Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior No-holes front plate holder for under $10

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No-holes front plate holder for under $10

Seeing the price of current no holes solutions, I couldn't justify spending that much for something so simple. I decided to utilize the OEM tow hook in addition to a plate frame I had from my old car. I bought some angled aluminum from Home Depot for about $6, and all the hardware you can see in the pictures. This is what I came up with:

The prototype:
No-holes front plate holder for under -vzyjo.jpg

... and the final piece painted. I cut down the bolts, added random caps I found at my house. I still need to cut down the bolts holding the plate to the frame and find some caps for those. I would like it to sit closer to the bumper, but for under $10, I'm not complaining.

No-holes front plate holder for under -p3mo5.jpg
No-holes front plate holder for under -bkpnt.jpg
No-holes front plate holder for under -dd4np.jpg
No-holes front plate holder for under -tju2k.jpg

Old 02-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cheep and effective

wins in my book for sure! Just remember to keep some wrenches in you car kit so that you can take this off if you have to actuall use the tow hook!

Matt

Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks Great, nice job

Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
wins in my book for sure! Just remember to keep some wrenches in you car kit so that you can take this off if you have to actuall use the tow hook!

Matt
I keep a 159 piece Craftsman tool set (plus extras) in the boot so no issues there

Old 02-02-2010, 06:46 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks great! As said, cheap and effective are always wins! Can you do a right up with the parts and tools needed? I may look into this. The GoMINIGo no holes holder's bolts seized up on me and I may need to replace it.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Looks great! As said, cheap and effective are always wins! Can you do a right up with the parts and tools needed? I may look into this. The GoMINIGo no holes holder's bolts seized up on me and I may need to replace it.
Not really sure of the hardware sizes, I kind of just grabbed what I thought would work. Tools were just basic sockets (12 and 14 I think I used) and screwdrivers.

The bolts holding the bracket to the plastic frame should have small, round heads so the plate can slide over them with little force. The whole thing is pretty much cut and drill where you see in the pictures.

I'm not entirely sure where you can get a license plate frame like the one I had though. It came with my old car about 6 years ago.

As for aligning the tow hook so its parallel to the ground, use one of these snap rings (5/8"). Its the one on the right:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Photos/Chai...pRingEclip.jpg

It's really a straight forward process. Very easy. Shouldn't take you more than 2 hours + painting time.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Good job, I've got the aluminum stock lying around, so if you do check the receipt and get the hardware sizes I'd love to hear it, as I'll probably have to do this shortly.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Pure f-ing genius...

Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Ok here is my very crude, late at night illustration. The bolt lengths could be slightly shorter (reduce the big bolt by 1/4", maybe 1/2" and reduce the license plate bolts by 1/4" to 3/8"). You could just cut them down, or buy them shorter. Not really an issue.
No-holes front plate holder for under -qcrgi.jpg

You could use this license plate bracket found at Advanced Auto and modify my design slightly by drilling the bracket holes in different locations to make it work. It would probably look cleaner as well, no bolts sticking out the back.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_License-Plate-Mounting-Bracket-Cruiser_6360061-P_N3146_A|GRP2043____

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by plasticknives
Ok here is my very crude, late at night illustration. The bolt lengths could be slightly shorter (reduce the big bolt by 1/4", maybe 1/2" and reduce the license plate bolts by 1/4" to 3/8"). You could just cut them down, or buy them shorter. Not really an issue.

You could use this license plate bracket found at Advanced Auto and modify my design slightly by drilling the bracket holes in different locations to make it work. It would probably look cleaner as well, no bolts sticking out the back.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_License-Plate-Mounting-Bracket-Cruiser_6360061-P_N3146_A|GRP2043____

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.
Better rush this off to the patent office... Seriously. You could make a few bucks.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 AM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by burley
Better rush this off to the patent office... Seriously. You could make a few bucks.
Honestly I would rather the community just know there's a cheap alternative to the over priced solutions. I'm not really looking to make a buck.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by plasticknives
Honestly I would rather the community just know there's a cheap alternative to the over priced solutions. I'm not really looking to make a buck.
you can patent it and share it w/ the community. Just dont be surprised if you see this for sale soon

Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by burley
you can patent it and share it w/ the community. Just dont be surprised if you see this for sale soon
I suppose you're right, but from the quick research I just did, the cost of a patent vastly exceeds anything I would be willing to pay.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Mello_Yellow
3rd Gear
If you can't make it yourself, there is one for sale here that's not too expensive:

http://www.mini-madness.com/r53-no-h...ate-frame.aspx

Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Tamadx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mello_Yellow
If you can't make it yourself, there is one for sale here that's not too expensive:

i was jsut going to say i thought i ahve seen this before...

Personaly i would much rather make one my self tho... so good write up!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mello_Yellow

There goes your patent

Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And FWIW,

once you disclose something publicly, no more patent. It's in the public domain. Going farther off topic, there is a technique of putting things into the public domain when you don't want to bother with a patent, but don't want a competitor to gain advantage by patenting the idea....

Back to your regularly scheduled banter.

Matt

Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 PM
kb30
3rd Gear
Good job I have been meaning to do this for awhile, i think im gonna use a ebay jdm license plate holder that i got some years ago instead of the angle stock...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DLVI%26ps%3D54
it's gonna be lower but i think it looks good that way. (from the go mini go pics as a reference)

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Nice.

I like DIYs.

Seems you can raise and lower the plate by virtue of where you mount the horizontal bracket to the vertical plate holder.

If you don't have the vertical piece, perhaps a piece of aluminum plate from one of the big box stores will work.

Again, nice.