Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7 Scoop installation...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:14 PM
vjaramillo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M7 Scoop installation...

Man...it was a pain:

The on-line instructions were helpfull but needed a little more info to be perfect. Like indicating the size of nut so users know what socket to use.

The washers could have been larger so it covers the existing holes completely for a secure fit.

A larger drill bit. According to the instructions, users are suppose to drill from the engine side of the bonnet to make a hole large enough to fit the socket. The 1/4" bit didn't help. Most of the installation time was spent using the drill bit to make the initial hole wide enought for my socket. A drill bit that would drill a hole large enough to accomodate a 3/8" or 10mm socket would've saved so much time and sweat, and would have resulted in a cleaner drill hole.

Once I installed the screws the front screw and washer didn't tighting the scoop down enought so it moved side to side. Looking at the screw and washer it screwed all the way flush to the sheet metal inside the large opening made by the drill. Now I can't get to it and I had to rig an attachment straight to the bonnet. Now it's snug and doesn't move, but the detail is ugly.

Lastly, looking at the scoop head-on shows an ugly detail. It looks unfinished. You would have thought they noticed this and added a nice black mesh.

Vince

Attached Thumbnails M7 Scoop installation...-bad-detail.jpg   M7 Scoop installation...-dscn0296.jpg   M7 Scoop installation...-dscn0297.jpg  
Old 11-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
From the front it DEFINITELY looks like something is missing...that makes my choices a little different as I was looking at getting the Vortex scoop too...

Old 11-26-2009, 05:45 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it looks pretty sweet as long as you're not looking directly into the scoop.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Stig One
Banned
I have one too and it is S-H-I-T quality

Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does any one have the CF version? I was thinking of going with that since I have the JCW CF scoop on my car. I was interested in the M7 Vortex scoop because it looks more aggressive.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
M7 Vortex 2 Scoop

LOVE IT!!!!

Attached Thumbnails M7 Scoop installation...-dsc_0009.jpg   M7 Scoop installation...-dsc_0011.jpg   M7 Scoop installation...-dsc_0012.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
M7 Vortex 2 Scoop

Works very well with the CF mirror caps. It is not near as aggressive as I thought it would be which is great! I think it looks edgey without being gaudy. Took awhile to get it in but well worth the wait in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails M7 Scoop installation...-dsc_0013.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to confirm...

Vortex 2 Scoop does require drilling? I want to get the CF version cause my original hood is melting due to heat from the turbo.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:56 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
It does require drilling one hole.

I've got the parts but, so far, not the time to epoxy a piece of stainless mesh into the back of the scoop to reduce the amount of "road debris" that goes through the scoop and it'll be painted black. I'll also be masking off the entire hole when the scoop is out and I'll paint the inside of the hood area to get rid of the blue paint that shows when you look into the scoop.

I've been running with a Scan Gauge this past week and I'm watching my intake air temps. It's been nice to see that my intake air temp runs 6-10 degrees above ambient. Anyone out there with a stock 2nd gen scoop checking their temps? I'm kind of curious what the difference is - if any.

Just be prepared to pick leaves and stuff off the engine and out of the engine bay from time to time but otherwise, it's a nice set up!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
Drilling hole

Yes there is one hole that is drilled from the underside of the bonnet so you arent actually drilling thru the top side. I was worried about this when the direction and this thread talked about drilling a hole. Actually you are just continuing a factory drilled mounting hole that is already in the top side for the OEM scoop.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry, but that looks like ***...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:23 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really can't see the inside area that the scoop reveals unless you are bending down looking in there or you are 3ft tall.

I was going to paint the inside matte black but I decided it does not bother me enough to do so at this time.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 AM
goofyman
1st Gear
All in all i am really happy with the look
The only pain with the installation for me was trimming the bolts. The shop that i had paint the scoop didn't tape off the threads of the bolts so getting the paint out of the threads was not fun. Tried to just tighten the nut on the threads to get it of but ended up torqureing the bolt and having to epoxy back in place.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Deep_Blue
1st Gear
A little more info about Vortex installation

Originally Posted by mickdayank
Yes there is one hole that is drilled from the underside of the bonnet so you arent actually drilling thru the top side. I was worried about this when the direction and this thread talked about drilling a hole. Actually you are just continuing a factory drilled mounting hole that is already in the top side for the OEM scoop.
Hi, sounds like you are one of the few with no complaints or problems with the M7 Vortex scoop. I just purchased one today and it will be here next week. I would really appreciate any tips you can suggest (even about removing the original scoop) so I don't become a complainer. I read the M7 installation instructions and viewed the uTube video, but I am still in the dark about the ease or difficulty of the installation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
Info

Originally Posted by Deep_Blue
Hi, sounds like you are one of the few with no complaints or problems with the M7 Vortex scoop. I just purchased one today and it will be here next week. I would really appreciate any tips you can suggest (even about removing the original scoop) so I don't become a complainer. I read the M7 installation instructions and viewed the uTube video, but I am still in the dark about the ease or difficulty of the installation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Yeah I think that some just like to whine for whatever reason. Really this is a very easy and straighforward evolution. Unless you have no mechanical skill at all, this will be a breeze. Just take your time and put a towel or sheet over the engine so any screws, washers or shavings dont fall into the engine area. I did paint the hole with flat black paint and in fact I used the packing paper that came with the scoop and painters tape to mask the whole. then I put towels around that so no overspray whatsoever would get on it. At first I didnt put any of the "gutter mesh" in there and I happened to be at Home Depot and saw some and so I picked it up since it was only a couple bucks. I then took it and cut it to the rough width of the hole in the Vortex scoop. Again, I didnt go rocket science on it and I just slid the mesh up inside the top of the scoop and folded it down over the hole in the scoop. and then left it long enough so that it basically sits on the same lip that the lower part of the scoop sits on and that essentially holds the mesh in place...no gluing or screwing anything into the scoop. I then mounted it on the bonnet and voila. Dont screw it down too hard or it will fracture the scoop and you will hear it but by that time it will be too late. I am glad I put the mesh in...looks finished and professional. Unless you are mounting a blower on the car you wont find a factory scoop without mesh so I think it also looks "right". It also keeps a lot of the bugs out of the inside as well. The whole shabang took about an hour, if that. I dont see drilling a hole on the underside of the bonnet as a huge deal although some on here think its a tragedy. I didnt use a step bit...just a few bits making the hole a little larger every time until I was happy. I also used a paint pen to paint the nut and mounting screw end so it looks a bit cleaner when you look under the bonnet. Other than that, it is not a big deal at all. Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
Couple pics...have more just need to dig them up.

Attached Thumbnails M7 Scoop installation...-mini-scoop1.jpg   M7 Scoop installation...-mini-scoop2.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
Found 'em

Here ye be.

Attached Thumbnails M7 Scoop installation...-dsc_0011-2-.jpg   M7 Scoop installation...-dsc_0013.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Deep_Blue
1st Gear
Thanks very much for your thoughtful advice and suggestions--the idea about using the mesh is great because my old high school autoshop teacher warned us about birds and rocks coming through hood scoops, of course this was in the 1960s. Thanks for your time and I will update my photos and let you know when the work is done. The photos in your gallery of your car look great!

Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
And try real nuts. WING nuts? please. Get some nyloc's and fender washers.