Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior light up trim rings

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 04:57 AM
bluesmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
light up trim rings

A local guy wanted to use my car as a test mule for some parts he wanted to make. check out the pics and let me know what you think, good or bad.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:26 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
I think most on here would cry "Ricey" but I like lights of any kind. Would be cooler if you can select the color you want. Innovation of any kind is a good thing, tell him to keep it up.:smile:

Old 09-15-2004, 06:28 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
I like 'em.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:39 AM
DizzyTT
2nd Gear
I like the lights, but I don't care too much for how they look in the light. I can't say what I would change, but they look funny to me. Maybe if they were matching the gray interior bits, I would like it more. I guess what I don't like are the slots in the pieces, and the exposed screws.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:26 AM
luckblackbird
1st Gear
I like the look at night,but not at day light...

Old 09-15-2004, 09:03 AM
bluesmini
6th Gear
i chose that color light because it matches the interior lights. my XM unit is also stashed infront of my cup holders but i had it out of the way for the install and the pics. it matches the color of that also. there are 7 or 8 different colors available but i didn't want the ricey look. when he explained it to me i went straight for the ricey button slap and baulked. after seeing in the car with the lights on and off i found it pretty pimp and decided i would keep it in there for a while.

this is the almost the only non performance thing i've done/had done to my car. i have upgraded speakers all the way around but still in the stock positions with the stock grills. other than that i've got some pedals. you can see the gas pedal in one of the pics. it aids in heal and toe down shifting with it's kick-out to make the pedal just a bit closer to the brake.

the engine just has the 15% redux and CAI. the suppension has front camber plates and lower rear adjustable control arms with just nasty negative camber. 225 45 17/s all around. springs and sway bars are nice and stiff. i think that's it. i track my car often at VIR and seem to have no problem with stock E36 M3's.

check out www.virclub.com for the next event you can get in. it's a blast. I've been to BMW, Audi and Porsche events and have always been well recieved. The BMW ones are always just a few notches better. :smile:

one more thing. i also have and in car camera mount so all my track events are saved. if anyone know where i can post big files free..... let me know.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:39 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
The exposed screws are an easy fix, just cap it w/ a machined or chrome trim ring and would probably look almost stock until night time rolled around!!! Keep us posted if / when this becomes available and where we can get it. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:51 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like an electric stove.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
make em' look good in daylight and i'd buy it

Old 09-15-2004, 12:45 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
xB

the Scion's have them that you can change...the under dash lights, too!
swanky!

I agree with capping them so they look more finished and the side light will still be effective.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:48 PM
yasodic
3rd Gear
i agree it would look awesome if the light just came from the under or just side of it while keeping a close to stock look. I loved the rieger illuminated shift *****, had one on my jetta,

http://www.riegeretc.com/catalog/pro...products_id=82

is he able to make something like that also? I am very interested, keep us up to date!! thanks

Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 PM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
that is not cool at all. talk about, you might as well sell you mini and go buy a honda and do that to it.

chris

Old 09-16-2004, 01:17 AM
tech-gi
2nd Gear
They would be good for night ralleys??
Nice color match.
Mabey some stainless steel allen screws instead of phillips.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Prw3
3rd Gear
Yuck!

Old 09-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh how funny it is to read some posts on NAM. People had a huge problem with a fully functional racing spoiler and they called it rice. Someone talked about lowering their car and putting on wider wheels and they called that rice. Any mention of carbon fiber, which lowers weight, will undoubtedly be followed by a rice comment. But when it comes to interior neons its a good idea

That being said, i say do what you like. Some people like performance, others like their car being pretty..either way works, no reason to diss other people for their choices. This product looks very innovative.

If i might add one more idea to the fray though...i remember the scions had little LED lights at the bottom of the cup holder so that when you put bottled water or anyother clear-bottled beverage, the light would be shining through the bottle lighting up the bubbles and stuff...it looked very interesting.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:23 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
good call, i see where your going with this. being my car into this. wide wheels are badass. personnally not a big fan of the lights or neons but thats me.
chris

Old 09-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope you didnt misunderstand...i was saying that i thought it was funny that they didnt like you idea(which was actually a great idea) but are all for the neon inside...

Old 09-17-2004, 06:16 AM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
i think people around here are just a little to quick to throw the term "rice" around. i'm guilty of it my self, but the bottom line is that if it makes the owner happy, who cares what everyone else thinks? it's not their car. i think the interior neons would be a great product with a few mods. as for wider wheels, go for it, it'll look great. the CF is arguably one of the greatest synthetic materials man has ever made. Ferrari, one of the most famous manufacturers in the world uses CF extensively, and i dare someone to tell the owner of an Enzo or 575M that his car is rice. i guess the bottom line is, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

thats my two cents...

Old 09-17-2004, 10:29 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
With all this poopie talk about rice I'm hungry now!!

PS. Do you think he is going to market these? When, Where, and How much.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:14 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
first of all, it's not neon. it's some other type of flexible lighting rope that comes in a few colors (7 or 8). i just wanted mine to match the other interior lights. yes this guy wants to market them, he just wanted me to put the bait out and see if there was any interest for our cars. as of now they are available for the viper, evo, stang, miata, MINI.... and he wants to do a :-( PT also but doesn't know anyone with one. the PT isn't a real track car so finding one has proved difficult for him. i'm glad to see the interest in this little trick part. i'm sure it can be made with a solid top instead of one with slots for light. i'll pass on the ideas to the maker. i think the current price is supposed to be $125. remember, it doesn't make you go faster but it does look pretty cool.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
contact info

if any one is interested please contact brain.

srpracing@carolina.rr.com

he also makes pedals too. you can see mine on mini2 same user name.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:50 AM
cdconsor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Oh how funny it is to read some posts on NAM. People had a huge problem with a fully functional racing spoiler and they called it rice. Someone talked about lowering their car and putting on wider wheels and they called that rice. Any mention of carbon fiber, which lowers weight, will undoubtedly be followed by a rice comment. But when it comes to interior neons its a good idea

That being said, i say do what you like. Some people like performance, others like their car being pretty..either way works, no reason to diss other people for their choices. This product looks very innovative.

If i might add one more idea to the fray though...i remember the scions had little LED lights at the bottom of the cup holder so that when you put bottled water or anyother clear-bottled beverage, the light would be shining through the bottle lighting up the bubbles and stuff...it looked very interesting.
well said Rally. Rice, not rice? who the heck cares, lights and switches are fun!

Chuck

Old 10-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
I like the effect, but I think the application is a bit funky. I would prefer to see the stock ring replaced with a stock-shaped ring that lights up.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:11 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
i like them, i also would like thumbnails of sum petals.