Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R56 rear wiper delete - tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Pedro99
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 rear wiper delete - tips?

I would like to remove my rear wiper.
Just wonderin' if anyone has done this on a gen 2 mc.(2008)
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-05-2008, 06:27 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
This is for the 1st Gen. However I would think it's about the same.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r+Wiper+Delete

Old 10-05-2008, 07:12 AM
redR56
1st Gear
There's mention of an R56 in that thread.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:10 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Pedro99
I would like to remove my rear wiper.
Why?

Old 10-05-2008, 05:02 PM
bsnyder100
2nd Gear
Ya, why??

Old 10-05-2008, 05:13 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, why?

Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1 1/8" plastic plug from Lowe's or Home Depot will work or you can have a tailgater sprayer setup.If you want fancy here's another idea.https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=128757

Old 10-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Because it cleans up the look of the rear end of the car. I'd guess that if you have to ask, you won't get it.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Because it cleans up the look of the rear end of the car. I'd guess that if you have to ask, you won't get it.
x2

Looks a million times better than having the wiper installed. Clean look will always look better than the alternatives. It's not like the rear wiper works well in bad conditions anyways

For the OP. It's a pretty straight forward mod. My only recommendation is to take it slow and just be patient with pulling the wiper off. It's really not complicated.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine works great, that rear end seems to just suck up road spray and dirt that the wiper can clean off. Of course I agree the whole car would look so much "cleaner" with out the wiper arm. Oh well, post some pictures when you're done removing it!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:50 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Mine works great, that rear end seems to just suck up road spray and dirt that the wiper can clean off. Of course I agree the whole car would look so much "cleaner" with out the wiper arm. Oh well, post some pictures when you're done removing it!
That's what I was thinking.... I got the point of why the OP wants to remove the rear wiper but as cool as it looks, I'd hate to remove the usefulness of it.

It works great but I do like the clean look.... decisions, decisions...

Mark

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
I'd guess that if you have to ask, you won't get it.
Must be, I prefer to be able to see out of the back.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:55 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
Mini's

Originally Posted by Btwyx
Must be, I prefer to be able to see out of the back.
I can understand removing the washer blade , for a nice simple clean asthetic look.

As far as seeing out the back , do not all mini's get washed and waxed once every 2 weeks if they need it or not !

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hubs
As far as seeing out the back , do not all mini's get washed and waxed once every 2 weeks if they need it or not !
Ours do, but they usually need it.

However, if it ever does rain here, I still like to be able to see out of the back. A rear wiper is a basic safety feature I'm not going to do without. My first car didn't, the rest have.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

However, if it ever does rain here, I still like to be able to see out of the back. A rear wiper is a basic safety feature I'm not going to do without. My first car didn't, the rest have.
I shaved my rear wiper and I can still see out the back just fine under any weather condition I've ever encountered.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Rain-x.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear

Being in Vancouver, we have a long rainy season, puncuated by sleet and the occasional snowfall. I couldn't imagine being without a rear wiper. But I suppose you folks South of the 49th do see a lot less precipitation, so maybe it makes sense for you................

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by myminirox
Being in Vancouver, we have a long rainy season, puncuated by sleet and the occasional snowfall. I couldn't imagine being without a rear wiper. But I suppose you folks South of the 49th do see a lot less precipitation, so maybe it makes sense for you................
Yah....I'm from Northern Ohio. The majority of the winter is heavy snowfall, and the spring is about as wet as it gets. It still never harms visibility without the wiper.

In snow, you've gotta scrape your windshield and rear window before driving anyways. The rear window is also heated.....flick on the heater and any snow will drip off within 15 seconds and won't accumulate again.

Rain is just water....it'll drip off the rear window, it's translucent, and you can still make out any traffic that's behind you without any problems.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Rain is just water....it'll drip off the rear window, it's translucent, and you can still make out any traffic that's behind you without any problems.
The rain, roads and puddles in Ohio must be very pure and clean. Do you find that you need to wash your car after it's rained on, or can you proceed straight to wax?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by myminirox
The rain, roads and puddles in Ohio must be very pure and clean. Do you find that you need to wash your car after it's rained on, or can you proceed straight to wax?
Obviously the rear window gets dirty......but it's never so dirty that you can't see out of it. It's not like you need the rear window to be so clear that you can check out the drivers fine moustache behind you. At most you need to make sure that the lane is clear for changing lanes or merging or that someone isn't standing behind your car in the parking lot. You'd have to do some CRAZY off-roading to get the rear window dirty enough that you couldn't see whether there was a car in the lane behind your or not.

If anything, I found that when the window had become extremely dirty/dusty/grimey/salty, the wiper was actually WORSE for visibility. Rather than remove the dirt, it would just smear it all over making it much harder to see out of. Even before shaving the wiper, when I saw that the rear had become dirty during a storm, I would refrain from pressing the rear wiper to avoid the smearing.

If you drive on roads where your rear window gets dirty enough to become completely opaque......yes, you should keep the ugly rear wiper Otherwise, it's just a few drops of water. You can still see all of the cars behind you.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Pedro99
2nd Gear
SUCCESS!
Thanks for the links...seems like no matter how I use that search function..I still miss some threads.

Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
It's a pretty straight forward mod. My only recommendation is to take it slow and just be patient with pulling the wiper off. It's really not complicated.
Above pretty much sums it up.
As a NOVICE I also found removing the tailgate trim challenging.

I would like to THANK this board for being here and for all the kind posters willing to share info. With all the many opinions and pov's it's really a treat to have access!

Attached Thumbnails R56 rear wiper delete - tips?-road-trip-sept.-2008-079.jpg   R56 rear wiper delete - tips?-mini-san-rear-wiper-002.jpg  

Last edited by Pedro99; 10-08-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:24 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I don't get it either. It rains a lot where I live and I use the rear wiper when it does. Not having it as shown in the pictures does not make the car look any better to me.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I guess I don't get it either. It rains a lot where I live and I use the rear wiper when it does. Not having it as shown in the pictures does not make the car look any better to me.
As long as the OP prefers it, why does it matter how it looks to the rest of us?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Then perhaps you're glasses are dirty....

I personally would rather have the usefulness (to me) of my rear wiper but I CAN DEFINITELY see the enhanced beauty of removing the rear wiper.

Looks great.... and if you live in a place that doesn't get a lot of rain, I think it's a great idea.

Mark

Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 PM
postlapsaria
3rd Gear
Maybe it's just my MINI...but I don't have a garage, and on most mornings, my MINI is covered in dew, way more than other cars that are around. I'm not sure why...but the rear wiper helps most mornings. Other than that, I could live without it. I think the clean look looks really nice.

Has anyone shaved 'Cooper' or 'Cooper S' off? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior R56 rear wiper delete - tips?