Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior SharkFin Antenna... Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. I've gotten PM's from a number of you asking about the "shark-fin" antenna on Molly - so I thought I'd put everything I know (not much unfortunately) into one post for everyone.

It actually comes standard with the NAV system. I don't know if it is available from the dealers as an add-on - or if it would even be functional/compatible with the radio.

The radio antenna is relocated in the passenger side rear window - it resembles defroster wires, but the wires are diagonal and they are spaced out wider.

Here's some piccys...

From the left rear side:

From the left side:

From the front:

Hope you all enjoy. I guess maybe a full profile would have been nice, but the antenna is so small, it didn't show up well with the busy background.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Mini2Go
Uh. I guess I need to try this again. Give me a few minutes.... Sorry!

Old 11-05-2002, 08:05 PM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see i am not the only one who can not sleep

Old 11-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Mini2Go
hehe! Well, not now anyhow! I've got to get these darn pics working!

Old 11-05-2002, 08:28 PM
SkAlex
4th Gear
Anyone with a white roof got pics of the sharkfin antenna?

SkAlex
4th Gear
SkAlex
4th Gear
Old 11-05-2002, 08:29 PM
SkAlex
4th Gear
Old 11-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Mini2Go
Well, I used a link until I have more time to figure out how to attach the iges. I know I saw that post somewhere....

PS. SkAlex, it looks like you hit "Submit" with the superspeed click! Whew!

Old 11-05-2002, 08:39 PM
SkAlex
4th Gear
My Internet Explorer is sick i think. Sorry.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:09 AM
swinburne
1st Gear
I'm having second thoughts about ordering the NAV system. My production date is Dec 2, so I've got to act fast. How do you like your system? I understand MINI's going to a DVD version in March that's supposed to be more 'user friendly.' Do you think the system is hard to understand/operate?
I have an Audi with NAV, and while it was a royal pain figuring it out, once I clicked my brain into Teutonic mode it was fine. It doesn't know shortcuts but it'll keep you from getting lost. I was daydreaming on the Belt Parkway one day, missed the turn for the Battery Tunnel and wound up in the bowels of Brooklyn; flipped the 'Take me home, Jeeves' button and the system routed me to Jersey via the Brooklyn Bridge and Holland Tunnel!
Those double speedo/tach pods -- are they readable?

Jack

Old 11-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Mini2Go
How do you like your system?
I, for one, love it!

I understand MINI's going to a DVD version in March that's supposed to be more 'user friendly.' Do you think the system is hard to understand/operate? I have an Audi with NAV, and while it was a royal pain figuring it out, once I clicked my brain into Teutonic mode it was fine.
I never received a manual with my system figured it all out within minutes. I think it is very easy to use overall. I think the main bonus of the DVD system would be additional information, and possibly more area covered. I wouldn't, however, postpone ownership of a MINI just for this reason! but it'll keep you from getting lost. I was daydreaming on the Belt Parkway one day, missed the turn for the Battery Tunnel and wound up in the bowels of Brooklyn; flipped the 'Take me home, Jeeves' button and the system routed me to Jersey via the Brooklyn Bridge and Holland Tunnel! [/quote]

The NAV is very comprehensive in some areas and not too detailed in others. Metropolitan areas are usually covered really well. The further out in the sticks you get, only main roads show up. I have let Molly guide me around quite a bit. I have been surprised at some of the routes she's found for me.

Those double speedo/tach pods -- are they readable?
I think I like them even better than the single tack w/ center speedo. (I know, not very traditionalist of me....) But, I have absolutely NO problems reading the guages and I love the placement of the NAV screen. Only complaint is I wish I could have some of the other guages like engine temp and oil pressure instead of 'idiot lights'.

Hope this helps. There are numerous threads related to NAV, just do a search to find them!

Old 12-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
Yes, I have the nav antenna with the white roof! Looks great. Actually one of the most common comments I get is regarding the antenna.. I will take a picture as soon as I get the car clean. It's been raining here and my work keeps me soooo busy my MINI is suffering! HELP!

Old 12-16-2002, 01:43 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oo I like that!

Old 12-18-2002, 06:51 AM
dingo
Neutral
apparently this is the same disk fed gps nav system as bmw puts in other cars. probably the worst one on the market say reviews on theweb and in major electronics and motoring mags. not to mention it's incredibly overpriced. I have a streetpilot by garmin. WOrks great cost me 200 bucks.. and WHEN (not if) the system breaks.. i don't have a big stupid blank screen to cover or fix.
Of course i custom ordered my mini s. when it came with the gps nav system, i ordered another car. they were quite suprised when they offered to take the price off the total and i told them to shove it. so.. back to waiting.

Old 12-18-2002, 07:04 AM
npartist
4th Gear
I have a pic of my "shark fin" on a white roof on page 104 of member's mini's. I am going to try and put it here,well didn't work:
here is the link to the page Shark Fin Pic on white roof

Old 12-18-2002, 07:06 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>Of course i custom ordered my mini s. when it came with the gps nav system, i ordered another car. they were quite suprised when they offered to take the price off the total and i told them to shove it. so.. back to waiting.

Old 12-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Mini2Go
>>I have a pic of my "shark fin" on a white roof on page 104 of member's mini's. I am going to try and put it here,well didn't work:
>>here is the link to the page Shark Fin Pic on white roof

Interesting.... I thought it would be white!

>> apparently this is the same disk fed gps nav system as bmw puts in other cars. probably the worst one on the market say reviews on theweb and in major electronics and motoring mags. not to mention it's incredibly overpriced. I have a streetpilot by garmin. WOrks great cost me 200 bucks.. and WHEN (not if) the system breaks.. i don't have a big stupid blank screen to cover or fix.

From the reviews I've read about the MINI system, although it is based on the poorly-rated BMW system, it is not the same - and it gets higher marks. I subscribe to the "don't knock 'til you've tried it" philosophy, and I think the people knocking this system would be pleasantly surprised if they used it for any amount of time. I'm not saying that it is THE BEST Nav system, but it is intuitive and easy to use. The integration with the car is very unique and (in my personal opinion) tasteful

As for it breaking, eh, it's under warranty for 4 years anyhow - who knows whether I'll even have it after that.

The price may seem high, but I feel that it has already paid for itself on the few road trips i've taken. The wife can't read in the car and not having to mess with maps while driving is a huge bonus! Having the system talk to you is great because you don't have to constantly look at the screen (versus the road) to know what the heck you need to do next.

I reject someone else's criticism that it is a square peg in a round hole - it is not a peg at all.

Ultimately, this system is not right for everyone, but I am tickled with it and would unabashedly recommend it - especially to anyone who isn't sure what the "right" Nav for them really is.

Old 01-05-2003, 12:38 PM
minilee
1st Gear
Nav system in the MINI is fine. It is not expensive until you price it against a cheap handheld. It is average priced for the Nav it is. It happens to work fine and is easy to use. I've had others that were more advanced but also more money. The improvement I'd like to have seen would have to been a DVD based so it hade more info on one disk. If mine should ever break and deemed to need replacement without warranty work I'd purchase one of the new Pioneer systems and integrate it into the original screen.

Old 01-05-2003, 12:58 PM
W3IWI
5th Gear
>> ... The improvement I'd like to have seen would have to been a DVD based so it hade more info on one disk.

Minilee -- Surprisingly enough, each CD (at leased based on looking at Regions 5 & 6) is only about 50-60% full. I think that the decision to split North America into 8 CD regions was purely economical -- 8*$125 each = $1000 for the complete NoAm universe is more profit for Mini & Navtec.

Production costs for a DVD are only slightly more than a CD -- under a buck per copy for the physical media. I'll bet that the DVD version will require you to enter some sort of key code to validate additional regions. They won't simply GIVE you the entire continent in the base price. It will still cost you something like $100 per region even if they are on one piece of plastic.

Hence I am quite skeptical that the DVD version will be a bargain!

BTW -- the $125 CDs can be copied for personal backup on a PC with a CD burner. Beacuse I distrust what might happen to an expensive CD in hot weather, I have backed up my Region 5 & 6 disks.

Tom (professional GPS Guru and Curmudgeon)

Old 01-08-2003, 12:21 PM
bbmykal
4th Gear
>> Beacuse I distrust what might happen to an expensive CD in hot weather, I have backed up my Region 5 & 6 disks.

Great idea, I knew the burns would work, but I never made a copy for myself!

Old 02-09-2003, 02:34 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
can u really get the shark fin as a normal antenna w/o navigator?

Old 02-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Mini2Go
I think some have tried - without success. I don't believe so.