Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Help - Static Cling Vinal Flags for Sunroof - Where are they

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 07:58 AM
cosquilla
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These flags are reasonably priced - about $55-60. The only add-on dealer I have found is minicooperparts.com (cooperaccessories.com), and they offer only two designs - UK and American Flags. Anyone seen other designs? Where bought?

My cooper ( ready to sail from Southampton is jet black/wht roof with the sunroof. Want the black/white checkerboard cover real bad.

Thanks for any info. Also, I am in process of emailing dealer, above.

John

MC, jet blk/wht roof, blk leatherette sport seats, grey interior, antracite trim-dash, 15" 8-spoke wh, prem combo, chrome bumper inserts & license frame, front fogs.

Old 09-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I haven't seen any static cling flag designs other than the American flag and UJ. You might be out of luck.

You might try looking around on Ebay and see if there's anything over there but I haven't seen anything like you described.

I picked up an American flag static flag from Ebay last week for much less than Mini Cooper Parts is selling them for.

Good luck! :smile:

Old 09-20-2003, 08:15 PM
cosquilla
1st Gear
Thanks, Robyn. I will try eBay, as you suggest. Let me add another thought - your blue dash with that neat little blue car is truely awesome!!

Happy miles and lots of smiles,

John :smile:

Old 09-25-2003, 05:31 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Robyn:
Where did you get your racing stripe, and did you install it yourself?

Old 09-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I got my stripe from Cooper Flags and installed it myself. Not too hard at all. Just required a bit of patience up toward the front of the bonnet.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:04 AM
CoopingInDC
3rd Gear
>>I got my stripe from Cooper Flags and installed it myself. Not too hard at all. Just required a bit of patience up toward the front of the bonnet.

And the car looks DAMN good
:smile:

Danny

Old 09-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
>>And the car looks DAMN good
>> :smile:

Awww, thanks! I'll pass the compliment on to Nittany.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:11 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
>>I got my stripe from Cooper Flags and installed it myself. Not too hard at all. Just required a bit of patience up toward the front of the bonnet.

It does look very cool. What do you think of those clear bra products from 3M etc? worth the effort to protect the bonnet? I'm also thinking of covering the sunroof with white to match the white top.
Hehe, i'm talking like i actually own a car when i haven't yet sent in my order. Still picking specs.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
>>It does look very cool. What do you think of those clear bra products from 3M etc? worth the effort to protect the bonnet? I'm also thinking of covering the sunroof with white to match the white top.

Speaking as someone who's other car is sitting in the garage with the front end loaded with stone chips out the wazoo, I'm a big fan of the clear bras. I installed one (myself) on the hood, bumper, door pillars, roof edge, mirrors, and rear bumper of the MINI. It exceeded my expectations as far as being hard to see once installed. Now I can happily drive along with no fear of my little car ending up looking like my poor M3.

I too would love to get a white sunroof cover but I'm hoping to be able to find one some day of the static cling variety. That way I can switch between my US flag and the white depending on my mood.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:51 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear

>>I too would love to get a white sunroof cover but I'm hoping to be able to find one some day of the static cling variety. That way I can switch between my US flag and the white depending on my mood.

Well, if you find a vendor for the static cling white decals for the sunroof, please let me know!!
I installed the 3M Bodygard on my CRV and it doeas a great job. It's nice to know it suits the MINI as well. Did you install it over the stripe or under? Also, what brand or kit of bra did you use, please?
Thanks for the help!

Old 09-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
>>Well, if you find a vendor for the static cling white decals for the sunroof, please let me know!!

I will definitely let you know. I'm actually going to talk to someone about it today.

I installed the bra over the stripe. It just seemed to give a cleaner appearance. The stripe over the bra left a very visible crease where the stripe passed from the bra to the bonnet (I tested a small piece first).

I used the Xpel kit initially, though having never done this before I messed up the bumper piece. I ended up replacing that with the Invinca-Shield bumper kit which was much less expensive and easier to apply. It actually covered more of the lower bumper than the Xpel kit (especially around the fog lights) and while it comes in more pieces (more seams), I don't really notice the seams at all. I'd probably still stick with the Xpel kit for the bonnet as it covers further back than the Invinca-Shield. AND Invinca-Shield offers additional pieces (roof, door pillars, rear bumper) that Xpel does not. I'd probably recommend a mix of the two brands to anyone that was doing it

Xpel: Hood kit
Invinca-Shield: Front bumper kit and any additional pieces you might want

Auto Clear Guard carries both, and Ryan was extremely helpful in helping to walk me through how to install everything. He calmed me down a couple times when I was sure I had totally messed up when I ended up with some little bubbles under the material. I've now done my MINI and my boyfriend's new Jetta wagon.