Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior My MINI's in an Magazine AD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MINI's in an Magazine AD!!!

A little bird sent this to me the other day - It's a 'Cooper Flags' ad that ran in the last copy of MC2.... My car (er, uh, the roof to my car anyway) is the one at top center.

Seems they changed the color of my car to purple(!?) from BRG, and put a picture of my roof on a 'cooper' - and not on an 'S' - as is my car.

Anyway - kinda of a nice surprise - Guess they liked the roof design

Anyone know the other cars?

- - m

Attached Thumbnails My MINI's in an Magazine AD!!!-mini_ad.jpg  
Old 01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe someone else has that roof?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Capn_Panic
2nd Gear
Yeah, there are at least like a half-dozen Minis here that have that same roof.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:08 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Capn_Panic

The top center roof graphic with the 'Battle of Britain' images and Winston Churchill in it?

Uh, no - I don't think so. It's a custom design, and I designed it (in Photoshop). Cooper Flags just output for me. The only way anyone else has my roof graphic is if cooper flags output another copy and sold it to them. Besides, my name (and the car's name) are in the actual design, so who would want that?

Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
That is a feckin' brilliant graphic. And the irony...

Old 01-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by faster,Tobias!
And the irony...

Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe Cooperflags just photoshopped your roof design onto a picture of another car because it is so cool and they didn't have a picture of your car for the ad.

I'm sure that a graphics company like Cooper Flags knows enough about copyright and intellectual property issues that they wouldn't be someone else's artwork without the permission the original creator of the design . . .

Old 01-26-2006, 03:24 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Since you say you didn't know of it I'm guessing you didn't get paid? You should get paid.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:56 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn_Panic

You may have his confused with this one?

mburchill36 - I think your design is bit*hin'.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:45 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Maybe Cooperflags just photoshopped your roof design onto a picture of another car because it is so cool and they didn't have a picture of your car for the ad.

I'm sure that a graphics company like Cooper Flags knows enough about copyright and intellectual property issues that they wouldn't be someone else's artwork without the permission the original creator of the design . . .

Yucca - I'm sure that's what they did. They didn't have a picture of the car with the fnished install, because I didn't send them one. ...One would hope that a reputable business like Cooper Flags would know about intellectual property laws and issues, but you'd be surprised. When I first heard about the ad, I was concerned that they were using my design work to basically market their in-house design capabilities. But now that I've seen the ad I don't think that was their intent. Their ad markets their ability to output your graphic that's provided to them - and that's what I did. So I have no problem with the ad.

fj0 - As far as getting paid is concerned, I don't think they need to pay me to show work that they've simply output. I'm flattered that they liked my work enough to feature it in their ad. However, it would have been nice (and frankly, the professional thing to do) to ask my permission to use it and get a release. But hey - at least now I have something to frame and hang in Winston's garage

Rev. Limiter - Thanks!! ...and yes, I did see that other Churchill roof on Cooper Flags website. I wanted to go one step further and make mine more of a mural with a focus on the 'Battle of Britain'. It includes images of Spitfires, searchlights and St. Paul's cathedral surrounded in smoke during 'the blitz'. Churchill is wearing his Air Marshall's uniform, so I thought that was a appropriate touch as well. I found that image of him in the Bettman Archives. Also incorporated in the roof is Churchill's famous 'never in the field of human conflict...' line from his battle of britain speech (on the passenger-side roof), as is the car's name, model and year of production (on the driver's-side roof).

Cheers mates!! - - m

Old 01-26-2006, 07:53 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Thats kinda cool... I just opened my issue of MC^2 and there you were!
(and they even left in your name and Winston's!)

even if they did it without permission, its still cool... congrats on your brilliant design

Old 01-26-2006, 07:59 AM
deemotored
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sue 'em! Just kidding! Must be cool to see your work in print!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
Thats kinda cool... I just opened my issue of MC^2 and there you were!
(and they even left in your name and Winston's!)

even if they did it without permission, its still cool... congrats on your brilliant design

Thanks, "Lil' Queenie"!!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
CasaMini
2nd Gear
I once found a picture of my 03 MCS on eBay from a company that sells some kind of chrome inserts that goes on a MINI's grill. Y'all have probably seem them. Anyway I looked at the picture on their ad and I was shocked to find that it was my car. I pulled my original photo and low and behold it was the same picture, but the difference was that they put their water mark on it as if it was their picture. So I sent them an email asking them where they got that picture and they said that the owner gave them permission to use the photo. I told them that's a lie because it was my picture. The only place I had posted that picture was on MINIUSA.com. Anyway after several emails back and forth, they told me to F.O. and took the picture down. The next day they had a new picture up of another MINI. I kinda wish they had left my picture up so I could brag of my MINI's celebrity status but I copied their ad of my car with their marking on it before they took it down.

CasaMini

Old 01-27-2006, 06:09 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CasaMini
I once found a picture of my 03 MCS on eBay from a company that sells some kind of chrome inserts that goes on a MINI's grill. Y'all have probably seem them. Anyway I looked at the picture on their ad and I was shocked to find that it was my car. I pulled my original photo and low and behold it was the same picture, but the difference was that they put their water mark on it as if it was their picture. So I sent them an email asking them where they got that picture and they said that the owner gave them permission to use the photo. I told them that's a lie because it was my picture. The only place I had posted that picture was on MINIUSA.com. Anyway after several emails back and forth, they told me to F.O. and took the picture down. The next day they had a new picture up of another MINI. I kinda wish they had left my picture up so I could brag of my MINI's celebrity status but I copied their ad of my car with their marking on it before they took it down.

CasaMini
I guess the moral to that story is "Appreciate what you have, or it might just go away"!!

- - m

Old 01-27-2006, 06:45 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CasaMini

CasaMini
Well, they're criminals for posting your picture without payment or permission, pure and simple. That's a violation of US copyright law (and eBay's policies as well). They're also obviously liars. Here's a case of a company being fined $20,000 for using a photo without permission: http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=18536

Mark

Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Sure it is flattering, but.

Did they do the job for free because they would be nice? Of course not, why should you be nice? At least let them pay a small fee, doesn't have to be huge, or email them and at ask why you weren't contacted.