Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior where to get replacement clear bulbs that ignite amber?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 04:20 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay, so i got new rear lenses...

so now I need new bulbs for the turn indicators. I'd like clear/chrome/whatever-colored bulbs that ignite amber, but don't show too much through the lens.. anyone know where to get a pair? also what's the wattage of them... 21?

Also, I want to replace the front amber turn indicators (ones under the headlights) to clear/chrome/whatever-colored that also ignite amber. Anyone know where to get these... hafid -- this one you can answer for us all, unless of course, someone beats you to it...

thanks in advance...

- wags

ps pedro v clemens in an epic duel.. go bo sox!

Old 10-16-2003, 05:39 PM
ARitz
1st Gear
Try powerbulbs.com...they ship quickly considering they are from europe and shipping is free. You are going to want to buy the Phillips Silver Vision bulbs found HERE. As far as i know the bulbs in the brake lights and front indicators are exactly the same, so just buy two sets :smile: . And to make things better, a purchase from this website gets you "whiter"(not yellowish anymore) sidelight lights, which are the ones right below the headlights...just a nice little added bonus:D .

Hope that helps,
Andrew

Old 10-16-2003, 06:01 PM
KerMini
3rd Gear
Their bulb fitment chart does not list MINI any where. Not under MINI nor BMW, in USA or REST OF WORLD. Got a cross ref'd bulb from another car? I want to do em all, including the side markers.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:48 AM
ARitz
1st Gear
The ones that i mentioned definitely fit (they are in my car at the moment :smile: ) even though they arent listed on the site. The bulbs that wags was looking for are pretty much universal. The side markers are W5W, are you looking for the chrome effect that lights up amber for those?

-Andrew

Old 10-17-2003, 11:29 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you guys know that you can actually spraypaint the OE amber bulbs with light enamel silver paint and it'll do the same? :smile:

Old 10-18-2003, 01:13 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
okay, i've been doing some research and seems that the Philips Silvervision:

and Osram Diadem:

are what's out there, and sold in europe, but available to us via online ordering.

I know of at least two places selling the Philips version.. http://www.powerbulbs.com and http://www.autolamps-online.com/home.htm , both of which offer free shipping.

now, as far as the MINI-specs go, the wattage and voltage and size are the same for the front turn indicators and the rears, with the exception of the base. the fronts fit exactly for the Philips model PY21W, as the base looks like this:

BUT

the rear turn indicators (and assuming the rest of the lights) do NOT have the offset nubs (don't know the technical name), but are at opposite sides of the base (180 degrees apart). so my question for you, Andrew, is how did they fit in for you? did you just sand away one of the nubs to allow it to fit, because as far as i can see they shouldn't easily screw in without some sort of manipulation. the fronts however, will fit just fine for those wanting to switch out those with the philips. I can't seem to get any more info on the Osram's, but I went ahead and ordered a pair to see what's up with them.

For those that have the all-clear lenses, did those come with the necessary bulbs? I'm guessing they did due to the lack of responses of this thread, knowing that many have the all-clears.

i'll post back when i get everything in.

- wags

Old 10-18-2003, 02:25 PM
ARitz
1st Gear
Sorry, i dont have them in my brake lamps yet, but i had heard they fit over on the other mini forum...

Old 10-18-2003, 02:39 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
>>Sorry, i dont have them in my brake lamps yet, but i had heard they fit over on the other mini forum...

so you lied to all of us?!? >>The ones that i mentioned definitely fit (they are in my car at the moment)

yeah in reading over there, i think someone just took off one of the nubs to make it still fit.. i went to advanced auto parts and bought amber bulbs and switched my rear lenses to the ones up top of the thread. so now i'm just waiting for my new bulbs i ordered through powerbulbs.com to see if i can get them to fit alright.

- wags

Old 10-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
i have the lights in my car. in the front and back.
i also have the same tail lights.. nice choice btw.
i knocked off one of the nubbies and it fits great.
post some pictures of your car with the tail lights!

Old 10-19-2003, 04:53 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
>>i have the lights in my car. in the front and back.
>>i also have the same tail lights.. nice choice btw.
>>i knocked off one of the nubbies and it fits great.
>>post some pictures of your car with the tail lights!

yeah that's what i'llprobably end up doing.. but stupid me didn't order two sets, since i didn't know if just taking the nub off would work.. so i ended up getting the orsam set.. maybe that will fit, anyone seen these? and if i get to order again, i'll get another free pair of Philips Blue Vision Sidelights

i went ahead and put in the new lenses and just put in a pair of $3 amber bulbs til i get the silvervisions.

I'll post before and after pics of the amber v. silver bulbs to show them...

- wags

Old 10-19-2003, 06:36 PM
KerMini
3rd Gear
I don't want amber bulbs in the taillights. Where can I find similar bulbs, (silver coating) that ignite red?

Old 10-23-2003, 05:58 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear

well i got my bulbs in and i guess i did order two sets because i got two sets.. anyway they don't TOTALLY make the orange disappear in the front markers, but do look noticeably better.

I also installed the two free bluevision bulbs that go directly next to the amber makers... these actually look better when lit, but funny that they're actually blue and now THOSE show up through the clear lens. but i'll probably just end up keeping them in.

so i said i'd post before and after, but my dad didn't bring the camera home from work, and i'm going out of town for the weekend, so i just switched them... but next week i'll post some pics.. even though it doesn't look like this thread became too popular..

- wags

Old 10-23-2003, 06:02 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
>>I don't want amber bulbs in the taillights. Where can I find similar bulbs, (silver coating) that ignite red?

oh yeah, i meant to say also that i saw some of these selling on ebay, but it was hard to see the model numbers and such to see if they'd fit.. anyway, here's the link to all of them, hope this link will stay active...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=silver+vision

- wags

Old 10-23-2003, 07:10 PM
KerMini
3rd Gear
Thanks, just like the powerbulb site there was no fitment for MINI's. I emailed the guy on eBay and powerbulb to see about Red igniting bulbs. Can I get the numbers on the Amber bulbs? Front and side? Thanks again.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:00 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
>>Thanks, just like the powerbulb site there was no fitment for MINI's. I emailed the guy on eBay and powerbulb to see about Red igniting bulbs. Can I get the numbers on the Amber bulbs? Front and side? Thanks again.

what's funny is although there's nothing on the site saying they'll fit the MINI, theres a yellow cooper on the packaging..

and the ones on powerbulbs.com (Philips Silver Vision PW21W with base, BAU15,s) will fit as is for the FRONT MARKERS, not the back, but CAN be made to fit. to fit the rears you need to file off a nub (see my above post with pics). the nubs only hold it in place and with just one it's pretty secure

the standard top two rear bulbs are clear, 21watts, 12vots, made by philips but have their nubs 180 degrees apart versus the ones in the above pic.

- wags

ps oh yeah, and i'm not sure which side bulbs you want.. i think they're both standard 5W5 bulbs. the ones i have with that came with the clear side markers are amber, and i'm not sure if they make those to be silver but ignite amber.. theyt don't really seem to show through amber too bad to bother getting switched.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:59 PM
KerMini
3rd Gear
Ken at kwimports suggested I get him numbers from the OEM bulbs and he will try and cross ref them. The Sylvania catalog doesn't include MINI specs yet. Here's his reply to my email:

Greetings,

Would love to help ya, but the Sylvania fitment guide doesn't yet have the sizes available. Could you check the owner's manual and let us know what sizes you need and we'll go from there. Also, what size headlight bulbs do you use? We have Philips HID conversion kits as well.

Thanks,

Ken~ http://www.kwimports.com

Old 10-23-2003, 10:03 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
the bulbs say: P21W12498PHILIPS12V21W then it has an E1 in a cirlce then 2CH FRANCE A 3 1

but i don't think that's really important.. the voltage, wattage, and nubbage, however, is

- wags

Old 10-27-2003, 08:54 AM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
okay here's som pics in case anyone is still interested..

here are the regular amber bulbs:

and with SilverVision:

another angle, as sometimes angle matters with respect to how amber they appear:

and here is a more realistic angle:

and finally a comparison of the two:

like i said, they don't 100% take away the amber, but oh well.. look nice

- wags

ps oh yeah here are the new lenses that started this whole thread:

Old 10-28-2003, 01:27 PM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
Wags,

I think I've seen your car here in VA beach at some point... I drive an EB/W MCS with the plate that says "NAUGHTY" on it... Hope to see you around, maybe on the 15th for the Hampton Roads Drive?

Ben