Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Need Good Seat Covers for a Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:53 PM
ukpylot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Good Seat Covers for a Convertible

My new baby, an MCS convertible, is coming my way soon (in production right now!!) but I foolishly ordered it with the leatherette seats rather than cloth. Its been 114 here for the last couple of weeks and I will burn my bum on that leatherette in temps like this.

So I figure I will get some seat covers for the front seat. I have been thinking about the Wet Okole's - anyone got any experience of them to share? Or can suggest other covers that would work well and look good?

Cheers

Paul

Old 07-05-2005, 03:02 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would consider wet okoles, but now for the price they ask for them!

they are just seat covers!

look into the factory MINI cloth seat covers, ive seen them in the car and they look very nice.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:12 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Check out these!

Cool Seat--Summer seat

Cool air blown on your back and the seat.

Paul

Old 07-05-2005, 04:36 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
i would consider wet okoles, but now for the price they ask for them!

they are just seat covers!

look into the factory MINI cloth seat covers, ive seen them in the car and they look very nice.
The WOs are only around $250 for the front right now. I thought that was quite reasonable for such a high quality product. Considering getting black with grey piping for my DS/DS MCS.

Then again, leatherette's pretty much indestrubtible anyway, so it could be redundant.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:44 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
i'm not spending 250 bucks on seat covers.

you know what else i can buy for 250 bucks??

i could get my new tires for god sake!

Old 07-05-2005, 04:53 PM
C4
Banned
Warning about the use of seat covers with MINIs equipped with Advanced Airbags

The information below applies to ALL new MINIs manufactured since January 2005:

Here's some important information for all those with US spec MINIs built after 1/05 (from an internal MINIUSA bulletin):
The MINI Cooper and Cooper S production 01/05 and forward will have an OC3 mat in the passenger seat. Therefore the seat covers and sheepskin seat savers are not to be installed on the passenger seat of these models.

What is an OC mat? OC means Occupant Classification. Due to new NHTSA regulations, under certainly conditions, the passenger airbag must be suppressed. The OC mat works with pressure sensors below the passenger seat trim. Bt evaluating the weight on the front passenger seat, the system detects whether or not the seat is occupied by a child in a child-restrained system or an adult. When a child is seated in a child-restrain system or with an empty seat, the airbags are deactivated on the passenger side. When an adult is traveling in the front seat, the passenger airbags remain active.

It's worth noting that the same recommendations are given to aftermarket seats covers as well.

These new regulations are also partly responsible for the new advanced airbags which we posted about a few months ago.

Source: Motoringfile.com

Old 07-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Mini airbags are in the seats. Wet Okole tailors their seats not to interfere with the Mini's airbag deployment. For safety's sake, make sure you get custom seats for the Mini, and not generic Walmart ones. It could save your life.

I have met WO's on order with custom graphics. Because of the custom work, they say it'll take about 2-3 more weeks, but I'll post pics.

Correction: 2 of the 6 airbags are in the seats.

Last edited by Wagnbat; 07-05-2005 at 05:24 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-05-2005, 05:29 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
i'm not spending 250 bucks on seat covers.

you know what else i can buy for 250 bucks??
Four crappy seat covers?

i could get my new tires for god sake!
*shrug* It's all relative I guess. IMHO $250 will only get you *TWO* good tires anyway.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Mini airbags are in the seats. Wet Okole tailors their seats not to interfere with the Mini's airbag deployment.
I think what C4 is trying to say is that the covers can interfere with the proper judging of mass in the passenger seat. This judgment determines the timing and ferocity of the airbag charge explosion in an attempt to prevent infant decapitation and other such awful airbag misfortunes.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:40 PM
C4
Banned
Like I said, the warning apply only to MINIs equipped with advanced airbag weight sensors in the front passenger seats. it has nothing to do with the side airbags.

If your MINI was built on or after January 2005, you should heed the warning on the bulletin.

Pre-January 2005 MINIS do not have advanced airbags and therefore the use of seat covers is perfectly safe.

Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Mini airbags are in the seats. Wet Okole tailors their seats not to interfere with the Mini's airbag deployment. For safety's sake, make sure you get custom seats for the Mini, and not generic Walmart ones. It could save your life.

I have met WO's on order with custom graphics. Because of the custom work, they say it'll take about 2-3 more weeks, but I'll post pics.

Correction: 2 of the 6 airbags are in the seats.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:27 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by markbradford
*shrug* It's all relative I guess. IMHO $250 will only get you *TWO* good tires anyway.
i dont know what tires you buy, but my street tires cost 60 bucks a piece

Old 07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Four crappy seat covers?
must be nice to have unlimited funds, but until i'm out of college, i'm not buying a set of 250 dollar seat covers.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:39 PM
ukpylot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by C4
It's worth noting that the same recommendations are given to aftermarket seats covers as well.

These new regulations are also partly responsible for the new advanced airbags which we posted about a few months ago.
Interesting, thanks for the information. I hate kids, especially young ones so no chance of one being in my passenger seat so I think I won't be in trouble there. But I shall make sure that any cover I get doesn't interfere with the air bag system in the seat.

I like the Wet Okoles, have them on my Jeep. Yeah, $250 seems a lot but when you've spent $30K on a car, $250 doesn't seem like that much.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:43 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ukpylot
Yeah, $250 seems a lot but when you've spent $30K on a car, $250 doesn't seem like that much.
yeah, its a very nice, very new (for once ) car, but considering i have to make my 300 dollar payment every month on top of gas, insurance and all the other things you need in life, i dont have a whole lot of extra cash all the time. besides, i only have 5k of the 21k paid off so, its not a 21k car for me yet.

leatherette works for now, even tho i tend to stick on occasion lol

Old 07-05-2005, 08:10 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
must be nice to have unlimited funds, but until i'm out of college, i'm not buying a set of 250 dollar seat covers.
Unlimited funds? It's $250 for *good quality* ones.

What is this, the Kia forum?

Old 07-05-2005, 08:11 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
i dont know what tires you buy, but my street tires cost 60 bucks a piece
They were $70 a piece before you edited it. They must depreciate quickly.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
They were $70 a piece before you edited it. They must depreciate quickly.
i checked again at tirerack lol

62 bucks, hey, they last 15k and they cost 62 bucks a piece, i havent had any problems yet!

Old 07-05-2005, 08:22 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Unlimited funds? It's $250 for *good quality* ones.

What is this, the Kia forum?
well, when i'm working on a $300 /week paycheck, 250 bucks is alot of money.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:56 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Let's agree to disagree. There are two ways of looking at things - simple function versus inherent quality.

A Timex tells time, but it certainly is not a Breitling, IWC, Tag, Rolex, etc.

That goes for tires, seat covers, cars, shoes, etc. Pretty much any manufactured good.

I'd rather buy something that costs more up front but will provide me some ownership satisfaction rather than a cheap low-quality product and not derive any happiness from it and likely have to replace it more often anyway.

$.02

In any event, if you're on a student shoestring budget then perhaps you'll have to wait. Your seats will be fine. Leatherette wears like concrete anyway, so don't fret.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 07-05-2005, 09:07 PM
ukpylot
2nd Gear
In any event, if you're on a student shoestring budget then perhaps you'll have to wait. Your seats will be fine. Leatherette wears like concrete anyway, so don't fret.
Exactly, we all have different budgets and ideas on what is good value.

Mark - I see your MCS is DS/DS, so is mine (sadly not yet on a boat but in production), what cover style did you choose and what colour(s)? I'm thinking about the no piping with wine as the interior colour. But not sure really. Would like to have the MINI logo on the head but I am guessing they can't do that for copyright reasons.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
i was looking thru my JCW catalog tonight and i think i found a more affordable set of neoprene seat covers in two tone colors.

170 bucks for a pair of two tone covers.

they come in black/red, yellow/black, blue/black, etc.

now i might consider something like that, but they dont have anything like pockets in the back (do WO's? )

and as far as airbags in the sides go, i think if the side airbags go off, there will be enough force to rip thru a seat cover.

if you have reads some other responses to other threads, i'm not into the airbag things, i never have been, never will be. when i get a chance, the old seats will come out and be replaced with fixed back racing seats and 5 point harnesses and a roll bar (4 pt)

ive heard too many bad things about airbags to really trust them. plus the one accident i was in, it was hard enuff to set them off, and the airbags didnt go off and my head got a rough introduction to the steering wheel. i still dont trust them.....

Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Let's agree to disagree.
can't we all just get along?

Old 07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ukpylot
Exactly, we all have different budgets and ideas on what is good value.

Mark - I see your MCS is DS/DS, so is mine (sadly not yet on a boat but in production), what cover style did you choose and what colour(s)? I'm thinking about the no piping with wine as the interior colour. But not sure really. Would like to have the MINI logo on the head but I am guessing they can't do that for copyright reasons.
I'm all about the monochromatic scheme, and I'd want it to look at least a *little* different than the black and grey two tone leatherette underneath, so I think I'd go with all black with grey piping. I've always liked the look of the contrasting piping on the RS6.

I did a search on the WOs and found someone with a logo that *looked* like a Mini logo, but it might have just been the wings and lacked the "MINI" in the middle or something. Or maybe WO did a one-off under the radar as one of their "custom" options?

Old 07-05-2005, 09:37 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
i was looking thru my JCW catalog tonight and i think i found a more affordable set of neoprene seat covers in two tone colors.

170 bucks for a pair of two tone covers.

they come in black/red, yellow/black, blue/black, etc.

now i might consider something like that, but they dont have anything like pockets in the back (do WO's? )
That sounds like a good deal if the fitment is good. The WOs do not have the pockets unless you order them as an "upgrade".

Check out WET OKOLE for details.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:40 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
the WO's sure do look cool, and with alot of options.

now, when they get "carbon fiber" neoprene, we can talk lol

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Need Good Seat Covers for a Convertible