Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How-To:rally lights controlled by rear fog toggle with MINI Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 03:03 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How-To:rally lights controlled by rear fog toggle with MINI Circuit

hey,
I just installed my custom MINI circuit (Seen here) that GBMINI made for me. It allows my unused rear fog toggle (I installed the european toggle panel a while back) to control my rally lights! I was so excited when I found out he could do it. It was super simple, no modifcation need to any parts, just unplug from stock switch and plug into MINI circuit.

Here is a short how-to:

First I followed GBMINI's instructions for installing the MINI circuit ( General Info and Install)

Then I had to figure out how to get the wire from the mini circuit to the factory switch (i am a student a Gatech, so I don't have a lot of resources but I found the perfect solution):

I used my shoe string (off the shoe I was wearing, ) as a "fisher" to pull the wire up the inside of the plastic housing around the radio, a/c, and toggle panel. I made sure the little prongs were protected from getting bent off:

This is it pulled up the inside of the housing:

This is how the stock wires attach to the stock switch:

Here are the (from top left, clockwise) stock wires, MINI circuit wires, stock switch:

This is the MINI cirucit wires hooked up to the stock wires:

Here is it all complete, no wires showing (you can see the MINI circuit throught the vents on the trim):

Here is a pic of the rear fog light (now rally light, for me ) toggle lit up (means when I turn my high beams on, rally lights come one, just like stock switch):

Here are my rally lights being activated by the MINI Circuit for the first time!:

Total install time was about 30 mins (including tying/untying my shoe laces ) and it was very easy but hooking the MINI circuit into the back of the toggle was a littly trick due to me doing it the "blind" way (just by feel, not removing the pillars and toggle panel). I have the euro pacel shelf on its way so I just simple taped the wires with scotch tape for now. I don't know is Ian (aka GBMINI) is going to do this as an option now but it cost me $49 shipped. Enjoy and HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
That's really great! I think that's the way the factory should have done it in the first place...

Rawhyde

Old 10-31-2004, 07:08 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nathan - great write-up; thanks! I loved the "shoe lace" details

Good pics too ... I will link this thread back to my write-up on GBMINI.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
But the rallys still only come on with the high-beams?

I want to be able to turn them on without having my high-beams on.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:07 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Agro
I want to be able to turn them on without having my high-beams on.
I am not sure if there is a legal requirement that links the driving lights to high-beams ... but there is a sensible "moral" decision - if your high beams are on and another car approaches, you have an easy to reach switch to cancel them and not blind the other driver. If the driving lights are linked, they automatically cancel too.

If you have them wired another way, you would have to remember to cancel two separate lights - two switches; takes more time so meanwhile the other driver is being blinded; also makes your driving temporarily less safe while you are reaching for twice as many switches.

Why do you want driving lights without high-beams anyway? Surely if you need the visibility of the driving lights, then the high-beams would be very useful too?

Old 11-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
The rallys are much less blinding than the highs and I'd like to be able to have them on as part of a regular nighttime driving practice.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:13 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
Such use of driving lamps as stated above is a disturbing and dangerous trend. Improper use of auxillary lighting poses a real threat to oncoming traffic that may be temporarily blinded by the user who "forgets" to switch the lamps off. Driving and rally lamps can blind oncoming drivers from literally hundreds of yards away!

Sure, everyone deserves to mod their car as they wish, but when the mods infringe on the safety of others, something has to give.

The only safe way to wire driving/rally lamps is directly into the bright dip switch, to be used ONLY with the bright headlamps. Fog lamps pose a similar problem, and should be used only in poor visibility weather conditions, and only with the low headlamps.

The undeniable fact is, auxillary lamps can and will cause temporary blindness if not used as intended. I know this is unpopular with some folks, but again, it's true.

Please use these lamps as intended.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
BTW, it would be interesting to hear what the folks at RSpeed, the sponsor of this forum, think about this auxillary lamp display issue.

RSpeed, any input on the proper/improper installation and use of these lamps on our MINIs??

Old 11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by vagt6
Such use of driving lamps as stated above is a disturbing and dangerous trend. Improper use of auxillary lighting poses a real threat to oncoming traffic that may be temporarily blinded by the user who "forgets" to switch the lamps off. Driving and rally lamps can blind oncoming drivers from literally hundreds of yards away!

Sure, everyone deserves to mod their car as they wish, but when the mods infringe on the safety of others, something has to give.

The only safe way to wire driving/rally lamps is directly into the bright dip switch, to be used ONLY with the bright headlamps. Fog lamps pose a similar problem, and should be used only in poor visibility weather conditions, and only with the low headlamps.

The undeniable fact is, auxillary lamps can and will cause temporary blindness if not used as intended. I know this is unpopular with some folks, but again, it's true.

Please use these lamps as intended.
Warning...do not stare into my sig...DOH! too late

Old 11-03-2004, 11:52 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Warning...do not stare into my sig...DOH! too late

Too late already, as you say

Old 11-03-2004, 11:57 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Great write-up and pics, I really think it's a great idea (and now wish I had extra toggles!). One question tho, what do you do if you are wearing velcro sneakers?

Old 11-03-2004, 01:24 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The rallys are much less blinding than the highs and I'd like to be able to have them on as part of a regular nighttime driving practice.
That's a sure-fire way to get personalized attention from your local law enforcement officials. If you're going to insist on using auxiliary lamps "as part of a regular nighttime driving practice," you should look into auxiliary low beams or fog lights rather than rally lights.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:36 PM
CGSHawkflyer
2nd Gear
... I'd like to be able to have them on as part of a regular nighttime driving practice.
Speaking solely as the "Guy in the oncomming car", Please don't act like your driving lights are not blinding . They are, and they should be turned off for oncomming traffic.

Thanks

Regards
Phil

Old 11-08-2004, 02:26 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
..........and while you're at it, turn off those effin foglights too

Old 11-08-2004, 05:47 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
Hmmm ...
Subarus and hulking great SUVs are the worst offenders here - Subarus appear to have spotlights in the foglight position, and SUV lights are just too damn high!

On the other hand, the MINI has not-too-bright front fogs, positioned extremely low down - perfect for use as fog lights, and minimally aggressive. In fact I have recently been toying with an "auto-front-fog-on" MINI circuit add-on, as requested many times.
Seems to me: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - and at least in the MINI I would not feel guilty about blinding others with front fogs ...

Old 11-08-2004, 08:31 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
I feel I should clarify my post. I do not advocate driving around with fog lights on when the weather is clear. However, if I must choose between encountering a driver with his fog lights on or one with his driving (rally) lights on, I'll choose the fog lights.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear