Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Dorky Cheapskate Mods - Gen 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM
watson 29
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a dremel as well and thought about using it, but after thinking about it more I decided I could probably get a cleaner end result with a sanding disk. It only took me maybe 20 minutes total and I didn't have to be really meticulous. If you only have a dremel then go for it. If you don't have either, an angle grinder is only $20 at harbor freight.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 PM
sorbert
1st Gear
Well thanks for the led bulb link but one thing I put them in the parking light spot and my side turn signals but when I turn my car on they make it kinda look like a cop car since all 4 flash but once I turn park lights on and off they stop anyone else with this problem? They all work though. Now to think on which fogs to get

Last edited by sorbert; 09-16-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sorbert
Well thanks for the led bulb link but one thing I put them in the parking light spot and my side turn signals but when I turn my car on they make it kinda look like a cop car since all 4 flash but once I turn park lights on and off they stop anyone else with this problem? They all work though. Now to think on which fogs to get
Huh? Mine only, flash when locking/unlocking...?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM
sorbert
1st Gear
I'll try and get a video of it i kinda like it but not sure if ilL get in trouble if it happens on the road

Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM
sorbert
1st Gear
Never mind it only last about 10 secs then it stops I was a bit to fast to find a fix. I've also re connected all the lights again

Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 AM
NeuralCord
Neutral
I think this is the soft check of the bulbs the car does - normally with a filament it wouldn't be sufficient for it to light but enough to verify the bulb is there. My LED parking lights do the same thing - blink for about 5 seconds quickly on first start.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:25 AM
sorbert
1st Gear
K thanks glad not just me.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Zeek
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zeek
Did mine yesterday.

A word of warning. Those little 5w bulbs get extremely hot. When I replaced the first bulb, I turned on the lights and tested all four LED sets then installed one of them. The LED lights only work in one direction in the plug. I removed the socket assembly and grabbed the bulb and pulled it out. It was at that time that it felt like my two finger tips were holding the sun. I dropped the bulb on the driveway and had to hold my tongue as my wife and kids were nearby. I ran over and ran water from the faucet over my fingers and my wife went inside to get ice. As I sit here typing, my fingers look and feel burned but have not blistered yet.

My parking lights look much better now though.

Do they make a similar replacement for the fog lights?

Well, one of my LED markers failed. For the last several days I kept getting the bulb warning and could not find any bulbs not working. Yesterday I pulled out the LEDs and one of the five LED squares was blinking erratically. So I swapped it out for one of my spares and it is all good to go now. I could not see the difference with the bad one mounted, but the warning was very annoying.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I'm going to go the other way when I install my gauges....I've scuffed up the raised ring around each gauge pod so it looks matt black in contrast with the rest of the shiny plastic. That way it at least looks distinct instead of the one molded piece that it is. I dont have chrome anyway, just a matt black ring around my rev counter, so it will kind of match that.

Originally Posted by Naylia
I've devoured all 36 pages of the original Dorky Cheapskate modifications thread - and with the thread's location it's mostly all pics of R53s! Show us your dorky cheapskate mods for your Gen 2 Minis! Share your ideas!

I am currently working on chroming my JCW Sport Gauge. The first attempt was using some 1/8" Chrome Pinstriping - $3 at O'Reillys, but that failed horribly. The whole curving thing messed up my sticker.

The next attempt will probably be with Spaz Stix paint. But that's gonna be like $19 (although if it works it'd probably be enough paint to do all the Mini's gauges for those without chrome line trim already.

Doesn't that all black gauge just drive you nuts? Drives me nuts at least....

Any other ideas are appreciated! What mods have you done?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 PM
iamjasonmott
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarlosDMotor
Or for free you can unscrew the antenna. My radio still works fine
Ditto! I took my antenna off the day I got my car (2007 R56). Never looked back, and perfect no difference in reception.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by iamjasonmott
Ditto! I took my antenna off the day I got my car (2007 R56). Never looked back, and perfect no difference in reception.
I live and work near the edge of most of the Boston based radio stations. My reception quality dropped noticeably — more static, less range — when I switched to the official BMW MINI stubby antenna.

Ymmv but if you live in an area with marginal coverage to start, you will probably notice the difference.

(Still worth it to me. Don't love the stock antenna at all.)

Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM
PMKNHD
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The RC antenna is for AM reception only.
Changing it or removing it altogether should have absolutely no effect on FM or Satellite reception.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PMKNHD
The RC antenna is for AM reception only. Changing it or removing it altogether should have absolutely no effect on FM or Satellite reception.
Really? I put a stubby on my car last year and ever since I get a little static when listening to NPR compared to before. I'm not convinced.

I believe you that it plays a big role on AM stations. I can't make out sh*t on the emergency AM station for the causeway bridge since switching. Not that it was audible before...

Old 11-26-2013, 03:15 PM
PMKNHD
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
Really? I put a stubby on my car last year and ever since I get a little static when listening to NPR compared to before. I'm not convinced.

I believe you that it plays a big role on AM stations. I can't make out sh*t on the emergency AM station for the causeway bridge since switching. Not that it was audible before...
Certainly I could be wrong but I do know I removed mine the day it came into the dealership. The only thing effected was the AM. FM is crystal clear no matter where I go.

I would be curious if you removed the stubby if that would clear up.
Now that would make me scratch my head.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Certainly I could be wrong but I do know I removed mine the day it came into the dealership. The only thing effected was the AM. FM is crystal clear no matter where I go.
Question: do you spend much time at the edge of coverage? That may make a big difference. Certainly I have no trouble within 25-30 miles of Boston. It's only out around 40mi out I start seeing trouble.

I would be curious if you removed the stubby if that would clear up.
Now that would make me scratch my head.
An interesting idea! I may try that sometime when I'm certain of no rain.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
$15 of e-bay parts.

2.75" 90 degree elbow.

3" intake.

3 clamps/DONE.

Sounds great, I'm sure "power wise" its not good.. but that sounddd!!!

See this thread - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ntake-mod.html

Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Jprime84
2nd Gear
I wrapped my gas cap cover trim piece last night after finding a video on how to take it off. it was a challenging shape, and I have some ripples in the wrap out of sight under the handle. I couldn't figure out how to avoid it.

vid on removing the trim part

Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Jprime84
2nd Gear
Last night I painted my tail light trim gloss black. I have some wrap coming this week but I hate using it on those thin trim pieces. I used 600 grit sandpaper on the chrome, did two light coats of auto primer, then did about 3 light coats of gloss black automotive enamel, and 2 medium wet coats and let it sit overnight. This morning they were shiny and smoother than I had imagined. Popped em back on and headed to work.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:29 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I popped off my cup holder trim rings and had them painted bright red, as well as my shifter base trim ring, which I had painted gloss black to match the one on my horn pad.

I also had my trunk lid handle painted black to match my roof.

I'll post pictures sometime after I vacuum out my car. It's hard to keep it clean in the winter.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooter-09'MCS
I too have the short shift and Whalen. Popped the full clutch stop in and away I was driving. Two minute mod and well worth the ten bucks. No problem with missing any shifts...can't see taking away any of the shims.
I have a 2009 MC...I took out one of the shims as with them all on,

1) I had to press the cluctch pedal VERY hard to start the car.

2) I felt that I was encountering some extra resistance changing gears...kinda felt like the clutch wasn't completely disengaging. However, in first gear, stopped, at idle, releasing the clutch a wee bit made no apparent difference in RPM's, so maybe the clutch WAS completely disengaging?

Anyway, #1 was enough to make me remove a shim, and, shifting feels as good as it did with all the spacers.

With one shim out, it works great.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wsalopek
I have a 2009 MC...I took out one of the shims as with them all on,

1) I had to press the cluctch pedal VERY hard to start the car.

2) I felt that I was encountering some extra resistance changing gears...kinda felt like the clutch wasn't completely disengaging. However, in first gear, stopped, at idle, releasing the clutch a wee bit made no apparent difference in RPM's, so maybe the clutch WAS completely disengaging?

Anyway, #1 was enough to make me remove a shim, and, shifting feels as good as it did with all the spacers.

With one shim out, it works great.

I always feel like I'm the ONLY one who isn't impressed with this shim piece. I mean, people go nuts and rave about how perfect it is but I just don't get it. I don't think I could have installed it wrong, so maybe its the way I shift? I don't press the pedal to the floor during normal shifting so I never even reach the clutch stop on a normal basis. Is this supposed to be for speed shifting?

I too have had a negative experience starting the car with this piece. Sorry guys but I feel like an alien on this one. I just don't get the appeal

Old 12-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Green Flash
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Visor Yellow Decal Fix

Recently found this thread and saw the post on placing beige/white vinyl over the offensive yellow decals on the visors. I, too, found the yellow decals annoying and chose a commercial application for a solution. It was low cost and, I believe, classifies as dorky, particularly among those dislike stickers. But, this was not adding stickers, just improving ones that are OEM.

With the view that maybe a seatbelt warning could be helpful, I found a better worded and more readable message for the passenger side visor.

Not needing such a message for the driver's side, since I always use my seat belt, I choose a black jack for a bit of British image.

]

Purchased these stickers from the artist who makes the sunshades with eye expressions - Artistic Reflection.

http://www.artisticreflection.com/fu...r-stickers.htm

They come in two's for $8.00. So, I do have an extra set of this mismatched pair. Giving thought to buying a second MINI - if so, the offensive yellow will be quickly dispensed.

Not much money, the offensive yellow decals are covered, and the MINI is personalized a bit.

Last edited by Green Flash; 01-09-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Nice! I hadn't seen these before. I've been putting off the service bulletin to replace the visors because I have custom decals on the current set and hadn't seen any decals that I liked for new visors.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
skucie
2nd Gear
I've done striping with plasti-dip before too, here's a time-saver. Peel up the masking tape before the plasti-dip dries. it will leave a nice clean edge that will be less likely to lift over time.

Originally Posted by bratling
Another dorky cheapskate mod: before paying a vinyl shop to cut a custom hood stripe for me, today I used plastidip to see if it would really look as hoped. Blue painters tape to define the shape and mask off the washer jets, and newspaper to cover the car from overspray. Since it dries stretchy, I used a straight razor to slice a line in the coating along the tape when I removed the tape and paper. Pics:

Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM
swooshmac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job

sweet looking! I did that with my 2012 Roadster but never posted pics. it's easy and if you order from China.. it's only 10 bucks. they last a long time too. only problem I had within the 2 years was one of the LED squares burnt out so I had to order again the strip.

but I just got a new JCW and I got the official MINI LED DRL lights.. now those are sweet!! have you seen them? i'll post mine on here soon.

later

Originally Posted by speedkills66
Wanted to do something this weekend, and none of the "fun" things I've ordered have arrived, soooo...

Don't know if I will keep them or not yet, but I installed some 12" flexible LEDs in the gap between the bonnet and bumper for a cheapo faux Audi-ish DRL look...
Wired into the parking lights behind the wheel wells.
Cost = $20 (PepBoys)
Time = 1 hour

Pics:

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Dorky Cheapskate Mods - Gen 2