Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Official MINI Center Armrest Retrofit Now Available!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:04 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official MINI Center Armrest Retrofit Kit Now Available!

Here's the latest from MINI aftersales on the center armrest retrofit:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/06/...mrest_retrofit

Old 06-21-2005, 11:03 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
It's not really clear from the post whether the retrofit kit is required for a brand new build or not. My MCS will be delivered next month, and the way I read it, I do *not* need the extra kit. Is that correct?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:51 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
No you don't need this. That is unless you want the armrest and didn't order it from the factory.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:24 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but yes, of course I don't have the armrest and DO want to add it.

So, do I need the damn extra kit or not?

You'd think if everyone needed the extra kit they'd just include it with the armrest and upcharge.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Mark,

If your new MINI didn't come with a factory installed armrest, and you want to add one, then you won't need the special adapter plate that's included in the retrofit kit (as you ONLY need it if you have a MINI built PRIOR to 07/04 - i.e. your car already has it). However, you will indeed need the new e-brake cover for your car as the one you currently have is not made for the armrest. Thus, you will need to order both parts for your MINI.

I hope this helps some...

Old 06-21-2005, 04:04 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by markbradford
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but yes, of course I don't have the armrest and DO want to add it.

So, do I need the damn extra kit or not?

You'd think if everyone needed the extra kit they'd just include it with the armrest and upcharge.
Nope, not sarcasm just the answer to your question as posted... There is the armrest retrofit kit as described which includes the adapter plate for pre 7-04 builds. Then there is seperate e-brake cover which is also required for all models but not part of the package.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:10 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm not sure if that's correct. We just got one in today and it appears to have an entirely new center console design that is specific to the Armrest. As the armrest connects through the rear of the center part it has a void where it plugs in. There is also a substantial plastic frame that gets mounted under the console, so I tend to think this is all part of the Armrest kit and is NOT included in any new production car. Of course, we could be wrong, that's just what I think based on what I have in my hands.

I will have complete part kit photos on the Out Motoring site in a day or so. It's totally insane, I'm shocked at how many parts are included in the kit...I would say it's worth every penny.

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Doctor Wha
2nd Gear
I'll probably swing into the dealer sometime next week to see if there's a new car on the floor with this installed from the factory. Given the debate that is taking place in the comments section under the MotoringFile article (much of it subjective, of course) on its sutrdiness, I'm interested to see it myself before taking the plunge.

I don't know quite what some folks expect from an armrest, really. I mean, it's just a place to rest one's idle elbow, after all, and possibly stash a couple of small items. I've never known any armrest that had any sort of miraculous structural engineering involved.

But we'll see!

Old 06-24-2005, 08:18 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disatisfied

I have the oem armrest in my '05mcs March 05 build and I am unhappy with it.

It is not sturdy, is too low and too short. My sleeve length is 33...pretty average. My hand only reaches 5 o'clock on the steering wheel. It's just plain uncomfortable.

It's a good idea for anyone contemplating to try one out in the showroom first.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:28 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
your not supposed to be able to reach the steering wheel with your arm on the rest. thats why you have a left arm. rest it on the window sill and hold the wheel with your left hand, shift with the right, then take a break b/w shifting on the arm rest.

doesnt sound too complictaed to me

Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
I just purchased and installed the armrest this evening. It's a pain in the butt! It's actually pretty easy in hindsight, but there is a lot of work that goes into it. You have to remove the center console cover, the hard black plastic support underneath that, and the metal doohickey that supports the DSC module underneath that (which I was very suprised to find hiding underneath the center console!). This is all replaced with items in the armrest retrofit kit.

I also have the official MINI instructions to replace the armrest, although they're not too helpful since they reference other instructions that I don't have. I'll try and have the instructions uploaded tonight.

-Paul!

Edit: Here's a copy of the instructions: http://members.***.net/psbales/armrest.pdf

Sorry it's out of order, and not great quality. My scanner is old, it's late, and I'm tired!

Old 06-25-2005, 06:02 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
I just confirmed that all MINI's that were built after 0704 will have the subplate UNDER the center console. Regardless of that all will need to get the additional center console cover which is either Sedan or Convert specific. If your car is one of the newer ones it will automatically have the subplate in there but MINI includes them as part of the kit for "free" regardless. So, you may have one very large extra part in your kit or you will need to install it under the center console.

best,

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 06-25-2005, 09:02 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I just installed the old-style (i.e. the first) "official" OEM MINI armrest in my own MINI yesterday (I actually have one in both of our MINIs now). I'm much happier with it than the new-style version. It's a breeze to install, it's super sturdy (since it has a metal frame that simply bolts underneath the front seats), has a much bigger storage compartment, extends down further towards the gear shift, etc.

I think that I like the looks of the new-style armrest a bit better (especially from the back seat), but for me, the old-style one is a better fit for what I want it for. Also, since it was withdrawn from the US market, it's going to be much more rare to see it in a MINI as well. Here's a review article on Motoringfile that talks about the old-style armrest if you're interested:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/10/...mrest_reviewed

If you prefer the old-style version, then keep and eye on eBay as there's a bloke from a German MINI dealer who sells them there quite frequently. That's where I got my most recent one from.

Old 06-25-2005, 11:10 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your not supposed to be able to reach the steering wheel with your arm on the rest.

Red&White:

I didn't know there was a way I was 'supposed' to use my arm rest.

Seriously, your driving method is fine if that's the way YOU prefer to drive. The new armrest does not accomodate mine.

I see by your profile, you don't have one. Is that correct? If not, I apologize.

hs