Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior 05' Euro Spec Tailights????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' Euro Spec Tailights????

Does anybody have a good picture of these? I really dislike that MINI decided to make the US Spec all red. I had the amber for the blinker on my 04' and i was going to change it to the white dot with amber bulbs but i'm getting an 05' now.

I honestly think that red blinkers are a safety hazard, especially in the US where alot of people can't drive. People just associate blinkers with amber not red!

Anybody know where to find pics of the 05' Euro tails with the amber turn signal. Also does anybody know if any companies are working on making the amber part of the tailight white?

Finally where would be the best place to order these? How much would the Euro tails cost?

Thanx!

Here are the only shots i've been able to find:

Old 04-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Ok, now a little more searching (outside of this forum ) Got me this

And this

Now the question is where to get the second ones with the clear turn signal dot!?

Ohh and no, i do not want the full clear tails. No, offence but i find them highly tacky, thanx

Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Zociac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am confused. The clear dot on the 05 tail light is the backup light. The turn signal is amber and brake light is red.

I will sell my 05 tail lights since I swap with the tacky clear ones. Please PM me if you are interested.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Zociac
I am confused. The clear dot on the 05 tail light is the backup light. The turn signal is amber and brake light is red.

I will sell my 05 tail lights since I swap with the tacky clear ones. Please PM me if you are interested.
The US spec 05' taillight has no amber in it. Its all red with one small white dot for reverse. The euro spec has amber for the turn signal, red for brake and the same white dot for reverse. The last picture above has a white dot for turn signal, red for brake and the same white dot for reverse. The last one is the one i want.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:58 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That last one was very hard for people to find (people over on MINI2.com have been looking for the part number for sometime now) If you check out www.newministuff.com he has them for order there. He is in the UK...but you would be one of the first few in the US to get the one with the clear dot.

Its an official OEM part, but MINI wasnt giving out the part number saying it didnt exist in their catalog. Mikey, the owner of that shop was able to eventually get the number and is now trying to distribute them. I would email him to get more info before ordering to make sure he has it all squared away and is willing to ship to the US Hope that helps :smile:

Old 04-14-2005, 10:25 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
RallyMINI is correct. I worked with mikeythemini (MINI2 screenname) in the UK and a man named Fab (short for fabrizio or how ever you spell it) in Italy and it turns out the taillights with the clear turn indicator are a Euro part that just started coming out on Euro cars that were a Jan. '05 or later prod. date. The others with the amber turn indicator are the standard (Pre Jan. '05) taillights. It took us a while and alot of back and forth with MINI and they finally gave up the part # and mikeythemini who i owns www.newministuff.com listed them on his site along with the standard amber euro lights. So basically he gets them from the dealer and sells them to US guys that cant get them. I believe they are about 68 GBP and the exchange rate is like 1.8 to 1.9 from US to GBP so basically double the # and thats what it would be in US dollars. Keep in mind this is for the set not individual. There are i believe 2 threads on MINI2 going about it. If you have any more questions you can ask there or ask me.

But just so you know i will be the first to have them in the States as i have already ordered them.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
haha irish....i saw you on mini2.com hence i said he would be one of the first few....i figured you would be first

Old 04-14-2005, 09:11 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Hehe yeah actually those pics above that he posted are the ones that i posted from the people i am in contact with on MINI2. The DS MINI is Fab's car. And the red one is a random shot from the MINI2 post your favorite shot thread. If not the first in the states to have it (but should be!) i will be the first HB/W MCS to have them and i dont mind Thameth having them cause he doesnt live near me so i can still maintain my originality. Does anyone think i should cover Fabrizio's plate on that pic of his DS MINI? He sent them to me in email and i wonder if its an issue.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
i doubt it...i never understood the worry of hiding your plate...hundreds of people see it when you drive around

Old 04-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
For some reason I didn't get an email notification for new posts to the MINI2 thread. Since I don't frequent there quite as often as here, I didn't realize that mikeythemini had gotten to the bottom of it. Way to stay on top of it IrishCooper!

But now that I'm considering ordering an '06 instead of an '05 I'm probably going to hold off on getting these. Does anyone think that MININA might start offering them here as standard equipment in '06? I agree with Thameth that there should be more differentiation between the brake and the turn indicator for safety reasons. I really like having the amber on my '02 with the brake light mod. I tend to think they won't do the white/clear indicator (my first choice) as standard equipment (but maybe as an accessory) - they might offer the amber ones though. I'd like to hear anyone else's opinions.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by IrishCooper
Hehe yeah actually those pics above that he posted are the ones that i posted from the people i am in contact with on MINI2. The DS MINI is Fab's car. And the red one is a random shot from the MINI2 post your favorite shot thread. If not the first in the states to have it (but should be!) i will be the first HB/W MCS to have them and i dont mind Thameth having them cause he doesnt live near me so i can still maintain my originality. Does anyone think i should cover Fabrizio's plate on that pic of his DS MINI? He sent them to me in email and i wonder if its an issue.
Wooohooo great job Irish! Did a quick conversion and 68lbs comes out to $127 right now. Have they said when the taillights will be available?? It currently says on the website that their in pre-order status. I guess i should contact them through e-mail first before putting in an order on that site? I would definitely love to have these on my 05' when it gets here. It should look great with the PW/PW. Now i just have to find either Amber LED
s that stay clear when not in use or a conventional bulb that does the time.

Just clicked through the order process on the newministuff site here are the costs:

Description Item Price Qty Total
2005 spec rear lights with white indicators (2005 spec rear lights with white indicator lenses (pair)) 68.70 1 68.70
ITEMS TOTAL £ 68.70
USA, Canada, South America HEAVY PARCEL - change 26.00 26.00
SUB TOTAL £ 94.70
VAT @ 17.5% £ 16.57
TOTAL AMOUNT £ 111.27

Quick conversion on google 111lbs=$208

Still not too bad! Damn expensive shipping and VAT charges!

Old 04-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Does anyone want to sell me the all red ones by any chance then since i helped you guys find them

Thameth....i think in the end you wont have to pay VAT....that doesnt work for the out of country people i think....thats totally just how i understood it...but maybe im wrong

Old 04-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by Thameth

SUB TOTAL £ 94.70
VAT @ 17.5% £ 16.57
TOTAL AMOUNT £ 111.27

Quick conversion on google 111lbs=$208

Still not too bad! Damn expensive shipping and VAT charges!
I'm fairly certain that we Americans don't have to pay VAT. That cuts it back to $178.78 (according to xe.com).

Old 04-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by Thameth
Now i just have to find either Amber LED
s that stay clear when not in use or a conventional bulb that does the time.
It should prove a lot easier - and probably cheaper - to find the "silver" amber bulbs (a special coating allows them to look silver when they're off, but amber when they're on). I've seen them in countless places, but don't have a link handy right now.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
the best place to get those is www.powerbulbs.com get the phillips silvervision if you want them to appear white, get the osram version if you want a bluish rainbow silvery effect . Shipping is free and fast

Both of these light up very orange, the color you want. But when they are off, they appear to either be clear/silver, or the rainbowy color.

Phillips:

Osram:

Old 04-15-2005, 10:44 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
yes i talked to mikey and US customers do not have to pay VAT. Although he did say Customs could charge you regular sales tax if they feel like it.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
yah, they may charge something other than VAT...but from what i understand, it wont be as much as VAT if they do charge you

Old 04-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by IrishCooper
yes i talked to mikey and US customers do not have to pay VAT. Although he did say Customs could charge you regular sales tax if they feel like it.
Sounds great, did he say when the tailights should be availible for shipping?

Old 04-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Mini2Go
IrishCooper, you've got a PM. :smile:

Old 07-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
IrishCooper, you've got a PM. :smile:
Bump,

Anybody finally get these?

Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Hey Thameth: I got your name wrong--confused it with Thamos. Darn. I remember you have a PW MCS and your wheels looked good on it and that you were selling them several months ago (before I even got my car). A couple weeks ago I got the bug to buy a set of wheels and I couldn't figure out how to look you up. I tried the "Show me your wheels" thread but it's so long and I don't think you're in it. Anyway I just got some black wheels for my PW MINI because it seemed a safe way to go (and the guy in the store insisted black was the only color that would go with PW). Wish I had a better memory so I could have bought your wheels. Sorry. Best wishes.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
Hey Thameth: I got your name wrong--confused it with Thamos. Darn. I remember you have a PW MCS and your wheels looked good on it and that you were selling them several months ago (before I even got my car). A couple weeks ago I got the bug to buy a set of wheels and I couldn't figure out how to look you up. I tried the "Show me your wheels" thread but it's so long and I don't think you're in it. Anyway I just got some black wheels for my PW MINI because it seemed a safe way to go (and the guy in the store insisted black was the only color that would go with PW). Wish I had a better memory so I could have bought your wheels. Sorry. Best wishes.
Awwwww! Yea i haven't had time to post a good pic of my car with my wheels on it in the post your wheels thread.

Oh well.....

Old 08-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI - based on an internal document that I saw recently, the new white turn signal lights are not DOT approved and will not be offered in the US by MINIUSA.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe
FYI - based on an internal document that I saw recently, the new white turn signal lights are not DOT approved and will not be offered in the US by MINIUSA.
Shame.... But that doesn't stop us from importing them.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 PM
CheckmateMini
1st Gear
Sorry to bring up a pretty old thread, but has anyone ever ordered the Euro tailights with white turning signal on top? Is newministuff.com still the only source to get those lights?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior 05' Euro Spec Tailights????