Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear MCSC Bumper Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 09:21 AM
carlh94
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear MCSC Bumper Cover

I am going to have one last shot at this, then retire gracefully!
I have already posted twice under the threads entitled "Someone backed into Big Blue' and "Just installed the rear S bumper", but I am still not sure if I am posting in the right category!
Well, here goes!
2-1/2 weeks ago, wifey walked out to our black MCSC at work and noticed some minor damage on the rear bumper cover. It appears that someone had carelessly driven into the mini, and this had resulted in a couple of dents and creases in the plastic.
Of course, wifey came home and burst into tears, hers being the ultimate love affair with "Zippy".
It appears that it had probably happened in the car park of a local deli when she had skipped out for lunch.
The following day, (now some 16 days ago), I visited both my insurers and a local high quality body shop that I have used when necessary over the last 15 years.
It appears that the bumper cover is the only item required, and so, two weeks ago, the body shop ordered this from the Mini dealer, who conveniently, is situated next door to them.
"No problem" was the reply they got. "We should have it in three or four days".
That was two weeks ago, and the stories we are being given by both the dealer, Bill Jacobs at Naperville IL, and Mini, just don't gel!
The latest is "We are having problems with the supplier in Germany, and the item is completely out of stock, so it will be at least two weeks before it is shipped, then two weeks in transit"!
This will be a total of six weeks since the order was placed, and no guarantees!
It seems crazy that such an item, valued at $266.00, is completely unavailable.
One thing that springs to mind is if the bumper cover is unavailable from the supplier, then, given the current practice of JIT Engineering in the motor manufacturing industry, the MCSC Production Line at Cowley must have also ground to a halt!
The problem is, of course, that the MCSC is fitted with Park Assist as standard, so the cover has to incorporate the four locating points for that system...Maybe not so "Standard" after all, but surely still available somewhere in the US!

CAN ANYONE HELP?
Either a dealer with the item on his shelf, (unlikely), or someone who has taken a Park Assist compatible rear bumper cover off his "S" to install the rear aero kit.

I am praying for a response this time.

Thanks in advance to all of you out there.

Carl

Old 07-01-2005, 09:30 AM
carlh94
1st Gear
Heres a couple of shots of "Zippy" pre-impact!

Attached Thumbnails Rear MCSC Bumper Cover-zippy-and-alfie-front.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call classic MINI. I'm sure they can get you one.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:40 AM
XAlfa
Banned
I would chill out a bit. Chances are excellent that the new cover will be scratched again within a few weeks, anyway. This is a material object - don't let it control your life.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
carlh94
1st Gear
Xalfa,

If it was "scratched a bit' then I would be at ease with myself and Zippy.
"Scratched a bit" doesn't begin to describe the dents and creases that are evident!
"Scratched a bit" equates to "repaint a bit". That would be easy!

Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
carlh94
1st Gear
Thanks for the lead, Twister. I called Classic Mini in Cleveland and spoke to Steve in the Parts Department.
Unfortunately he couldn't help me, and, in fact confirmed what I had already been told by Bill Jacobs Mini. However, he went the extra mile and managed to find out that there was only one MCSC rear bumper cover on back-order in the US at this time, which is obviously mine, and that a number were in transit at this time, some by Air and some by Sea, so I should see mine, which is marked "ship direct", so bypassing any warehouses, maybe as early as next week.

If nothing else, I have confirmed that Classic Mini are people to deal with....very helpful.
Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:46 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a problem, glad i could offer some assistance. Since you have some free time on your hands check out GoMotoring.com

Old 07-11-2005, 01:55 PM
carlh94
1st Gear
Well, The rear bumper cover came in last Tuesday, July 5th, and Zippy went in for the necessary TLC today.

It appears that there were no rear bumper covers for the MCSC available anywhere here in the US, and they were out of stock in Germany.
After much to'ing and fro'ing with Mini USA I was told that one was on back order (mine) and a quantity were being flown in, now that supplies were re-established.
I thought occured to me that the rear of a Black Mini may not be so visible through a dirty rear window, and so I am having the body shop install white stripes down the boot to match those on the bonnet.
He managed to get the stripes, (with black pinstripe), and a new C-O-O-P-E-R badge with no problem, and will remove the badge, install the stripes, and reinstall the badge over the stripes when complete.
I'll try and post pictures when I get Zippy home.