Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior "Gradient" Bonnet Stripe

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
"Gradient" Bonnet Stripe

Been seriously considering a matte black gradient bonnet stripe on my CR/CR R56. Wondered if there's anyone out here with a similar stripe, that has a pic they could share. Also, don't mind any opinions on this stripe either, if you all have one...cause I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Here's an example:

Last edited by 10Zero; 05-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think it would be totally sweet! Are you going after the single wide stripe (I am guessing) over the double shelby type? The single style would be awesome...the double, a bit too much with the horizontals...
Also...is it going over the top of your scoop, or just up to the back of it? Continuing over the length of the roof? I know...a lot to consider!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:01 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by moodylewdd
I personally think it would be totally sweet! Are you going after the single wide stripe (I am guessing) over the double shelby type? The single style would be awesome...the double, a bit too much with the horizontals...
Also...is it going over the top of your scoop, or just up to the back of it? Continuing over the length of the roof? I know...a lot to consider!
Looking at a single width, from the back of the scoop (maybe even lay the first cross section right on the back portion of the scoop). I'm really digging this pattern, but finding it tough to locate something where the leading edge is at 16" (or close) to match the width of the scoop, then fade slightly wider towards the back. I'm just looking to do the bonnet, I think it would be too much running all the way down the roof (hood). A suttle addition but badass. The pic is the closest I've gotten without a custom cut...I'm waiting on a leading edge measurement.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:53 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
I think that Orangecrush did a trial with a gradient. Maybe he'll see this thread and post a link to the pics. I don't see them offhand but then again he has a zillion posts on here.

Personally, I dislike this look. But to each his (or her) own.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsargevt
I think that Orangecrush did a trial with a gradient.
Yup. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

My response:
Sorry, doesn't do much for me.

Visually, it doesn't work for me (BFA in Fine Arts). It makes the front of the car look bare. If you like that graduated line motif, it needs to be mirrored in the front -- starting from the bar below the bottom grille, working up to the bottom of the scoop. The smaller lines would be at the scoop and the heavier lines on the bumper.

Also, it doesn't evoke any of the heritage of racing stripes, so it is just a decoration
If you black the scoop, you would definitely need to turn the design around with solid at the scoop, and fading at the windshield.

Also, the progression needs some work. Just before it hits the solid black, the stripes become fairly similar in width for awhile, then boom, all black. It should be a mathematical progression. Something like each stripe being 125% as wide as the one preceding it.

Even with a black scoop, I think you would need something to balance it on the bumper. I'm not sure what.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Thanks Robin for the find.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Yea, thanks Robin. Got some good points here, ones I need to mill over. After seeing it on a mini now, gonna give some thought to it. I have to agree though, the front end looks a bit bare. Still like the look...just not sure 100% on the mini. I'll stare at it a few hours....

Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Oh hey Robin...noticed your car has a body color roof like I do, but no stripes on the roof...Does it look empty at all in your opinion? I've really thought many a times of striping my hood like yours, but was afraid it would look out of place without some sort of striping on the roof too, which I don't want to do. I've looked at yours time and time again, wondering if that's the way to go.(CR with black striping)

I've toyed with the idea of a really fat blackout, sorta like this, it's 20" wide:

Last edited by 10Zero; 05-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 PM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The yellow car above is kicking!!! stripe needs to be as wide as the scoop ( as it is ) and go back from there and get wider till it ends at windshield..
Scoop may or may not need to be black..
Could then continue down in front of the scoop even solid black down the bumper..

Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Seeing it on the yellow car, I would have to agree with Robin Casady, it does make the front of the car look bare (MFA in fine arts) ...if you were to do it, maybe bringing the black into the scoop itself would be enough, but then again a stripe extending further would be better balanced. I pulled off my white rally style stripes and went with a double black shelby style. It looked funny until it was extended all the way down. (But then the boot looked bare-so the stripe extended to the back).
Maybe playing with it in photoshop, or even just looking at stripe examples (there is a whole thread on nothing but stripes) might help you to decide the best look for you.