Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!

Alex from CCM Auto Repairs has hooked me up from the jump. I saw his badass E55 AMG Kleemann Stage 2 and knew this guy knows a ton. One of the things that caught my eye was his steering wheel. His brother with a Porsche also had an amazing steering wheel. During the process I knew I was going to need a new steering wheel because the stock one just didn't cut it. Dallas Custom Steering Wheels custom made me a steering wheel and I couldn't be more excited to have it delivered and installed. Its been a week since it was shipped out and it will be put on a FedEx truck today on its way back, super fast turnaround time. So here is a few pics and specs. Trust me, I will have more once its installed. Going custom was worth every penny, and it wasn't as expensive as one would think. You can choose from a bunch of options.

- Perforated Black Leather Sides
- Solid Black Leather Top & Bottom
- Red Motorsport Ring at 12'
- Silver Stitching
- 1/8" Padding for Added Thickness

Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Thumbnails Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!-picture_009.jpg   Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!-picture_010.jpg   Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!-picture_014.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Looks like some high quality work - please post some more photos when you have it installed

Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you send in your steering wheel and they do all that stuff? or do you just buy one from them already "made"

Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know why you don't have it installed yet? It only takes about five minutes. Plus I have an extra stock wheel sitting around that I am willing to part with.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Revoked
2nd Gear
That looks fantastic!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
5 might be exaggerating, but 20-30min is all it really takes. swapping the steering wheel controls takes the longest

Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmm I don't know it only took me about 5 too take it off and put it back on. I gues it is just me.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Those are just the pics that Don from Dallas Custom sent over before he boxed it up. Should be here in a few days.

Any steering wheel you want he can customize. We sent in my steering wheel and chose the options we wanted. He didn't have any MINI SWs so I just sent mine in. Since the downtime isn't much it was okay. The install is definitely a breeze. Will let u guys know when it's in my hands.

Here is his site: http://dallassteeringwheel.com/

Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
Hmmm I don't know it only took me about 5 too take it off and put it back on. I gues it is just me.
Took me 15 minutes the first time, and maybe 10 minutes the second time but if it were a contest, I think I could beat your 5 minutes! Seriously, it is really that easy.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:06 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini///M
Alex from CCM Auto Repairs has hooked me up from the jump. I saw his badass E55 AMG Kleemann Stage 2 and knew this guy knows a ton. One of the things that caught my eye was his steering wheel. His brother with a Porsche also had an amazing steering wheel. During the process I knew I was going to need a new steering wheel because the stock one just didn't cut it. Dallas Custom Steering Wheels custom made me a steering wheel and I couldn't be more excited to have it delivered and installed. Its been a week since it was shipped out and it will be put on a FedEx truck today on its way back, super fast turnaround time. So here is a few pics and specs. Trust me, I will have more once its installed. Going custom was worth every penny, and it wasn't as expensive as one would think. You can choose from a bunch of options.

- Perforated Black Leather Sides
- Solid Black Leather Top & Bottom
- Red Motorsport Ring at 12'
- Silver Stitching
- 1/8" Padding for Added Thickness

Let me know what you guys think.
Looks great but how about a few more details? Did you have a basic R56 steering wheel or did it start out as a JCW wheel? So, just over a week to make? How much did it cost you. Looks to me (if you started with a base R56 wheel) that this could be a better option than spending $$$ for a JCW wheel, depending on what it actually cost you. Of course being able to customize it sure is nice.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Looks great but how about a few more details? Did you have a basic R56 steering wheel or did it start out as a JCW wheel? So, just over a week to make? How much did it cost you. Looks to me (if you started with a base R56 wheel) that this could be a better option than spending $$$ for a JCW wheel, depending on what it actually cost you. Of course being able to customize it sure is nice.
It started life as just a normal basic R56 wheel. I considered buying the JCW wheel but for its price new, I ended up going custom instead. I tried to find a used one but I was always late to the party. Yeah Don had the entire process done in about a week. I've never heard of a turnaround that fast. Alex also mentioned that his AMG wheel was done just as fast.
The entire "restoration" with the exact options I chose came to $420. It was a little pricier going with a two-tone material, the motorsport ring, and the added thickness (I got 1/8" which is the thickest that can be added). The color of the stitching didn't affect pricing. The process was really straight-forward. And the amount of options were really nice. He has a good selection of materials and colors. At the end of the day I was very happy with the price because of the turnaround time with the work done in the good ol' USA. If you're thinking about getting a wheel done definitely shoot Don an email.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, I had never even thought about having a wheel customized. I might have gone in that direction instead of the JCW wheel I ended up purchasing, which I love by the way. Your custom wheel looks comparable to the JCW wheel shape wise with the added benefit of customization and the prices are about the same. Thanks for providing the forum with another option to the JCW wheel. I am sure there are some out there that will go this route now that it is known.

It started life as just a normal basic R56 wheel. I considered buying the JCW wheel but for its price new, I ended up going custom instead. I tried to find a used one but I was always late to the party. Yeah Don had the entire process done in about a week. I've never heard of a turnaround that fast. Alex also mentioned that his AMG wheel was done just as fast.
The entire "restoration" with the exact options I chose came to $420. It was a little pricier going with a two-tone material, the motorsport ring, and the added thickness (I got 1/8" which is the thickest that can be added). The color of the stitching didn't affect pricing. The process was really straight-forward. And the amount of options were really nice. He has a good selection of materials and colors. At the end of the day I was very happy with the price because of the turnaround time with the work done in the good ol' USA. If you're thinking about getting a wheel done definitely shoot Don an email.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
nice custom wheel. guys do you know if a base r56 non turbo 3 spokes wheel going to fit in a 2003 mcs ? i bought this 3 spokes wheel from a friend for $175 with the multi function switches, too much? he said that it will fit a 2003 with mfsw. is he right? thanks guys.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Took me 15 minutes the first time, and maybe 10 minutes the second time but if it were a contest, I think I could beat your 5 minutes! Seriously, it is really that easy.
Is there a "how to " some place on how to change the steering wheel? I have a 2011 S with the multi function controls.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by capt fred
Is there a "how to " some place on how to change the steering wheel? I have a 2011 S with the multi function controls.
I found the info, sorry.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Sorry guys. I've had this gorgeous steering wheel but the interior of the car is yet to be ready. Since the car isn't moving I'm avoiding installing until its ready. The steering wheel is amazing. I did the back to back comparison with the stock one in my Clubman. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Don is a master at what he does. The soft yet firm feel with the added padding is how it should have come from the factory. Its a bit bulkier than my E39 M5 steering wheel (same as E46 M3) and feels perfect.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
So I finally got it installed and was able to test drive the car a few days ago. AWESOME. I mean yes all the modifications have changed the car but the steering wheel feel is fantastic. Its looks great, grips, sits nicely in the palm, I am a happy camper.

Here are a few iPhone pics. Its a crappy day out so I'm sorry these aren't great pics. BTW the car has at least another week in the shop. Have a bunch of things to straighten out. And it needs a serious detail.

Attached Thumbnails Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!-img_2453.jpg   Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!-img_2454.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Looks good, real good!! Congrats

Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
So I finally got it installed and was able to test drive the car a few days ago. AWESOME. I mean yes all the modifications have changed the car but the steering wheel feel is fantastic. Its looks great, grips, sits nicely in the palm, I am a happy camper.

Here are a few iPhone pics. Its a crappy day out so I'm sorry these aren't great pics. BTW the car has at least another week in the shop. Have a bunch of things to straighten out. And it needs a serious detail.
That looks great! And that was a standard MCS wheel to start off with, right? If so, I just may have to send my wheel in to have it modified, even though I currently have the JCW wheel. Do you think he could match the MINI Rooster Red in a perforated leather?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Noonzio
Looks good, real good!! Congrats
Thanks a lot!
That looks great! And that was a standard MCS wheel to start off with, right? If so, I just may have to send my wheel in to have it modified, even though I currently have the JCW wheel. Do you think he could match the MINI Rooster Red in a perforated leather?
Thank you. Yes just a standard wheel. I would say pick up an extra stock steering wheel and get that modified. You wouldn't want to rip apart a JCW wheel. The standard wheels (no paddles) can be had for cheap on eBay and even on this forum. I'm sure he could match just about anything because he has access to so much but also has a good amount in stock. Just shoot him an email and see what he says. I'm sure if you want a perfect match the easiest way is to give him a pantone or take a good picture of it (and of course just sending him a part in that color). He's done so many wheels/boots for so many different cars that he is really familiar with matching.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Thanks a lot!

Thank you. Yes just a standard wheel. I would say pick up an extra stock steering wheel and get that modified. You wouldn't want to rip apart a JCW wheel. The standard wheels (no paddles) can be had for cheap on eBay and even on this forum. I'm sure he could match just about anything because he has access to so much but also has a good amount in stock. Just shoot him an email and see what he says. I'm sure if you want a perfect match the easiest way is to give him a pantone or take a good picture of it (and of course just sending him a part in that color). He's done so many wheels/boots for so many different cars that he is really familiar with matching.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have the JCW that replaced my stock wheel. I still have the stock wheel and that would be the one I'd send in, not the JCW. I actually just happen to have an extra Rooster Red piece that I could send in for matching. I like that green you used on your dash trim pieces. Does it match the outside color of your MINI?

Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have the JCW that replaced my stock wheel. I still have the stock wheel and that would be the one I'd send in, not the JCW. I actually just happen to have an extra Rooster Red piece that I could send in for matching. I like that green you used on your dash trim pieces. Does it match the outside color of your MINI?
Sounds like you are good to go then, you got everything covered. It sure does match the outside

Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
^ yeah I saw that. Those are definitely pictures of my actual wheel. He can make you one exactly the same or with your own customization.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey bro, that gauge pod looks outta place. Wish you got something to match the interior, but the steering wheel looks good. I'm going custom route as well. But that's for another story. I'm going for performance right now, I'll worry about the little stuff later.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Can't wait to get my new Steering Wheel installed!