Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R53 with GP2 Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 AM
csgirardeau
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
R53 with GP2 Rear Diffuser

DISCLAIMER: This is a VERY simplified write up and requires lots of patience and putting on/ removing the diffuser as well as the right tools. Most people wouldn't even go as far as removing the batter box into the trunk let alone make a custom straight exhaust to make this happen since it's just under $1k for all mods including diffuser and is PERMANENT!.

So this weekend my friend helped me put on my rear diffuser that's been sitting in my room for three years! It felt amazing to finally put it on! However, this took Saturday afternoon (2:00pm-5:00pm) and Sunday morning (8:45am-12:30pm).

Modifying the bumper is REQUIRED to make it fit like OEM as well as cutting the diffuser and brackets.

Unfortunately, I didn't take too many pics, but modifying it is rather simple. You just need the right tools to get it done! Hopefully I can explain with the few pics I did take.

Tools Used:
1) Phillips Screwdriver
2) 10mm socket (wrench or power tools, whatever is available)
3) Torx key for diffuser (forgot what size)
4) Box cutter (for cutting into bumper)
5) Electric drill (for cutting into bumper)
6) Sawzall (for cutting diffuser and diffuser brackets)
7) Welder
8) Patience

Things that need to be done:

1) Create tabs that line up with diffuser
2) Trim diffuser to fit around control arms
3) Trim diffuser brackets to fit around control arms
4) Weld brackets in place

Let's get this started

Name:  photo%202_zpslag0hvgh.jpg
Views: 7486
Size:  227.7 KB

One problem is having the clips of the diffuser go into and line up where the OEM trim is. We fixed this by marking where we needed to extend the mounting slots for the diffuser. All you need is a drill and painter's tape to make this happen The pic above shows where we marked where we needed to make the new tabs. You also need to cut a small chunk of the bumper off on the outsides (the slanted blue tape in the pic) so the diffuser can slide in. There's also little tiny tabs sticking out that need to be cleared with the drill so the diffuser an sit in all the way in (easy to understand when you have it in front of you).

The harder part is cutting into the bumper with a box cutter above where the tabs are. The Diffuser tabs are much farther in and shorter than the oem trim, so cutting them between 1/4" and 1/2" should do it. For those of you doing this and have the pieces in front of you, you'll see what I mean! You just gotta take little chunks at a time so you don't overdo it and it snaps in place really nicely.

Name:  photo%203_zpsuy1ari2r.jpg
Views: 3317
Size:  279.7 KB

Fitting in the rear part of the diffuser was the BIGGEST PAIN. First of all, the lower rear control arms get in the way. You must cut pieces of the diffuser that rub up against the control arm off (not pictured). I still have stock control arms, which are pretty thick, but I'm sure aftermarket ones will require less cutting since they're slimmer. Another problem was that the brackets also hit the control arms so they had to be cut (pictured above).

Name:  DCE89F31-0BB7-4A67-80B6-49FBC32D17E4-886-000000A5E962A8AD_zpsrhtxucjg.jpg
Views: 3585
Size:  192.7 KB (NOT MY CAR/PICTURE)

One of the biggest problems was mounting the diffuser brackets onto the subframe of the car. The metal of the subframe is too weak and thin to hold screws as well as in a weird location: A hollow railing next to the exhaust brackets. Luckily my friend has a welder so he shaved some of the crap on the subframe off so he could weld it. He also made spacers that he welded onto the brackets about 1/4" thick (two 1/8" pieces welded together) that mounted between the subframe and diffuser brackets so there could be enough space between the diffuser and control arms. Also, the holes in the diffuser that line up with the brackets need to be "extended" by using a drill so there's more play to line it up nicely.

Name:  photo%204_zpsqyczfvsu.jpg
Views: 10951
Size:  235.2 KB

The result is a nice, flush, OE looking diffuser (technically it is OEM but not 1st gen ). One thing I still need to do is cut the stock trim to fit on the outside of the diffuser.

Once this is done, you're ready to put it on and motor on!

The following 2 users liked this post by csgirardeau:
iw777 (10-22-2020), lost1nva (03-26-2018)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:00 PM
MiniLife
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up! I have a M7 Full Carbon Fiber diffuser that Ive been putting off installing as well haha. I live in Los Gatos, we should meet up sometime Id love to check out the GP2 diffuser in person to get a better idea of what has to be done to fit it