Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Clearbra then stripes? Vs Stripes then Clearbra?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearbra then stripes? Vs Stripes then Clearbra?

I would like to put a full clearbra on the hood. I started to think that it would be a good idea to put the clearbra down first then the stripes. My thought is that I dont want to have any gap from the edge of the stripe to the paint.
Does anyone have any personal experience with this? or thoughts?
Thank you

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Oooh, I'm subscribing to this thread as I'm getting ready to repaint the hood and want to do the same thing and can't decide which way to go!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Let me get this straight: You want to put on a clear bra then lay the stripes over that? If I've gotten your intention correctly, think about it for a mo. The stripe would be outside the bra on the nose of the bonnet getting beat up by every kamakazi bug out there not to mention sand and gravel. That would defeat the purpose of the clear bra to begin with. Lay down the stripes then apply the clear bra. You can thank me later with a mixed 6 pack of rare ale.

PS: Beautiful sig picture, d-f. Where away (with no intention of hijacking the thread)?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
ryanhaddad
2nd Gear
Another vote for stripes first. Then clear mask. That is how mine will be set up.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My vote is for full clear bra first, than stripes. I have seen too many MINIs with messed up clear bras because of stripes under it... Put it this way: how much is a full clear bra with install? And how much is a pair of hood stripes with install? Exactly!

If the stripes get damaged, it's much cheaper than the entire hood clear bra that will get messy because uneven surface with stripes at the bottom... Again, I have seen a lot of bad bras with stripes under...

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Let me get this straight: You want to put on a clear bra then lay the stripes over that? If I've gotten your intention correctly, think about it for a mo. The stripe would be outside the bra on the nose of the bonnet getting beat up by every kamakazi bug out there not to mention sand and gravel. That would defeat the purpose of the clear bra to begin with. Lay down the stripes then apply the clear bra. You can thank me later with a mixed 6 pack of rare ale.

PS: Beautiful sig picture, d-f. Where away (with no intention of hijacking the thread)?
Yes, I realize that they will get beat up over time (im not a complete moron, but thanks for the implecations). I am not concerned about the stripes getting beat up as they are realitively inexpensive. My concern/question (slight OCD) is, will their be a gap created by the clearbra from the vinyl stripe to the paint?
That is the question I am asking. And if you can give me an answer to that question, then I will buy you a six pack

Old 09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tata Steva
My vote is for full clear bra first, than stripes. I have seen too many MINIs with messed up clear bras because of stripes under it... Put it this way: how much is a full clear bra with install? And how much is a pair of hood stripes with install? Exactly!

If the stripes get damaged, it's much cheaper than the entire hood clear bra that will get messy because uneven surface with stripes at the bottom... Again, I have seen a lot of bad bras with stripes under...

Good luck.
I have not seen what your talking about, but what your saying is my fear. Again, the OCD will make me rip off the clearbra and correct the problem.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Clear bra will last many years....stripes often last only 1 or 2...

Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Phx JCW
I would like to put a full clearbra on the hood. I started to think that it would be a good idea to put the clearbra down first then the stripes. My thought is that I dont want to have any gap from the edge of the stripe to the paint.
Does anyone have any personal experience with this? or thoughts?
Thank you
Definitely Stripes first then clear bra!

The stripes probably won't stick well to the clear bra film. Plus the clear bra might start to come up or will get pitted with age. You might want to remove the clear bra and put a new one on down the road. You don't want the stripes coming off with the clear bra.

Yes, there will be a gap if you put the clear bra down first and then the stripes because the stripes will be elevated a few millimeters above the paint.

I don't understand the reasoning for putting down the clear bra first and then the stripes, it seems counter intuitive as well as defeating the purpose of the clear bra.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I am obviously not explaining my concern very well.
The bottom line is, I will sacrifice my stripes for a perfectly applied clearbra...versus, a clearbra installed over the stripes and paint with a gap created from the step up and down from the vinyl stripe.
Maybe I should have "Tata Steva" explain what i am talking about since he is the only one that understood what the hell I am talking about.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Originally Posted by b&WCM
Definitely Stripes first then clear bra!

The stripes probably won't stick well to the clear bra film. Plus the clear bra might start to come up or will get pitted with age. You might want to remove the clear bra and put a new one on down the road. You don't want the stripes coming off with the clear bra.

Yes, there will be a gap if you put the clear bra down first and then the stripes because the stripes will be elevated a few millimeters above the paint.

I don't understand the reasoning for putting down the clear bra first and then the stripes, it seems counter intuitive as well as defeating the purpose of the clear bra.

Clear bra is there to prevent paint chips and metal of the hood. Correct? Repainting the hood is far more $$ than a few stripes. Why would you protect vinyl with vinyl???...

There is NO GAP when you apply the clear vinyl first and than the colored stripes on the top. You mixed up the order or something?

Again, I have seen a few messed up clear bras once they start bubbling because pockets along the edges of the stripes under it...

Vinyl stripes will stick to vinyl clear bra. Just like any other vinyl art work on millions of cars and trucks on the road...

Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
I am obviously not explaining my concern very well.
The bottom line is, I will sacrifice my stripes for a perfectly applied clearbra...versus, a clearbra installed over the stripes and paint with a gap created from the step up and down from the vinyl stripe.
Maybe I should have "Tata Steva" explain what i am talking about since he is the only one that understood what the hell I am talking about.
I have a full hood clear bra on my current MINI. Basically, I am the only one noticing that is there, since you can not detect it with out REALLY doing a "close up" look. For a "normal person" is undetected. I am not a fan of stripes (on my car). But if you put them first, and then the full clear bra you will SEE that clear bra very soon (depending on the climate you drive your car in and how OCD you are...). The gap WILL start showing sooner than later. And than, you will not be happy... Trust me...

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see what you are getting at - the person to check with is Mike at aesthetic creations - he did the custom graphics on my MINI and knows what will work and what won't - his web site is here - http://www.aesthetic-creations.com/

Good luck!!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tata Steva
I have a full hood clear bra on my current MINI. Basically, I am the only one noticing that is there, since you can not detect it with out REALLY doing a "close up" look. For a "normal person" is undetected. I am not a fan of stripes (on my car). But if you put them first, and then the full clear bra you will SEE that clear bra very soon (depending on the climate you drive your car in and how OCD you are...). The gap WILL start showing sooner than later. And than, you will not be happy... Trust me...

I literally just ordered my car 30 minutes ago. Not sure if the sport stripes will be installed at the port or at the dealership.
After thinking about it and reading your comments I am pretty sure I am going to have them to a full clearbra and then stripes. It would really be an issue having any gap from the stripe, and another good thing about having them on the outside of the clearbra is, if for some reason I don't like them or want something different then I can just pull them off. Ok Good I'm glad that is done
Thanks for your real world perspective.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigcoyote
I see what you are getting at - the person to check with is Mike at aesthetic creations - he did the custom graphics on my MINI and knows what will work and what won't - his web site is here - http://www.aesthetic-creations.com/

Good luck!!
That is awesome, thank you.
I looked on there website, but couldn't find where they are located.
Mesa? Scottdale?
Thank you

Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Eclipse11S
3rd Gear
I say if you do Full hood Clear Bra and then stripes, there will be no gaps. other way around yes.
Here's mine, not full C Bra. Doesn't bother me how it looks.
Name:  34f2b770.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  117.6 KB

Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
That is awesome, thank you.
I looked on there website, but couldn't find where they are located.
Mesa? Scottdale?
Thank you
He is on the west side - Glendale area - but I live in Mesa and he traveled to my place to do the my install. I own a sign company and I use him for other stuff too - Mike is very good and creative, if you are local give him a call.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
I have a partial hood bra with stripes underneath (dealership installed the stripes before I bought the car). The "gap" on mine is barely discernible and I've had no problem with dirt or damage at the overlap points - nothing the sweep of an alcohol soaked qtip hasn't fixed. I was hesitant to do the bra over the stripes based on comments here, but I've had none of the anticipated problems. Whew!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
If the person installing the clear bra knows what they are doing then stripes will not be a problem. There will be no gaps. The clear bra should deform precisely over the stripe and protect both the paint and vinyl.

Of course you can have bad clear bra installations stripes or no stripes. I have had numerous cars with clear bras installed and they can contort and fit the clear vinyl over a number of complex curves with no problem.

The clear bar if properly installed should act like shrink wrap and as it settles it will create a tight seal over any surface with stripes and no gaps.

If you install the stripes over the top of the clear bra then the stripes will appear to float above the paint slightly and will have a different finish over the stripe as opposed to the paint.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigcoyote
He is on the west side - Glendale area - but I live in Mesa and he traveled to my place to do the my install. I own a sign company and I use him for other stuff too - Mike is very good and creative, if you are local give him a call.
Live in Fountain Hills, but work in N. Scottsdale. I will give him a ring, thank you.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by b&WCM
If the person installing the clear bra knows what they are doing then stripes will not be a problem. There will be no gaps. The clear bra should deform precisely over the stripe and protect both the paint and vinyl.

Of course you can have bad clear bra installations stripes or no stripes. I have had numerous cars with clear bras installed and they can contort and fit the clear vinyl over a number of complex curves with no problem.

The clear bar if properly installed should act like shrink wrap and as it settles it will create a tight seal over any surface with stripes and no gaps.

If you install the stripes over the top of the clear bra then the stripes will appear to float above the paint slightly and will have a different finish over the stripe as opposed to the paint.
I was thinking about the different finishes as being an issue as well, but I don't know if that out ways my original concern. I also like the fact that I could remove or change the vinyl. Going to talk with a few installers locally and see what they think. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:20 AM
cesar418
3rd Gear
I bought the car with stripes then applied the clear bra, the only problem i see is the fact that the clear bra will be damaged if i want to take the stripes out at some point, the stripes get banged up from rock chips as well, so i will have to apply the clear bra again

Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Exactly why the clear bra should always be applied first and stripes on top of it..
Just got to make sure whoever installs the stripes spends the time to get the stripe to "hug" the clear bra VERY good at the step down point as it runs over the edge of the clear bra...

Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO.... and experience, bra first, then stripes. Bras last way longer than stripes and it allows you to change stripes if you want/need to.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2na
IMHO.... and experience, bra first, then stripes. Bras last way longer than stripes and it allows you to change stripes if you want/need to.
I can't understand why people's stripes aren't lasting. I have had a couple of vehicles with stripes and both lasted longer than 6 years and looked great when I sold them. While a clear bra gets damaged by rocks and bugs and rarely looks good after 5 years.

If the stripes are under the clear bra they won't get damaged and will last longer than the clear bra.

I would think the stripes would adhere longer and better to the real paint surface than the 3M film of the clear bra. The vinyl has different properties of expansion and contraction than the 3M film, over time I would think it would wrinkle and loosen the stripes.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Clearbra then stripes? Vs Stripes then Clearbra?