Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Need Help With Exterior Decisions (05' MCS PHM/W)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 PM
boostedhaze
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help With Exterior Decisions (05' MCS PHM/W)

I am seeking general opinions and advice on the direction to go with the exterior of my car. I have already plasti-dipped the front grill trims and hood scoop white. I have also done the side scuttles in black with the "S" in white, and the rear "S" is white as well. I put together some images to show what I have been thinking of doing, and please forgive my basic photo editing skills. Any input is greatly appreciated.

For the front end of the car you can see that I have already done some modifications:

I am considering body color headlight surrounds which I have mocked up here:

I only did the one cause you can get the idea, and its a pain to change. Another option could be black or white rings, but that may be too overpowering (Can always mock them up if that would help).

For the sides of the car you can see the side scuttles:

Primarily I am considering replacing them with the non-s scuttles, black door handles, a white gas cap, and a blacked out beltline:

Moving on to the rear of the car, the "S" in the cooper badge has been dipped white. I am aware that the passenger side light housing is messed up, and will be replacing it promptly:

I mocked up how it would look debadged:

I know there are a lot of mods and options there, so some other opinions are needed before I can make any concrete decisions. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking very nice! How about painting the grills in the back above the exhaust white? How about a set of smoked scuttle lights? That would really make the white S stand out.
You might want to check your exhaust, it looks like it is shifted to the left. Maybe a broken hanger.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:52 AM
boostedhaze
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mib4840
Looking very nice! How about painting the grills in the back above the exhaust white? How about a set of smoked scuttle lights? That would really make the white S stand out.
You might want to check your exhaust, it looks like it is shifted to the left. Maybe a broken hanger.
My only worry with painting those grilles white would be how dirty they would get. I agree that continuing some of the white accents to the rear would be good but I'm not sure the best way to do that.

As for the exhaust, I am getting a new one soon so I will check out the hangars then.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:05 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I did any of those things I'd restore your headlights and that taillight. Really cheap and easy (I've used a mothers nulens kit with great success on several cars) and it will make a big visual impact. Right now the only thing throwing me off is that you've added a bunch of white to the front of the car and it really clashes with the yellowing headlights.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 AM
boostedhaze
2nd Gear
The taillight can't be restored, someone baked it and in the process the whole lens turned whiteish. Like I said, I will have a nee assembly shortly.

The front headlights were much more yellow than they are now, I already tried with some meguiars polish. I can try the mothers product as well to get them more clear but some of the yellowing appears to be from the inside so I may have to crack them open.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:56 PM
atenzany62
2nd Gear
i'd definitely recommend painting the headlight surrounds body colored. did mine and looks great!

Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM
boostedhaze
2nd Gear
Did you buy a can of color match spray paint and use that? Or was it vinyl?

Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Any update on the project?