Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How do i disarm the seatbelt indicator chime?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:29 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updated: How do i disarm the seatbelt indicator chime?

I want to trick the system into thinking that the seatbelts are plugged in so i dont get that incredibly annoying chime every time i have the car started. I tried just disconnecting the the plugs under the seat one at a time to no avail. I think that i will have to show the computer continuity in that circuit.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-28-2005, 07:47 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How bout...wear your seatbelts?

Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
I knew that was coming... :smile: I do wear them while in motion, but if I am just in the car, parked, the noise will continue.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 AM
atn57
4th Gear
is it that bad? I think it is a great thing to alert you to put something that is suppose to save your life in a car crash..............but to each thier own........i don't think there is a way to trick or remove that chime.........

motor on

ant

Old 03-28-2005, 07:51 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
if the case is that u dont want to wear your seatbelts ever?... then u can trick it by buying the metal buckle from an extra mini cooper seatbelt and just leave that plugged into your seatbelt all the time.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:53 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
I have only had the car for a week and the noise is already bothering me, I'm surprised to find that no one else has the same problem w/ it.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:58 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by jaxkewl
if the case is that u dont want to wear your seatbelts ever?... then u can trick it by buying the metal buckle from an extra mini cooper seatbelt and just leave that plugged into your seatbelt all the time.
I know I will catch hell for this, but, do they sell a similar buckle for a wife?

Old 03-28-2005, 08:02 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
that chime is really annoying..
Usually in other cars it will stop after 10 secondss or so..
on my mini it goes on forever.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:28 AM
cooperSharon
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by liaudio
I have only had the car for a week and the noise is already bothering me, I'm surprised to find that no one else has the same problem w/ it.
It annoys the hell out of me, too. I never bothered to post anything about it because I figure someone would give me the "wear your seatbelt" comment. I'd like to be able to disable also.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
discodan
5th Gear
i've honestly never noticed a "chime." don't think mine does it. is it on all model years or post-'03 only?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:40 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I think it must me a post 03 or 04 thing. My 02 doesn't do it.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:53 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
turn the key to position 2? and it should stop after 5 or so seconds?

Old 03-28-2005, 10:13 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by biggripper
I think it must me a post 03 or 04 thing. My 02 doesn't do it.
My '03 doesn't do it, either (Sep. '02 production).

I wouldn't go messing around with any of the wiring under the seat, and if you've already done so, you might want to have your dealer check to make sure that you haven't inactivated the airbags in the seat. I guess you'd probably get the warning light on the dash if that was the case, though.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:24 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooldaddy
turn the key to position 2? and it should stop after 5 or so seconds?
right. but it starts if you go over 30mph and never stops until you click it. Very annoying.. It keeps going on until your passgener clicks too if there is one.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:44 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
see if you can reach up under the dash and yank that buzzer outta there. i did it on my corvette and my passat, but you tend to leave your headlights on once in a while hehe

Old 03-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Ol' Yankee
1st Gear
I asked my MINI dealer's parts mgr. if "extra" male belt ends are available from MINI. He said I could only buy the whole belt assembly at $62.40 + tax, and another for passenger side.

I asked if identical BMW belt parts are available. He couldn't say "no", but said it would be "unlikely".

I'm planning to trace the outline of the male connector, and shop for similar parts at local junk yards. That is if this winter ever ends.

Slogging through knee-deep mud in a junk yard, between all that sharp rusted metal isn't my idea of fun any more.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by VoiD
right. but it starts if you go over 30mph and never stops until you click it. Very annoying.. It keeps going on until your passgener clicks too if there is one.
HMMMM...the only way for the car to know/think there is a passenger in the car is if the seat belt is plugged in...and that is for airbag deployment "force." Otherwise the airbags deploy at full force.

So if it's chiming because you have no passenger that is belted in, you have a problem...because according to your statement, I'd have to plug the passenger side belt in all the time to eliminate the chime...which I don't.

In any case, it should never annoy you while driving since you are buckled up, right?

Old 03-28-2005, 01:55 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I can't believe there are still people in the world foolish enough to purposely not wear a seat belt.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
i am pro seat belt, i myslef where the Schroth harness every day. Not sure how you stay in the seat when taking a corner fast, but if you need a buckle i have one from a BMW. almost the same, you would just have to grind down the sides a bit as the mini male end is about 3/4" and the male end on a BWM is 1". i would give it to you for postage. PM me.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaelaria
I can't believe there are still people in the world foolish enough to purposely not wear a seat belt.

survival of the fittest takes it's time

If i dont have my belt buckled while im just parked...it only beeps for a few seconds and then goes off? mines a 2002

Old 03-28-2005, 02:49 PM
liaudio
2nd Gear
i did get an airbag warning light after fooling w/ the plugs under my seat. I'll address that at the dealer later on.

I DO wear my seatbelt. Just not when i'm parked and fooling around with whatever. (like the H/K stereo or better yet, my girlfriend) j/k.

I hope this doesn't turn into a 'you're a moron if you don't buckle up' thread. I was just hoping someone else had come up w/ a solution other than buying an extra buckle to stick into the receiver. That way really doesnt seem like a viable option.

I'm going to go poking around w/ my multitester once this rain clears up and see if i can trace the wiring.

I'll post my results once I've figured it out.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:03 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I hope this doesn't turn into a 'you're a moron if you don't buckle up' thread.
That didn't seem very likely until the comment was made about how the "annoying" chime comes on again if you go over 30 mph.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I DO wear my seatbelt. Just not when i'm parked and fooling around with whatever. (like the H/K stereo or better yet, my girlfriend) j/k.
I don't think we understand the root problem. Help us out with the scenario that leads to your issue. In either of the above scenarios, you only need the key in the 'acc' position (you need her motor running, not yours ) Is it that you start the car, then sit in the driveway? Drive somewhere, undo the seatbelt, then sit?

An innovative solution would be to install a set of 'dummy' receivers with the buckle inserted. I still can't think of a scenario where it's needed, but then again I haven't 'parked' in a while.

<tongue in cheek>
You're not just sitting parked and idling, wasting our precious petroleum reserves, are you?!

Old 03-28-2005, 03:38 PM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
I drove around town with a friend all day once and had no chime, except for the initial 5 seconds or so. The light stayed on but no chime. As far as the over 30 mph thing I don’t know. I have a 04 MCS.

Is that a “programmable feature” or am I thinking of the door chime. Hey is that what you may be talking about is the key-in-ignition-door-open-chime? I know that can be disabled.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
FWIW, I just checked out my '04 - exactly 10 (really annoying) 'dings' upon startup with the seatbelt unfastened. Doesn't ding again, including releasing seatbelt when above 30mph. Could this be an '05 thing?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior How do i disarm the seatbelt indicator chime?