Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior CF moonroof replacement panel interest

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CF moonroof replacement panel interest

Ok....first off all I need to know is the interest and who would throw down on this. Just FYI....I am already having one made regardless but want to see if there is interest because my coworkers might produce these. Also, I am having aft side windows made in CF (which will only be a one off I think). Depends if there is interest in that too. One other thing is they said they would start making roof caps too....So here is your chance if you want to jump on this.....

Details: the moonroof for now. It will be one piece. You can cut it in two if you want at a later date. It will be secured down with screws that fasten to a click-bond (stud). Basically you will have to find a way to secure and seal it.

This product was only intended for me but if others are interested. The CF and material is aircraft-grade. No automotive crap. So you get what you pay for. I think they said it was 2x2 weave.

So...write down out of the parts I listed what you would definitely. Keep in mind....price might be high...might not be too bad...

They said they will produce other parts down the road but they want to try it out on my car first. The first moonroof panel should be down in a week since they will have my car starting Thurs or Fri. They said it should only take a few days to allow the CF to cure and then they can start securing it

Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to pics.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
I will post them all up once we fit everything and i will do process pics

Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
hell yeah ****!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by UKSUV
I will post them all up once we fit everything and i will do process pics
Hey...did you check with Carbonized? I think he already made one for himself...still would like one myself...

Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
subscribed

when you said that you can cut it up into 2 pieces, meaning you can just replace the 2 glass parts?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Chase
4th Gear
i am interested in the moonroof.

keep us updated

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_macky
subscribed

when you said that you can cut it up into 2 pieces, meaning you can just replace the 2 glass parts?
You can do whatever you want to the panel after you purchase it.. I am giving you the tools for you to build your castle. But, if you just want to replace just the glass it wont work. For a few reasons....1-the thickness would need to be different and 2-the glass is smaller diameter than the overall replacement. Not saying that it cant be done. But YOU would have to modify it.

When I said that you can cut it into 2 pieces...I meant just that. The track is GONE for this application. But if you cut it in 2...you can decide which panel you want to take off instead of one big panel.

Last edited by UKSUV; 04-09-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Hey...did you check with Carbonized? I think he already made one for himself...still would like one myself...

No...I have seen the post in the forum but never read anything about what he has done. Im sure my setup will be different because of materials used.

Last edited by UKSUV; 04-09-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldnt you be at work, wiring those fuselages?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
Shouldnt you be at work, wiring those fuselages?
Yea....it was my break. TACAN and GPS was being a PITA so I had to step back and regroup my thoughts here.... Hey....I just saw you called. I passed out at 4 when I got home to catch up on some sleep....

Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 AM
carbonized
3rd Gear
Im sure my setup will be different because of materials used.
I don't know about that!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
As I have mentioned in the past. I am already making a functioning replacement for the front and a replacement for the back. This will be an EASY bolt in swap for the front. But a bit more labor intensive for the back. Price? I have no idea yet. It is still in the creation stages and it will have to be tested etc etc.

UKSUV's plug will be nice for those who dont care about the function. Which is a great solution as well.

Mine is more show AND go. As always from my brain or *** but who knows at this point.

As there is progress I'll post pics.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like this concept, I still can open up for air. lighter up top and completely blocks out the sun so it would be cooler in the summer.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Chase
4th Gear
I cant wait. All i want is a plug that will replace the entire sunroof application like you are doing. It will raise the roof line too.
I actually dont care if its even carbon fiber

Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Ha...show me...I know where you work...
Originally Posted by Tüls
As I have mentioned in the past. I am already making a functioning replacement for the front and a replacement for the back. This will be an EASY bolt in swap for the front. But a bit more labor intensive for the back. Price? I have no idea yet. It is still in the creation stages and it will have to be tested etc etc.

UKSUV's plug will be nice for those who dont care about the function. Which is a great solution as well.

Mine is more show AND go. As always from my brain or *** but who knows at this point.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear

Whats the point of making the glass out of CF? You still have 70lbs of moon roof track to deal with. Thats pretty gay. So gay. Might as well put CF door handle caps on too....Mr. Bling Master....

Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Whats the point of making the glass out of CF? You still have 70lbs of moon roof track to deal with. Thats pretty gay. So gay. Might as well put CF door handle caps on too....Mr. Bling Master....
The entire sunroof cassette system weighs 55 lbs including the glass. The glass is a major part of the unit as the track etc. is mostly aluminum.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
//MZero
4th Gear

I would be interested in something like this...fiberglass even more so as it is cheaper and I would paint anyway. Assuming it drops 25lbs+ which I don't see why it couldn't.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
you are such a tard.. really... so quick to always make comments. the glass weighs how much? have you weighed it? I have. I'll be shaving more than what you just rattled off cause you dont actually know what you are talking about.

you are not even half ***. you are a quarter ***.

I still love you though. I know you are just mad cause you are still trying to be me but just cant keep up.

Originally Posted by maxmini
The entire sunroof cassette system weighs 55 lbs including the glass. The glass is a major part of the unit as the track etc. is mostly aluminum.

Randy
M7 Tuning
thank you randy. Glad someone knows what the heck is going on.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
chuckt
4th Gear
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by carbonized
Sun roof has been deleted . I did a lot of thinking before getting into it, and yet, had a lot of unanswered questions until seeing what's under the head liner. Thanks to NAMers I got the interior off without braking anything,(some clips where already broken from the factory. replaced them.)

Here is the beast all naked.

The beast out of the car, all 56.4 lbs (25.38 kg) of it.

Next I took a deep breath, 'cause I'm about to hack into the structural part of my car and it's the point of no return! Heck, no guts, no glory.So here is another 6.6 lbs (3 kg) off the car.

In goes the carbon/nomex insert with the help of "Mister Bostik"

Then the B pillar bridge (High modulus carbon UD, carbon/kevlar, foam core). All in all Insert, bridge,adhesive,means 8.56 lbs (3.82 kg) goes back in. Then the interior goes home, and....

...we are done!
Outside

Inside

In the end 54.44 lbs (24.45 kg) left the car Ho! by the way since the interior was off, the rear seat belts and seat latchs (left after R.S.D) came off too,thats another 5.94 lbs (2.69 kg).

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (03-16-2021)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
you are such a tard.. really... so quick to always make comments. the glass weighs how much? have you weighed it? I have. I'll be shaving more than what you just rattled off cause you dont actually know what you are talking about.

you are not even half ***. you are a quarter ***.

I still love you though. I know you are just mad cause you are still trying to be me but just cant keep up.

thank you randy. Glad someone knows what the heck is going on.
At least Im not part of the High Output Mini Owners club like some....

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (03-16-2021)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
Well that is pretty much what we had in mind...

Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Yes I am a HOMO

HOMO:
the genus of bipedal primates that includes modern humans and several extinct forms, distinguished by their large brains and a dependence upon tools.

I know there's allot of big works there. If you need translation of that too lemme know. I know you are not part of the large brain genus

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior CF moonroof replacement panel interest