Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any aftermarket companies NOT ON CRACK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:56 AM
robino
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any aftermarket companies NOT ON CRACK?

i need to know if there's any aftermarket company that's gonna make us a GP type rear spoiler that's not gonna cost $3000 LOL

like we're gonna pay $3000 for three pieces of thin painted steel...
whatever they're smoking, i want some.

or do i have to steal one and make my own...

Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The GP wing requires a new rear boot door.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:20 AM
robino
4th Gear
i understand that, surely, one can be made to fit the standard S hatch design by someone and i've seen one done, but the cost is a whopping, crack smoking $3000 for it.

my question was addressed to the aftermarket community who wants to HELP Mini owners by not raping them without vaseline.

a modest profit can be made, $3000 or even $1000 is 'a bit' excessive for three pieces of bent steel...would you not agree?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
I totaly agree! I almost had the JCW wing but it's price too was just a little hard to swallow

Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
anathema
3rd Gear
JCW wing is carbon fiber, GP wing is carbon fiber.

Not thin steel.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:08 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by anathema
JCW wing is carbon fiber, GP wing is carbon fiber.

Not thin steel.
Right, that is unless someone wants some thin steel covered in CF for a rear spoiler

Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The GP wing would be hard to reproduce. The hatch glass also would have to be cut in order to fit the wing. Just cheaper to go with a JCW wing or the M7 Wing.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
robino
4th Gear
today i eyeballed the GP at the local mini dealer...
it can easily be made without cutting any glass.
it cam be made thinner and there's enough space to fit in the gap, carbon fiber strip worth $3000? not. You can buy a Whole carbon fiber fender for a car, real carbon fiber, not fiberglass carbon fiber, for under a grand, good quality too, 5 6 times the amount and much harder to make than a strip of carbon fiber for a third of the price...

the price they sell at is highway robbery, i see that there's enough here who support the cost, they must be those selling it.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
throwing this out there: Perhaps the GP design is patented and aftermarketers must pay a hefty licensing fee?

Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM
euro_tuned
1st Gear
Manufacturing process

Robino no offence but you obviously have no understanding about manufacturing and marketing. Don't be fooled by fenders made outside the US, sure they cost under 1000 or even 500 bucks but they are part carbon fibre part fibreglass. Those that make them get paid less than $2 and hour. If you think it is so easy to produce than you should make one and I would love to buy it from you for about 500 bucks . With that said the GP wing's price is not just due to materials or labour but it comes down to numbers. Not too many of them out there. Someone can make something similar but nowhere near the quality you get from BMW.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:43 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
The GP wing would be rather easy to make.

The only CF parts seem to be the wing itself, the uprights looked either plastic or fiberglass to me.

My glass guy carries the window, and THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN THE HATCH ITSELF!!!!!

If I could get decent measurments from a GP, I could easily make an aluminum or even a fiberlass replica.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 PM
robino
4th Gear
Robino no offence but you obviously have no understanding about manufacturing and marketing. Don't be fooled by fenders made outside the US, sure they cost under 1000 or even 500 bucks but they are part carbon fibre part fibreglass.
read my post, i said that there are carbon fiber fenders made entirely of carbon fiber, NOT part fiberglass, costing under $1000 and fenders require a LOT more fitting and finishing to get them right, many holes drilled properly, etc. We're talking 3 or 4 times the work required from that of a simple rear wing design.

Take a look at the GP wing and you'll see two aluminum brackets that ANYONE with a machine shop can duplicate, powdercoat them black and connect them with a piece of carbon fiber if you must have that, however if they offered a GP wing copy that was aluminum or even hard plastic i'd jump on it, i don't need a carbon fiber wing that i have to worry about finding when i return from wherever i parked the car, carbon fiber is overrated as it is, i can do without exotic materials on a daily driven street car.

I actually know quite a bit about marketing and manufacturing and since noone has stepped up yet with an affordable alternative, i might very well have my own custom 'GP' style wing made by my machine shop friend. We've made a lot more complex stuff than this like solid control arm bushings, big throttle bodies, among other parts, a three piece rear wing is a piece of cake compared to those things.

Might even market it, seems there's enough rich folk foolish enough to pay those prices...might as well get in on the action.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hahah what are YOU smoking....there is already(almost 2 years now) a wing out that resembles the GP wing and doesnt cost 3k

It's not exactly the same...but pretty close

Old 01-05-2007, 09:05 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The M7 CF M-Wing will be re-introduced in less the 4 weeks.

Pure CF no glass... and it utilises the stock mounting holes to attach the wing to the rear hatch. For the road racer that needs adjustabillity, we got it to.

Price: $399.00

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 01-05-2007, 09:28 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if the factory GP spoiler is 3k.... did you ever think that maybe... just maybe MINI doesn't actually want to sell it so that way people can make a bunch of GP wannabes? It kind of ruins the luster of there limited edition car. BUT... if they were to get a sucker to pay 3,000 dollars for it... they would sell it...

Old 01-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by isellem
if the factory GP spoiler is 3k.... did you ever think that maybe... just maybe MINI doesn't actually want to sell it so that way people can make a bunch of GP wannabes? It kind of ruins the luster of there limited edition car. BUT... if they were to get a sucker to pay 3,000 dollars for it... they would sell it...
they have already developed replica GP parts for the R56 It's bound to happen

Old 01-05-2007, 09:39 PM
robino
4th Gear
cmon man, it's a fricking mini for christ sakes...not an sc cobra

i definitelly see your point though, i bet you most of those people who bought the GP did so because of that wing among other things...

but for an aftermarket company to come out with a copy...like that one company did, i foget their name, and price it at $3000...that's a joke.
I'd be surprised if they sold more than one or two, even with all the suckers out there.

and that wing on the pepper white looks nothing like the GP wing, not my cup of tea to be honest, real rice a roni looking if you ask me.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM
robino
4th Gear
Originally Posted by M7

Pure CF no glass... and it utilises the stock mounting holes to attach the wing to the rear hatch. For the road racer that needs adjustabillity, we got it to.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
show us pics!
they look anything like the GP wing?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by robino
show us pics!
they look anything like the GP wing?
**NOTICE THESE ARE THE PICS OF WHAT IT USED TO LOOK LIKE**

I dont know if they changed the design or not....these are what it looked like way back when it first came out. Not necessarily GP-like, but another option

Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by M7

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
This is good news! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by robino

but for an aftermarket company to come out with a copy...like that one company did, i foget their name, and price it at $3000...that's a joke.
I'd be surprised if they sold more than one or two, even with all the suckers out there.
What company are you talking about that makes a GP replica and charges $3k? I have a feeling that you are strongly confused. Are you thinking Fireballed racing who posted a pic of it installed on an all black car in the first thread about this that you posted? They aren't selling their own copy....they arent even selling the spoiler at all. That is an OEM GP spoiler attached to a non-GP car. They were simply letting you know how much it costs from the MINI parts distributor.

I would do a few more searches and research before making further posts.

I found another pic of a spoiler that is VERY close to the GP. It's even adjustable:

Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI

I found another pic of a spoiler that is VERY close to the GP. It's even adjustable:
And how much is that gem? I still like the idea of a cooper lip.

Edit : I looked at essentialmini and they appear to have many M7 products. I hope that may be a preview of what's to come.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by S Curvz
And how much is that gem? I still like the idea of a cooper lip.

Edit : I looked at essentialmini and they appear to have many M7 products. I hope that may be a preview of what's to come.
that one is pretty expensive from what i can tell....http://essentialmini.co.uk/RRCFspoi.htm

And that is most likely not what M7 has in store....notice that peter said they got the mounts to use stock locations. I'm gonna guess it mounts much like the pics i posted above but at the stock mounting points.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:12 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
^ I didnt pay much attention to the stock mounting location, opps.

This also looks nice, but once again, not cheap.

I could have answered my own questions before, but I missed the whole "page 1" deal.