Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner DIY

  #76  
Old 05-01-2016, 03:49 PM
daviday
daviday is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 129
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bratling View Post
That looks fantastic! What kind of fabric did you use and where did you get it? From that last pic it looks like something with a suede-like nap.
Thank you. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. The fabric is suede headliner from www.yourautotrim.com. I also bought the fabric with out the backing for the little box towards the rear of the car that houses the sensor.
 
  #77  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:28 AM
X757XVeritas
X757XVeritas is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 651
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Someone did a chop job of re covering the liner in my car before I got it. They cut the edges flat with the liner so it's starting to sag across the front, I think I'm gonna go a different route than you guys and pull all the fabric and foam off and then do a thin layer of fiberglass over the base headliner and paint it a matte colord. Maybe blue to match the seats and carpet. As soon as I install my underdrive pulley, and swap my struts, and a million other tiny things that are bugging me lol.
 
  #78  
Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 AM
daviday
daviday is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 129
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by X757XVeritas View Post
Someone did a chop job of re covering the liner in my car before I got it. They cut the edges flat with the liner so it's starting to sag across the front, I think I'm gonna go a different route than you guys and pull all the fabric and foam off and then do a thin layer of fiberglass over the base headliner and paint it a matte colord. Maybe blue to match the seats and carpet. As soon as I install my underdrive pulley, and swap my struts, and a million other tiny things that are bugging me lol.
That could be cool. I'm not very familiar with fiberglass but keep in mind that you have to bend the headliner to get back in. The limited amount of times I've worked with it - it became brittle after curing.
 
  #79  
Old 07-01-2016, 05:11 AM
X757XVeritas
X757XVeritas is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 651
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The right kind of glass in a thin layer will have a little bit of flex to it. Since it's not going to be structurally integral at all it won't need to be thick. And it won't ever sag or fade again.
 
  #80  
Old 12-03-2016, 02:38 PM
R6boater's Avatar
R6boater
R6boater is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my headliner today; allowing my not-so-inner nerd to show...




T.A.R.D.I.S. print fleece.
 
  #81  
Old 12-03-2016, 03:01 PM
daviday
daviday is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 129
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R6boater View Post
Did my headliner today; allowing my not-so-inner nerd to show...




T.A.R.D.I.S. print fleece.
Amazing. What'd you think of fitting it?
 
  #82  
Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 PM
R6boater's Avatar
R6boater
R6boater is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daviday View Post
Amazing. What'd you think of fitting it?
It wasn't bad at all. With the fabric being fleece was easy to work with. I had it laid out on a table in the garage with plenty of room to work around it. I'm tall so I was able to reach around it pretty well. Worked from front to back, had it rolled/folded and worked it down about 6-10 inches at a time.

I used the black metal "paper clips" to hold the edges down when I wrapped them over.

Biggest PIA was refitting the b-pillars.
 
  #83  
Old 12-04-2016, 09:46 AM
daviday
daviday is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 129
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R6boater View Post
It wasn't bad at all. With the fabric being fleece was easy to work with. I had it laid out on a table in the garage with plenty of room to work around it. I'm tall so I was able to reach around it pretty well. Worked from front to back, had it rolled/folded and worked it down about 6-10 inches at a time.

I used the black metal "paper clips" to hold the edges down when I wrapped them over.

Biggest PIA was refitting the b-pillars.
Great idea with the black clips. All the pillars are a bit of a pain IMO. You got it done though!
 
  #84  
Old 12-12-2016, 06:28 PM
asylum sound's Avatar
asylum sound
asylum sound is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charm City - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...while replacing the headliner....

I will be replacing the headliner in my '05 MCS this winter.

Two questions for those who have done this before:

- the headliner material at Joann's Fabric is a darker gray. What is the correct, light gray color headliner at yourautotrim.com? Platinum?

- while I have the headliner out, what other improvements or maintenance can I do? For example, is it worth spraying some sound proofing material inside the roof?

Thanks for any tips!
 
  #85  
Old 12-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Mini Mania's Avatar
Mini Mania
Mini Mania is online now
Vendor
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nevada City, Calif
Posts: 3,272
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Headliner

Looks great, Daviday! It provides a whole different perspective on traveling.
Would love to see the look on the faces of people sitting in the back seat for the first time.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.
 
__________________
Industry Leader in MINI Cooper and Classic Mini Parts and Accessories
Open M-F 6am-5pm PT | 800-946-2642 | MiniMania.com


  #86  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 AM
volki
volki is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 292
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so glad I found this DIY thread. The headliner on my 03 R53 is in bad shape. Although it looks to be a bit more involved than I would have liked, but I'm ready after seeing all the great outcomes here.

Just a few questions:
- Seems like 58'' x 108'' headliner fabric I found online would fit. Although I don't mind extras, is the width (58") going to leave enough extras for the sides. Do I need extras on the sides (to be folded)?
- I ordered a can of 3M 38808 Headliner and Fabric Adhesive (18.1 oz.). Given that my car has a sunroof, I assume I would not need a second can.
- Any suggestions for a metal brush to get rid of the old foam, or would anything with rigid bristles do?

Thanks!
 
  #87  
Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 PM
daviday
daviday is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 129
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by volki View Post
I'm so glad I found this DIY thread. The headliner on my 03 R53 is in bad shape. Although it looks to be a bit more involved than I would have liked, but I'm ready after seeing all the great outcomes here.

Just a few questions:
- Seems like 58'' x 108'' headliner fabric I found online would fit. Although I don't mind extras, is the width (58") going to leave enough extras for the sides. Do I need extras on the sides (to be folded)?
- I ordered a can of 3M 38808 Headliner and Fabric Adhesive (18.1 oz.). Given that my car has a sunroof, I assume I would not need a second can.
- Any suggestions for a metal brush to get rid of the old foam, or would anything with rigid bristles do?

Thanks!
I just looked back at what I ordered - exactly that. I would, however, get two cans of adhesive if you're ordering it. I don't have a sunroof and used every bit of two cans. Probably could of used a touch more to be honest. As for the brush - anything with rigid bristles will do.
Good luck - Take your time and post pics.
 
  #88  
Old 10-08-2017, 02:47 PM
volki
volki is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 292
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Phase I of the project is completed!

Everything went fine with the removal of the parts. Taking the headliner out was a bit scary because it tends to bend in the middle where there isn't much support between two sunroof holes + dome lamp.

Gotta come up with a plan to place the new headliner wrinkle free while working with those two big holes in the middle.

Will post more during and after the project is completed.


 
  #89  
Old 10-08-2017, 04:21 PM
RllyDrvrIX's Avatar
RllyDrvrIX
RllyDrvrIX is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 288
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congratulations!

Patience is rewarded!
 
  #90  
Old 02-17-2018, 07:06 PM
RedAggie03's Avatar
RedAggie03
RedAggie03 is offline
4th Gear
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 323
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts


Should I use some 3M adhesive remover to clean this mess up? It’s a nasty goo...
 
  #91  
Old 02-18-2018, 05:11 AM
daviday
daviday is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 129
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedAggie03 View Post


Should I use some 3M adhesive remover to clean this mess up? It’s a nasty goo...
No need! Just rub it with your hands til it comes off. I feel like adhesive remover may actually make more of a mess.
 
  #92  
Old 02-18-2018, 06:56 AM
SebZMonsteR's Avatar
SebZMonsteR
SebZMonsteR is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 106
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedAggie03 View Post
Should I use some 3M adhesive remover to clean this mess up? It’s a nasty goo...
I've used metal wire brushes & a metal wire broom (at different times for different cars) in the past to get the old padding and adhesive off & it worked great! You obviously don't want to be too harsh on it, but it works really well and quickly. Good luck!
 
  #93  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:24 PM
RedAggie03's Avatar
RedAggie03
RedAggie03 is offline
4th Gear
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 323
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts


I ended up using a knuckle brush which worked much better than a plastic scraper. Followed by acetone and a rag which worked VERY well in the final cleanup / prep process.

...a knuckle brush is something like this:

 
  #94  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM
SebZMonsteR's Avatar
SebZMonsteR
SebZMonsteR is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 106
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome!! Be sure to share a picture of it when you're all done
 
  #95  
Old 11-10-2018, 04:39 PM
shrevemini's Avatar
shrevemini
shrevemini is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Panama City Beach Florida
Posts: 212
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Will be doing this to my 04 mini I just purchased.
 
  #96  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 PM
shrevemini's Avatar
shrevemini
shrevemini is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Panama City Beach Florida
Posts: 212
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I did mine this past weekend. I found using a wide an small putty knives worked great to remove the yellowed old foam. Just rolls off. Then used a small brush for the area I could not reach. Came out awesome. Only issue I had was my left rear pillar panel broke one of the clip anchors off. So I had to order a replacement.
 
  #97  
Old 12-23-2018, 01:39 PM
shrevemini's Avatar
shrevemini
shrevemini is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Panama City Beach Florida
Posts: 212
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Completed headliner install.



 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
asmasm
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
10
08-18-2016 09:34 PM
jeri534
MINIs & Minis for Sale
5
11-06-2015 01:40 PM
M7Speed
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
0
10-01-2015 07:05 AM
whowantstorace
General MINI Talk
4
09-27-2015 06:16 PM
FatherG
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
5
09-27-2015 05:12 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headliner DIY


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.