Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Sunroof Flags

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:07 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to decide what to do about the sunroof flag/graphic question. I'd like to cut down the light through the sunroof, and I'm weighing the options.

Two options I've heard about are Cooper Flags and Mini Cooper Parts. From what I can figure out, the Cooper Flags sunroof graphics are permanent and perforated, and the Cooper Parts flags are temporary vinyl.

So, what's the cost difference between the two? What about installation? It seems like the Cooper Flags graphics require professional installation. Why would you pick one over the other?

Are there other kinds out there I don't know about?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-03-2003, 08:17 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
countrym, I have the vinyl static cling and recommend it. See this other thread for a discussion on it:
Vinyl Static Cling Sun Roof Flag Thread

Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
The cost difference between the two is pretty big. I believe the Cooper Flags permanent decals run about $149 while the static cling flags are around $55.

The static cling is defintely a DIY project. Takes about 15 minutes (I've got a US flag version). I can't say for sure that the Cooper Flags version requires professional installation, but I know they "recommend" it. Seems like if you're patient it should be something you can do yourself. It's a nice flat surface so how hard could it be?

If you're looking to cut down on sun entering the car I think you're best bet is the static-cling version since it's opaque and will block the most light for you.

I chose the static-cling for three reasons:
1. It's way less expensive.
2. I can change decal whenever I want to. I've got a US flag, like I said, AND I've got a group buy going for plain white static decals (for those of us with white roofs who want to blend the sunroof in a bit more). I like the idea of being able to switch between the two designs when I feel like it.
3. I can remove it for the winter so I don't destroy it when I'm trying to get the snow off the roof of my car.

Old 11-03-2003, 08:20 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Yeah, I was actually reading that thread and figured I'd start another instead of hijacking that one.

So why did you pick the temporary vinyl over the permanent one?

Old 11-03-2003, 08:23 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear

>>So why did you pick the temporary vinyl over the permanent one?

Basically all the reasons Jerseygirl mentions - she summed it up nicely!

Old 11-03-2003, 08:24 AM
countrym
6th Gear
>>I've got a group buy going for plain white static decals (for those of us with white roofs who want to blend the sunroof in a bit more).

I didn't see plain white as an option on the Cooper Parts site, only USA or UJ. Are you getting the white ones from the same supplier? I might be interested in joining your plain white group buy, depending on what responses I get to this question.

Thanks for your response!

And, by the way, I'm from Jersey too - I grew up in Livingston. Jersey Rocks! :smile:

Old 11-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
>>I didn't see plain white as an option on the Cooper Parts site, only USA or UJ. Are you getting the white ones from the same supplier? I might be interested in joining your plain white group buy, depending on what responses I get to this question.
>>
>>Thanks for your response!
>>
>>And, by the way, I'm from Jersey too - I grew up in Livingston. Jersey Rocks! :smile:

Grew up in Wayne. Small world.

Anyway, the white decals I mentioned are going to be made for us at a local sign shop near my house. I contacted Cooper Parts originally and they seemed to have no interest in producing solid white decals, so I took things into my own hands. So far we've got 5 people signed up for the decals so if you want to join in you'll be in a pretty exclusive crowd!

You can find all the details of the group buy over in the marketplace:
White static flag Group-buy Details

The buy is open until Nov. 15th so you've got some time to think about it!

Old 11-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
We have the all white perforated sunroof covers - they are the same price as our other flags $149.00. The sunroof only application is a DIY and takes all of about 15 minutes out of the box. The full roof application is the one I recommend leaving up to the pros.

Matt@cooperflags.com

Old 11-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
I got the static vinyl flag and loved it, looked great and was cheap and easy to put on and take off. BUT, I lost it.... was driving from Nashville to New Orleans a couple weekends ago and it blew off on the interstate. I blame this on my installation, not the flag itself, but do keep in mind that there is nothing holding it on but static and the grace of god.....

Old 11-04-2003, 08:42 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I lost the front half of my vinyl flag on the highway in a rainstorm. The instructions said to make sure the roof is clean before applying it, so I put it on right after washing the car. In hindsight, I think I should have cleaned the sunroof with Windex to get the carwash residue off it first. I have another ready to go but I'm not putting it on until next July.

My plan is to use Windex, then install it with thin double-sided tape under both front edges (the scotch tape kind, not the foam tape kind).