supercharger scoop insert - SUCCESS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honeycomb supercharger scoop insert - SUCCESS!

MAN I love when a plan comes together!

I've been a fan of the "gutter guard" supercharger grille ever since Kenchan made his last summer (I gladly purchased one and have been using it ever since). Even then, though, I was keeping an eye out for an alternate solution that would allow me to make the grille out of some other, more interestingly-shaped material.

I tried getting quotes on perforated aluminum and steel, but the prohibitively high cost and large size of the billet stock (a minimimum-sized peice would cost in the neighboorhood of $150+ and make several dozen inserts - not worth it unless I planned to become a NAM merchant) discouraged me for months. Then I ran across honeycomb-shaped plastic grille peices. These grilles, which come stock on some light duty trucks is the perfect material - black, rubbery plastic. The size of the hexes is even perfect for the application. As you can see, they came out quite nicely, I think:

I have enough material left over to make several more inserts, even after making a spare for myself, so if anyone's interested in getting a copy, let me know. The material fits snugly inside the supercharger scoop insert even though it's relatively thick (copmpared to the wafer-thin metal guttar guard stuff). I can't be 100% sure, but I would think that this could be painted with little trouble, or simply used as-is to match the existing OEM or areo grilles.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not worried about disrupting air flow?

looks cool though.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like it! What holds it in place?

Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Nothing - the inside of the scoop has an indentation that holds the material in place - no fasteners are required. As for air flow, if anything I'd say it lets more air in than the Gutter Guard solution...

Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I can see that it will keep out anything bigger than a squirrel, but waddabout da bugz?
J/K Matt, looks great! How about a ballpark on what you might want for one?

Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yeah, this certainly won't keep out bugs or cigarette butts as well as the Gutter Guard solution would, but then again I see no reason why you couldn't put this ON TOP OF a Gutter Guard peice if you already have one - I bet they'd both fit. In fact, I might just try that in the morning... I think that would be the best combination of style and functionality...

Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nicely done Matt.

I've sent you a PM.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:43 PM
slvrmni03
2nd Gear
That looks really good! How big a sheet of it were you able to get? Would it be big enough to do a lower grille?

Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I dunno about a whole lower... what are the dimensions of the peice you need? I can tell you that it was a pair of inserts from a 2003-2005 Dodge RAM that I used... Honestly, I doubt that they'd be wide enough to cover the area you need, but I'll measure them for you. Theylook like this:

Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Good job man, looks sweet!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Do you have a picture from farther back? Curious how well it shows from a distance. It appears however to go well with the black taped-grill.

Shame you're not coming to AMVIV...would have had you bring one out for me!

Old 03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Trip024
4th Gear
Love it!! sent you a pm

Old 03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
slvrmni03
2nd Gear
I guess that wouldn't work too good for the lower grille opening as it is not continuous. However, it would work great for the rear grille openings if you were to cut out the stock factory plastics. Mmmmm...low drag with stock-ish looks.....

Old 03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Grillz! The fifth one is on my car. I love this stuff!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Somebody asked for a shot of the grille from "further back" - forgot I shot this one along with the others. Hope this helps.

Also, someone PMd me and reminded me that the 2007 has a honeycomb grille in the hood scoop as well. I forgot about that... Of course, on the 2007, the hood scoop is totally fake, since the turbocharger doesn't need a cold-air intake (turbos run off exhaust gasses and not a cold air intake like a supercharer). Hence, the honeycomb "grille" that's on ther 2007 is simply decorative and does not allow air to even pass through it. But hey, maybe someone will make it functional with something like this once the mods start to roll out on the 2007s and up... Hmmmm...

Old 03-10-2007, 02:48 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
OK, Matt, these are for you:

Oh, and a tip; when working with small fastners under ther bonnet, place a sheet or such over the engine bay. I didn't and much swearing followed.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:59 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yaaaay!! That looks frickin' AWESOME!

And yes, good advice I forgot to mention - put a towel across the engine ANY time you're working in there - parts that fall into the engine tend to not fall out the bottom because of the lower shroud. I always do that when I have the bonnet open and a screwdriver or wrench in my hand and it's saved me much heartbreak.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do drop something down there in the bowels of the powerplant, just turn the car over & shake vigorously.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:27 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
If you do drop something down there in the bowels of the powerplant, just turn the car over & shake vigorously.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:33 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Looks cool, but both cars imaged here have slat grilles...wadup? Wouldn't the hex scoop grille look better if you had hex-grilles on the radiator? Looks incongruent to me...BtjMHO.
Of course, I prefer a really really big scoop that shows where the air is going...

Old 03-10-2007, 07:03 PM
mistro
6th Gear
How would it work on a grille that had the OEM under grille assembly removed for an Alta Diverter?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:05 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Mistro, if I understand your question correctly (not a given), the inner scoop/diverter is what holds this piece in place. I suppose one could glue it in place instead?
Dr. Phil, patience. I'm modding as fast as I can! Love your Really Big Scoop!

Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I bought the plastic gutter guard from Home Depot. My MCS has the Alta Air Diverter, and that hole in the scoop always bothered me. I took the old plastic frame and cut it so I just had the piece that butts up against the opening, still using the original screws to keep it in place. Then, I cut the plastic to fit and secured it with black zip ties. It works fine, and if I ever need to replace it, it's an easy fix. Besides, I have almost a full roll left.

I really like IMAGO's, though, as it looks to be sturdier, but at the time, this was the best fix I could think of.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
irieman
5th Gear
I got my honeycomb screen in the mail from ImagoX a few days ago. Didn't have time to put it in until today. See attached. (I choose to leave the screen in from my own earlier screen mod- you know- to keep the bees out).

Thanks ImagoX!!

Attached Thumbnails Honeycomb supercharger scoop insert - SUCCESS!-img_4139.jpg   Honeycomb supercharger scoop insert - SUCCESS!-img_4145.jpg  
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Looks great Irieman!! I almost did the "two grilles" thing as well (I found huge grasshoppers and such on my Gutter Guardone last summer). Interesting effect! I might just do that myself when the bugs come out...

And good news everyone - I located ANOTHER peice of grille material! I was inspired by that green-painted grille and wanted to see mine in silver. As you can see, I think it turned out pretty well.

I dunno... It really stands out better than the black, but I think if I hadn't blacked out my grille that it would have matched better. Oh well - it was fun to do anyway.

Once again, I'm selling off the spares, so if you missed out on this the last time and are still wanting one, PM me, or see THIS THREAD in Marketplace for more details. Just like before, I'm asking $20 for the grille and the price includes USPS Priority shipping.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Honeycomb supercharger scoop insert - SUCCESS!