Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior LED Fog Light DRL's from OutMotoring

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a shame that the pattern is so dispersed. Fog lights should have a flat topped pattern to prevent reflection back to the drivers eyes. Otherwise they look very nice.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Flamewinger
2nd Gear
I'd like them as a set as grill lights and leave the fog lights where they are.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Gillham
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would anyone care to explain the wiring to me a bit? I read that it's plug and play, but also read there's a lead that needs to go the battery?

Do the DRL/Fogs have a relay built into them for the power lead?
Are there two power leads, one for each DRL/Fog light?
It was mentioned that the DRL's are on regardless of the position of your light switch, can they be switched off?

I'd want the LED's to come on whenever the parking lights are on. I would hope that the factory harness could power that.

-Nick

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i wan a set

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Flamewinger
2nd Gear
I'm guessing that to get a similar look to the Audi's, the LED ring is on all the time and the brighter fog lights come on with the switch. To drive with just your raking lights on is illegal anyways.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
XRAMX
1st Gear
the Alta instructions are perfect!! Thanks for the reply, I'll post pic's of the final install

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Gillham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Flamewinger
To drive with just your raking lights on is illegal anyways.
Really? On my BMW I use to drive around w/ my angel eyes and fogs on all the time.

Ideally I'd drive with my parking lamps on (with the DRL LED's on). If I shut my parking lights off, I'd want my DRL LED's off as well. At times I don't want any light coming off my car.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
wineguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gillham
Would anyone care to explain the wiring to me a bit? I read that it's plug and play, but also read there's a lead that needs to go the battery?

Do the DRL/Fogs have a relay built into them for the power lead?
Are there two power leads, one for each DRL/Fog light?
It was mentioned that the DRL's are on regardless of the position of your light switch, can they be switched off?

I'd want the LED's to come on whenever the parking lights are on. I would hope that the factory harness could power that.

-Nick
They are not exactly plug and play, there is a extra wiring harness that connects to both fogs and then to the battery. Here is the picture that shows how it goes that was in the install instructions (which is ryoma111's car). They cannot be switched off, they are like normal DRLs, on whenever your car is running.

I got mine installed, but am having a problem with them flickering on and off, so am re-checking the connections this weekend.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Gillham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wineguy
They cannot be switched off, they are like normal DRLs, on whenever your car is running.
Dang. That's a big turn off for me (no pun intended). Aaron said "They will only come on when the toggle switch for the fog lights is ON...." in an e-mail response to a question I sent in a form on the outmotoring site. So I guess now I'm really confused Maybe he was specifically talking about the fog lights themselves.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem like the harness is easily modifiable, since it looks like the back of the fog is epoxied for weather sealing.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Gillham
1st Gear
To follow up, would anyone mind scanning or taking photos of the instructions? Or doing a wiring diagram? I want to figure out if I can make the LED's only come on when I want.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
Dang. That's a big turn off for me (no pun intended).
Given how simple the wiring looks, I see no reason you could not include a switch somewhere.

I will have these as soon as they make them for 2012.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Gillham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bubble and Squeak
Given how simple the wiring looks, I see no reason you could not include a switch somewhere.

I will have these as soon as they make them for 2012.
There's a drop down for Gen 2 Mini's, 2011 and Newer.

I really wanted to just limit the amount of non-OEM switches. I guess I could look into the DSC/Switch and relay kit (forget what it's called..)

Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 PM
JustDanD
1st Gear
Man, what an absolutely gorgeous card you have there. Looks exactly how I'd like mine to look someday. xD

Those lights are great, though. Definitely going to order a set soon. I love the LED DRL look that people have.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:46 PM
pocari
2nd Gear
How's the color match with the factory hids anyways

Old 03-04-2012, 03:01 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Installation instructions? Mine didn't come with any....looks pretty easy anyway. I'm going to try to tackle this next Saturday if the weather is decent.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
wineguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
Installation instructions? Mine didn't come with any....looks pretty easy anyway. I'm going to try to tackle this next Saturday if the weather is decent.
E-mail Aaron at Outmotoring, he will send them to you.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I do have questions.
Right now on my car, if I move the left toggle on the steering wheel, my DRL will only be on, the eye lid lights will be ON only.
Now, if I replace the set up with theses LED, when I move the left toggle to DRL only, what will happen ??

Are those the same one as the ones you guys bought ? LIGHTS
$228 for Mottoring and $165 on Ebay ... quite a difference

What about the light output compare to your xenon ? do you guys like it or think its not bright enough ?
I like my DRL right now cause of the fact that I can have them on only, not with my xenon, and that I changed the bulb to resemble the xenon(didht like that faded light before)

Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
^that looks like them! With shipping you'll be up to around $190 though...may be worth it to get it from a reputable company for a little extra $$.

I haven't installed yet but from what I've read it sounds like they will always be on when the car is on. Your left toggle will now only control the xenons.

Thanks wineguy for the suggestion! I just sent him an email

Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
calvinora
1st Gear
i just have them installed couple weeks ago and they look great and very bright.
as for the switch, they cant be switched on and off, so the lights on ON ALL THE TIME. at least mine does that...
one other problem is that mine seems to be flickering when reversing the car. wiring maybe ? ( i didnt plug one of the harness because it gets really really hot like burning !!! anybody know why ??)

Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
XRAMX
1st Gear
My LED DRL Install

I thought I would post my PIC's of the Out Motoring DRL fog lamps. Thanks to everyone on the forum for help installing them!

Attached Thumbnails LED Fog Light DRL's from OutMotoring-mini-fog.jpg   LED Fog Light DRL's from OutMotoring-mini-fog-1.jpg   LED Fog Light DRL's from OutMotoring-mini-fog-x2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XRAMX
I thought I would post my PIC's of the Out Motoring DRL fog lamps. Thanks to everyone on the forum for help installing them!
I think you need some more lights on the front of that car.
Do you have cooling problems? Mini recommends no more than 2 lights in front of the grill.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
^that looks like them! With shipping you'll be up to around $190 though...may be worth it to get it from a reputable company for a little extra $$.
You know that they order those from Asia right maybe even from Ebay haha Anyway, looks like they are out for March, so anyone who wants them will get them from Ebay.

That kinda sucks for the lights to be on all the time ... I purposely have my lights on Auto so they only come on at dusk or night time and sometimes I like to only have the DRL eyelid ... I guess if I was to swap I ll need to do a switch or something.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
wineguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by calvinora
i just have them installed couple weeks ago and they look great and very bright.
as for the switch, they cant be switched on and off, so the lights on ON ALL THE TIME. at least mine does that...
one other problem is that mine seems to be flickering when reversing the car. wiring maybe ?
I thought I was the only one having a problem with flickering. Mine were flickering on and off, so I took off my bumper off again, checked all the connections and put Heat Wrap on the connections to the old Parking Lights. That seemed to have helped, but they do still flicker when I put in reverse also.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 AM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
How did you guys run your wire up to the battery compartment? I haven't installed mine yet but after scoping it out today I'm not sure how I'm going to get the wire into the compartment.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Flamewinger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Flamewinger
To drive with just your raking lights on is illegal anyways.
Really? On my BMW I use to drive around w/ my angel eyes and fogs on all the time.

Ideally I'd drive with my parking lamps on (with the DRL LED's on). If I shut my parking lights off, I'd want my DRL LED's off as well. At times I don't want any light coming off my car.
Just because you get away with it doesn't make it legal. Many run red lights and get away with it. The laws are not enforced as they should be and people are doing whatever they want. Yes, you are able to drive with any lights but that doesn't make it OK. A fellow worker got a ticket for driving with parking lights so it's possible to get noticed. Expensive too. With the depression and governments looking for extra funding, it's even more possible.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior LED Fog Light DRL's from OutMotoring