Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior CF moonroof replacement panel interest

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tüls
Yes I am a HOMO

HOMO:
the genus of bipedal primates that includes modern humans and several extinct forms, distinguished by their large brains and a dependence upon tools.

I know there's allot of big works there. If you need translation of that too lemme know. I know you are not part of the large brain genus

Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Yes I am a HOMO

HOMO:
the genus of bipedal primates that includes modern humans and several extinct forms, distinguished by their large brains and a dependence upon tools.

I know there's allot of big works there. If you need translation of that too lemme know. I know you are not part of the large brain genus
One of the guys at work (which looks like he could be your twin) said the HOMO reference....I thought it was funny and thought of you..

Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I have mentioned in the past. I am already making a functioning replacement for the front and a replacement for the back. This will be an EASY bolt in swap for the front. But a bit more labor intensive for the back. Price? I have no idea yet. It is still in the creation stages and it will have to be tested etc etc.

UKSUV's plug will be nice for those who dont care about the function. Which is a great solution as well.

Mine is more show AND go. As always from my brain or *** but who knows at this point.

As there is progress I'll post pics.
looking forward to this functional replacement

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_macky
looking forward to this functional replacement
+1 could be interesting, especially if it's "do it yourself".

Old 04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
The Front panel is definitely DIY. As for the rear... I'll know more when its time to mess with it But one step at a time

Old 04-14-2009, 05:28 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
The Front panel is definitely DIY. As for the rear... I'll know more when its time to mess with it But one step at a time
The front MAY be a DIY....but the rear is not. You have to cut the glass for one....and 99% of the people on this board dont have the nuggets to do so.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
you do not have to cut the GLASS. You have to cut what it is sealed to. IE the frame. der. I will post up when I do it.

Just stop talking ok?

You can do your plug. Leave the real mods to the pros

Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
you do not have to cut the GLASS. You have to cut what it is sealed to. IE the frame. der. I will post up when I do it.

Just stop talking ok?

You can do your plug. Leave the real mods to the pros
I'm assuming you guy's are actually friends Actually I wouldn't mine just replacing the front glass only, do you think the pieces will be available seperatly?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
haha n00b

Functional CF glass replacements would be sick if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
I'm assuming you guy's are actually friends Actually I wouldn't mine just replacing the front glass only, do you think the pieces will be available seperatly?
It's just how I talk to that boy.

yeah I plan to make it stock replacment. So front and/or rear. The front glass alone helps save allot of weight. The car rotates different too (better) due to the weight loss.

UKSUV's plug is great for super hard core. Will no doubt save more weight.

but there are many like me who want to retain the sun roof. I'm doing it either way. If Im the only one. Or one of many. I dont care.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
.....snip....... but there are many like me who want to retain the sun roof. I'm doing it either way. If Im the only one. Or one of many. I dont care.
I'm also one that would like to keep the sunroof functional. Losing the 40+lbs would be f'n great. When you comin' down south again?

Last edited by thatatvguy; 04-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:31 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're only going to lose 50+ lbs if you remove the motor, in which case the roof will no longer be functional. You're not going to be shedding much weight going from glass to CF. Some for sure, but I doubt it'll be noticeable from a performance standpoint. The reasons to do it are for aesthetics or for a functional roof that completely blocks out light. Weight savings will be minimal. For serious weight loss, you're better off removing the whole thing and putting in the plug.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
Indeed. My wonderful fingers hit the 5 instead of the 4. Post corrected.

Nonetheless, the heavy glass is what I was referring to.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by cct1
You're only going to lose 50+ lbs if you remove the motor, in which case the roof will no longer be functional. You're not going to be shedding much weight going from glass to CF. Some for sure, but I doubt it'll be noticeable from a performance standpoint. The reasons to do it are for aesthetics or for a functional roof that completely blocks out light. Weight savings will be minimal. For serious weight loss, you're better off removing the whole thing and putting in the plug.
I think you need to re-read this quote, these guy's have actually weighed this stuff. Yea, removing just the glass you will not get the full weight savings, but you will get a MAJOR portion of it

Originally Posted by maxmini
The entire sunroof cassette system weighs 55 lbs including the glass. The glass is a major part of the unit as the track etc. is mostly aluminum.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM
cct1
6th Gear
The glass weighs a purported 39 pounds, the entire assembly 53 pounds (remember, you're going to be adding some of that weight back with CF). Performance gains are going to be imperceptible to the overwhelming majority of folks. It's more aesthetics than anything else. This coming from people who race their MINI's...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The glass weighs a purported 39 pounds, the entire assembly 53 pounds (remember, you're going to be adding some of that weight back with CF). Performance gains are going to be imperceptible to the overwhelming majority of folks. It's more aesthetics than anything else. This coming from people who race their MINI's...
I don't think you are going to feel as if you are driving an Elise all of a sudden but 39 lbs out of the WORST possible location on the car has to be a good thing to some degree . I would think that it would at least equal a full cf hood and hatch with regards to better handling at far less of a price . In any event both of these solutions are of interest.

Randy
M7 Tuning

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (03-16-2021)
Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
39lbs is huge, as Randy has said "WORST possible location on the car". I mean there are guy's buying R56 rear trailing arms to save 12lbs at over $750. just for the parts

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
39lbs is huge, as Randy has said "WORST possible location on the car". I mean there are guy's buying R56 rear trailing arms to save 12lbs at over $750. just for the parts
Wow 39lb's . I can shave some serious time off my commute .

Seriously though Tuls idea sounds great by making it functional. I bought the SR for cruising PCH and I love it.

If your willing to do this to lighten the car then you've already mapped out the rest of your weight loose project. Because 39lb's is nothing on it's own in terms of performance.

I on the other hand like the I idea for pure bling and the 39 lb's is just a cool beny. Can't wait to see how this progresses.

LB

Last edited by Longboard Mini; 04-16-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Becouse
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
good thing we test things out before we talk about them. It does change things.

I think you need to re-read this quote, these guy's have actually weighed this stuff. Yea, removing just the glass you will not get the full weight savings, but you will get a MAJOR portion of it
thank you...

We still arent bench racing. We test. I dont know why I say WE persay.. but my point is I can assure you I am not going to sell this as a performance mod. I will talk about the benifits of it beyond sex appeal. But in no way am I doing this as "SHAVE SECONDS OFF YOUR TIME IN AUTO X! IF YOU BUY NOW, WE ARE THROWING IN A SHAMWOW AT NO EXTRA COST!!!!!!"

Originally Posted by maxmini
I don't think you are going to feel as if you are driving an Elise all of a sudden but 39 lbs out of the WORST possible location on the car has to be a good thing to some degree . I would think that it would at least equal a full cf hood and hatch with regards to better handling at far less of a price . In any event both of these solutions are of interest.

Randy
M7 Tuning
Thank you randy!

Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Wow 39lb's . I can shave some serious time off my commute .

Seriously though Tuls idea sounds great by making it functional. I bought the SR for cruising PCH and I love it.

If your willing to do this to lighten the car then you've already mapped out the rest of your weight loose project. Because 39lb's is nothing on it's own in terms of performance.

I on the other hand like the idea for pure bling and the 39 lb's is just a cool beny. Can't wait to see how this progresses.

LB
Haha yeah. See people talk about 39 not being allot. but it is.. and when you add it to 5 other things you did.. it gets more and more... next thing you know you ahve saved 200 or more.

Again. Im doing it either way. We have tested the benifits. You notice it allot on the auto x course. But I dont really care about that. It saves some weight. Looks hot. And is functional.

Check please!

Last edited by Tüls; 04-16-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 AM
cct1
6th Gear
No need to get so defensive--I'm not slamming the mod, it'll have it's place, may even consider it myself someday--but as a weight saving measure in and of itself, without other measures taken, it's not going to be that big of a deal from a performance standpoint--that was my point, as I think some here are a bit overly optimistic about how noticeable the difference will be as a standalone (not directed at you Tuls, I think you're being realistic). As a nice looking alternative that's lighter and blocks the sun out, yeah, it works, and it'll have a market. And as a piece of the weight reduction puzzle (but not an end all), it also makes sense. I stand by that...

On the other hand, if you're looking at weight savings as an entire package--ie carpet, liners, etc. then you could make the arguement to take the whole thing out...

My only fear with this thing is the inevitable "I took out my sunroof and replaced it with carbon fiber, and now I'm blowing by GT-R's and Vipers at the track like they're parked" posts...

Last edited by cct1; 04-16-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear

Haha yeah. See people talk about 39 not being allot. but it is.. and when you add it to 5 other things you did.. it gets more and more... next thing you know you ahve saved 200 or more.

Again. Im doing it either way. We have tested the benifits. You notice it allot on the auto x course. But I dont really care about that. It saves some weight. Looks hot. And is functional.

Check please!
That's why I like it.

You better do it. I assume both sides will be finished .

LB

Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
No need to get so defensive--I'm not slamming the mod, it'll have it's place, may even consider it myself someday--but as a weight saving measure in and of itself, without other measures taken, it's not going to be that big of a deal from a performance standpoint--that was my point, as I think some here are a bit overly optimistic about how noticeable the difference will be as a standalone (not directed at you Tuls, I think you're being realistic). As a nice looking alternative that's lighter and blocks the sun out, yeah, it works, and it'll have a market. And as a piece of the weight reduction puzzle (but not an end all), it also makes sense. I stand by that...

On the other hand, if you're looking at weight savings as an entire package--ie carpet, liners, etc. then you could make the arguement to take the whole thing out...

My only fear with this thing is the inevitable "I took out my sunroof and replaced it with carbon fiber, and now I'm blowing by GT-R's and Vipers at the track like they're parked" posts...
haha you mean I wont be blowing by GT-Rs?

Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
That's why I like it.

You better do it. I assume both sides will be finished .

LB
yeah both sides.

Oh im doin it. The molds are done... just waiting on some other things.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
This alone will not be a major difference in performance due to weight reduction...but it is very attractive because it is a piece of weight reduction that IMO doesn't detract from the cars daily driving abilities.

My car for example as lost weight in these areas:

Flywheel: -15
Rear seat delete: -31
Exhaust: -21

And will continue with:

Battery: -20
Wheels: -28
R56 trailing arms: -12

thats -127lbs! minus another 30 for this piece and its over -150lbs off the car AND IT STILL LOOKS "STOCK". It still has A/C, carpet, interior plastics, stock heated seats, emissions equipment, airbags, and the ability to return to stock rather quickly for eventual sale. A complete drop in, while it will save more weight, is only for the race car and not the track enthusiast.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
I hope it will also help in the rattling problem My sunroof rattles like crazy

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior CF moonroof replacement panel interest