Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior True Bike Rack Tales of Interest

Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM
minicooperP
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True Bike Rack Tales of Interest

Hi all - I've been looking for a definitive answer on the bike rack issue since September last year, but to no avail. I was convinced that RockyMounts' EuroLariat/Euro Pitchfork was the answer for my R56 Mini Cooper S, but the rail is simply not designed with the spoiler in mind. (If you don't know, the act of opening the boot would lift the spoiler directly into the rails, which would be "okay" if you were content with never having access to the trunk, or else, taking 20 minutes each time to install/uninstall the rack when using.) Sorry - but attaching bike rails to a roof rack should be a one-time affair.

Also - and both retailers that I bought these racks from, and indeed, RockyMounts themselves, told me - I *do* know that you can mount them backwards. Just mount them backwards, they said. Well, it's easy to be cavalier if it's not your own car you're talking about. But NAM members, I assure you, it looks absolutely artarded; I mounted one and would have taken a picture, but the sight would've made this bunch cry.

For the record, I want to say that ORS Racks Direct was really, really awesome about taking the pair of EuroLariats I ordered, even though it had been almost four months since they were shipped. No restocking fee, and barely any questions asked. Those guys are awesome. Not so great experience with Rack Attack, however - they're charging me a 15% restocking fee for the Euro Pitchfork, even though the racks were never installed. Rack Attack and RockyMounts - you can NOT advertise that a rack is fit for Mini Cooper if it does not fit the Mini Cooper S; NAM members, please be warned.

So, here's what I'm left with: OEM fork roof (enormously overpriced at $144.95 apiece, and I held one at a dealer - they're disturbingly heavy), or boot mounting: Yakima QuickBack, and Saris Bones, or the Thule 962XT Speedway. After days of going through the forums, it seems people here are pretty happy with what they got, although it does seem that the Saris Bones scratches paint over time.

Question - and especially for anyone who's tried more than one of the above - what's the best one? I'm particularly concerned about scratch/dent issues, but also would love to hear about stability, quality of construction, or convenience factors (how long to take it on/off)? If the OEM roof rack is worth it, I'll pony up, but only if there's nothing but consensus here : )

Please, if any of the rear-mounted racks inflicted any damage on your Mini, please let us all know! Thanks and best regards - Pete

Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
i'd like to know more about this too. i've been wanting a rack but dont know whether to go roof or boot. the only time i'd use mine is for my road trip from socal to seattle and back twice a year so is one more beneficial to mpg? noise?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
I waffled a LOT about the bike rack for my 2008 R56 as well. I finally settled on the Thule Sidearm.

http://thule.com/en/US/Products/Bike...s/5546509.aspx

Yes it is pretty expensive. However it has some qualities that make it a good option for the MINI.

First: No front tire removal. I am lazy and prefer not to remove the tire.
Second: It is dead simple to put a bike on it. Since you're not taking any wheels off the worst thing is that you put the tire down on the roof of the car should you miss the tray.
Third: You can move it so the tray (and back tire of the bike) don't touch the spoiler/liftgate when you have the rack on. Being able to open the hatch is a requirement for me with a bike on. This works like a charm.
Last: It is a simple fit on the OEM rail with a set of long thule bolts. I can take it on and off in about 3 minutes - the majority of that time is trying to get the bolts threaded on.

I really like it. The only thing that i might prefer is to use my hitch rack from 1upusa.com. However, the hitch is expensive and i'd spend my time installing or paying someone to do it. Furthermore i'd be swapping out the 1.5" bar on it since my Pilot has a 2" receiver. What a hassle! Plus I actually LIKE the look of the roof rack on the R56. Looks like it has a handle on it or something.

Hope this helps! If the weather clears I'll get a pic of the rack with a bike on the MINI. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
why did you decide to go with the thule over the MINI OEM one? they both look the same and the MINI one is like $25 dollars cheaper.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Corin -

I am running OEM base bars and the Thule Sidearm just to be clear.

The sidearm doesn't touch the frame like the MINI OEM one does. This allows for non-traditional tubesets to work without issues. I have a tri bike with aero tubes and this works without issues. Furthermore this keeps me from having anything rub against the tubes unnecessarily. All my bikes work perfectly with the sidearm and it takes no time to install a bike on it.

Finally, if I should ever ditch the bike rack the used market seems to be pretty good for Thule stuff (although I don't plan on selling).

Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
sorry for stealin this thread...

cool cool, i got a little confused when you didn't specify that it was the bike frame but i eventually got it.
im just debating now if i want to go with the side arm or just go with the fork mount...do you know if one is more stable than the other? i just don't want to be worrying about it.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM
MINIskier
Neutral
The Euro Pitchfork is probably the best fork mount bike rack that will fit the MINI OEM rack, I cut about 2cm off the tray to fit on my Cooper. The Cooper S may require more to be cut off, this may cause problems on larger mtn bikes with longer wheel bases.

If you are worried about gas mileage a rack that is on the bonnet will be better. I just drove 1100 miles with one bike on the roof, my average mileage was 39mpg, with out the bike I usually average 41mpg.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
minicooperP
Neutral
Thanks, and an update for all! Got an awesome message in response to a PM to MeanAndMellowMINI, who had the Yakima Quickback 3 but traded up:

MeanAndMellow: Sure thing, I'd love to share. The straps are a pain in the *** to put on/keep on and when its attached it's hard to use the trunk. The rubber on the ends of the straps sucks and wore through to the metal after a month. It didn't scratch my paint at all but there is a tiny dent where the stupid top strap slipped out when I was closing the trunk. Worst of all the rack moves around when you put bikes on it and drive. like the physics just don't allow it to be stable. Dont ever bother trying to put 3 bikes on it. I almost lost one going down the highway...no lie I can't believe it barely hung on. For one bike it's acceptable. Two bikes...ESPECIALLY any mountain bikes that weigh more than road bikes is just a pain. I recommend looking for another option if possible. I've been very satisfied with my roof rack and bike holders thus far and I do a lot of traveling with them. The quickback is probably the best for the mini as far as a trunk rack but the way the car is that style is just a major pain in the ***. I would never use one again and would install a hitch before I would put that back on my car. I had zero peace of mind driving down the road with that on. There is my review/rant. I was glad to see it go...it worked much better on the lady that I sold it to's Nissan Altima with a normal trunk. Very solid on that car, sucks on ours. Hope this helped. Let me know what you think.

Anyway, you guys are great - let's get the information out there! The bike rack/industrial complex who want to sell you a bike rack but doesn't understand the MINI has very particular needs : ) Anyone want to comment on the OEM fork holder? At this point, I'm leaning toward getting the Mini Fini Sport Link III, seeing as it doesn't seem I've got a lot of choice! Still have to wrap my mind I'm to allow holes drilled into the bumper and amazed at the courage people have managed to summon up...

Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Colin:

The side arm is rock solid. My road, tri and mountain bike all fit with no issues and don't move at all once the bike is installed.

Fork mount racks are also rock solid. One issue i have seen with fork mounts is with mountain bikes that have large disc brake calipers. Sometimes the brake mount hangs low and interferes with the latch mechanism with fork mount rack. If you are a Cannondale fan and have a lefty then you can't really use a fork mount but since you don't mention it I assume this is not an issue.

You can't go wrong either way - just remember that any fork mount tray will need to be cut or mounted backwards.

MiniCooperP - I personally think that the minifini sportlink is overpriced. I think that a hitch is a better option. Easier to conceal and you are not tied to their proprietary system. A minidomore hitch + saris thelma is a good match and will cost less than a minifini.

I agree that strap racks on the rear window are a bad idea. I am not willing to risk dents/scratches on my car and don't feel confident with the strap system for heavier bikes. Furthermore you need to hang your bike off and there is swaying....the nice ones cost just a little less than a roof rack or hitch rack. Just my 2 cents.

I picked up my Thule from EMS locally. REI is also a good place. Both have no issues with returns even after install on racks with no restocking fee (well that was the case when I purchased). Both run discounts from time to time although it is high season for bike racks so they might not be running any discounts. Online there are options but as you mention, most places charge inexcusable restocking fees.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ding me with any other info.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 AM
MeanAndMellowMINI
2nd Gear
Glad I could help a little. I was very hopeful when buying it but was more than disappointed and didn't want to risk damage to my car from the rubber wearing out and the straps/rack slipping. I didn't originally want a roof rack but the convenience and peace of mind has more than paid off for the slightly less attractive looks of it.

Overall I feel like the touring bike holder has been solid. Aside from losing one set of keys I've enjoyed its convenience. Interesting strap design but burning the ends of the nylon straps keeps them from fraying. Theres not much room inside the car for front wheels which is why I didn't go for the fork mount. Plus a full bike up there just looks badass.

Kevin

Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Nynomad
1st Gear
Just thought I'd mention that I have the Thule sidearm also - works great once you get the longer bolts...

Also have a yakima king cobra (no front tire removal) - using the yakima universal mounts. It fits backwards but the bike wobbles a bit more than i'd like. Might be that the universal mounts are rated for I think 30lbs and my bike weighs 38lbs (santa cruz Bullit).

Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
I am posting a bit late on this but I have the rocky mounts and they fit fine. I probably ordered the ones you returned to ORS because I just got a new one super cheap!

I replaced the trays with what seems to be an older model (the blue matches my laser blue) and these trays are about 1.5 inches shorter than the ones it came with.

Maybe the original trays I have are shorter but I can open the trunk with the trays mounted.

Weird.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am running a Thule rack with Peleton carriers http://thule.com/en/US/Products/Bike...ers/22500.aspx.
I do have to carry the front wheels in the car but can open the bootlid fully without fouling. I think the front wheel off racks MAY help a bit with noise and gas mileage. I carry the front wheels in wheelbags to keep the interior tidy.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 PM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I think the front wheel off racks MAY help a bit with noise and gas mileage.
If you have a bike on the roof its going to be noisy and your mileage will go down front wheel off or not.

That makes me think of the people who drive their truck with the tailgate down to save on gas mileage.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/05.html

Old 06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did say MAY. You can believe it or not, but I get better mileage with only one bike than two, so I don't think it's an all or nothing scenario. I am pleased enough though, on a trip last weekend with one large framed mtb on top, I still averaged around 25mpg with the cruise set on 80.