Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Nice going PU, but there is a problem here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To anybody complaining - have you emailed Internet Brands yet? If not, get to it!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow -- gone for 2 days, and there's plenty to catch up on.

Am I one of the few that see this as a dangerous area for NAM to step into?
i think a dangerous area for NAM to step into would be to require that Mark do "simple tax research" to verify the truth of vendor claims. Great -- so now when someone gets misled by some vendor they can turn to Mark and say he contributed by authorizing or silently acquiesing to incorrect tax advice.

Having said that -- there is no question that, in my opinion, PU relies on fraud to do business.
As someone noted fraud requires intent -- but legal intent can merely be a reckless disregard for the truth (i.e. giving someone tax advice you pulled out of your . . . boot).
Additionally, trademark law (federal and state) expressly prohibits misleading misrepresentations as to the geographic source of the product (part of the reason you can't label a product as "Made in USA" when it's made in China) -- is there any doubt that PU is in the business of representing that their product is manufactured in England?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
So damn the new member that hasn't done any research (because he doesn't think he needs to because it is a NAM approved vendor) and he then finds out after wards that he has been deceived by said vendor. NAM doesn't have some responsibility for this?

No, but that new user would be pissed and rightly so if they learned that the vendor in question had a history of pulling questionable crap and that NAM profited off them for years via ad sales. Oh yeah, and facilitated the bad business via banner ads that pop up over and over and over.

I keep coming back to the question:

If these practices were being perpatrated by a NON-PAYING FORUM MEMBER would they be tolerated? Would the site moderators just say "Sorry, but we can't police the members?"

Of course they wouldn't - I know they wouldn't, because when I was new and posted up a few threads asking about making custom shirts, the admins deleted the threads in about 10 minutes and told me that they'd take more drastic steps if I didn't enter into an advertising agreement with them. They claimed that they policed members selling stuff this way to keep the qiality of items sold in NAM high. Hmmmm... Seeing as how I was looking to sell a few dozen shirts, tops, at about $2 profit, it didn't make sense to pay the ad fees, so I desisted as per instructions.

If a non-paying member tried what PU doees every day, the admins would ban the questionable member in a heartbeat. It still seems to me that the factthat PU pays their advertiser dues is giving them special status in this issue.

Sorry to say it, but I guess money talks and BS walks... I calls 'em like I sees 'em. That's dissapointing for a site that claims to be in existance to serve the community. It's just my perception of course, but since I have no data to deny it... (sigh).

PS - I did write the "Corporate Masters" - I'll post my email if you want. So far I've got NO response, not even an auto-confirm that they got it.

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-17-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find it funny...

that the last time I read any posts here, I get the PU banner add up top!

Some things are just ironic.

Matt

Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ Did you buy anything?

Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
JCWGrover
4th Gear
Perhaps a simple inquiry to the IRS with PU's "charity" scheme, and contact info, would help to assuage concerns of the legality of it.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
So damn the new member that hasn't done any research (because he doesn't think he needs to because it is a NAM approved vendor) and he then finds out after wards that he has been deceived by said vendor. NAM doesn't have some responsibility for this?
I appreciate the fact that all members need to be responsible for doing their own research, but it would sure go a long way to know that all vendors here are reputable. Or in the instance they do something wrong, they do what they can to rectify the situation. A negative triple digit rating is reserved for those that don't even try!!!

It took almost a year of being a NAM member before finding out it was possible to rate the vendors. Luckily, I never made a smelly, pardon, a PU mistake. Because of this, I posted in another thread that NAM should consider giving the boot to vendors that do cannot maintain a 6? or better rating. Although PU broke the mold with an obscene -100 rating.

I have said before that I wouldn't mind seeing PU leave NAM, BUT, I take it back. How does the saying go?....Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. If they stick around, they will always be on our radar, and we will always have something to biatch about ! PLUS, if they do leave, they can always REBADGE themselves, like their products! If that were to happen, newbie or not, someone will fall victim.

So PU, stick around, have a seat, BIG BROTHER is watching!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
To anybody complaining - have you emailed Internet Brands yet? If not, get to it!
There ya go...

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Just e-mailed Internet Brands my thoughts...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark

Since I'm not a tax CPA I have no idea if this is ok to do. That said Sam's understanding was that they would not benefit from the donation and that the customer would, in fact, benefit since they would have a statement that could use as donation proof for their taxes.

Mark
I think a few have already identified that this is in fact NOT legitimate. The overriding issue is that you must reduce any donation you make by the value of the goods or services received in return (i.e., whatever you pay over the market value of the goods or services is a donation, if it goes directly to a IRC § 501(c)(3) organization). I suppose one could take the position that PU's merchandise is crap and has no value, but this would probably be deemed a frivolous argument, at least by a judge who didn't know about PU. IMHO, what PU was doing was at the VERY LEAST reckless and at the extreme it could be deemed the outright enabling of tax fraud.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
because I also read the part that said "if they want". That doesn't sound like a mandate, it sounds like an option. "I asked" instead of "I told" or "I directed" is pretty weak too.

"I don't know if this is illegal"... Find out! It's not hard. Just guessing is irresponsible for someone in Marks position.

Really, I like NAM and Mark, but am at a total loss why any organization would allow themselves to be complicit in this type of behaviour. It's not like the free content that we all post here to help the community. It's easy to argue that NAM isn't responsible for all the content, as it's user based. But they get PAID to post the PU and other vendor stuff. That creates the conflict and the requirement that there be a higher standard for content control. Now it's possible to argue that NAM is benefiting and condoning illegal behaviour so as to have a vendor generate revenue that contibutes to NAM income.

Am I one of the few that see this as a dangerous area for NAM to step into? While it's an extreme reach, this is the beginning of RICO infringment, where not all actors in a conspiricy have to fully participate in all aspects of the conspiricy. While I seriously doubt that any tax enforcement agency would bother with this small stuff, the fact that it's on the wrong side of the line is worrying.

Conceptually, I find it desturbing that there isn't a better vetting of vendor content, as the financial conflic of interest is so much more clear. It's not like we're talking about a huge number of adds or posts either, compared to the volume that the membership posts.

If that makes me a PITA whiner about NAM, so be it. I don't like it and I call it as I see it.

Matt

Sadly (for Mark) I tend to agree with the points made here. Maybe from Mark's POV he doesn't make enough off this site to police the vendors in the way clamored for above (whatever his earnings were or are from NAM before or after the apparent sale I learned about here to - what is it? - Internet Brands). Well, sorry, I do not think it is a viable excuse if some serious actionable damage were ever done. I'm not an attorney, but I think one would have a field day with the concept that a proprietor has a duty to his customers to a reasonable degree, regardless of profit. I think what is asked above about vetting ads and repeat offender vendors is certainly reasonable. If the profits are insufficient to allow reasonable protection of the consumers, then find another way or close up shop. Just my opinion.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
The message to P/U is that they need to figure this out with their tax person. I've been doing my taxes as well for 30 years and I still can't answer this question.

The underlying point here is that the members on NAM make up their own minds on where they want to spend their money and/or place their trust. If a vendor's marketing, products, support, etc. creates suspicion with you then don't buy from them. We've had a host of vendors over time on the site that have had serious problems...those vendors have either worked to resolve the problems or they are gone because no one purchased from them. It wasn't because I "deemed" them unworthy of being on the site. Judging who should be on the site as a vendor and who shouldn't is a double edged sword...either I get these types of complaints or I get censorship complaints. I would prefer to let members make their own conclusions on what they see from vendors rather than relying on me to make decisions for them. Is it too much to ask that members make up their own minds?
Seems like a reasonable response, but my prior comments on Matt's points I think trumps this position. Again, just my opinion.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
I agree.

There are plenty or worthy vendors who don't actively sell through NAM (VIP Garage for example), yet we have a shady one who'll pay and it's ok. Problem is, that offers a slippery slope where NAM moderates and must vet a vendor. This is an issue for most any forum owner and honestly, there isn't enough bandwidth to do it vs. the severity of the issue.

I kind of look at it like used car dealers placing ads on cars.com. You don't blame cars.com for that and most all used car dealers are little better than PU.
I keep hearing the slippery slope phrase used when we are speaking about banning PU from NAM. Maybe I do not have enough experience with other vendors, but are there ANY other vendors who even come close to the level of distrust and disgust engendered by PU? If not, how slippery is that slope in actuality?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:53 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
As soon as I am done catching up with the remaining un-read threads here, I will.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCWGrover
Perhaps a simple inquiry to the IRS with PU's "charity" scheme, and contact info, would help to assuage concerns of the legality of it.
Please, go ahead. However, you have had two CPAs and a few folks who know enough from their own research or doing their own taxes for years who have told you it is NOT legit. I publicly dare PU to offer up the identity of their expert, so I can speak with them and find out what question was actually asked and what advice was actually given. We will find out either that 1) PU never asked, 2) PU asked the wrong question, 3) PU posted the wrong answer, 4) the expert is no expert (a fraud in their own right; takes one to use one sort of deal), or 5) their expert needs their license revoked.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 1:39 AM
AutoAdvertiser@InternetBrands.com
To whom it may concern:

This is a request for a review by your company regarding one of the regular advertisers/vendors on North American Motoring (NAM), a website I understand you recently acquired. The offender's name is Palo Uber (PU) and it is hoped that your investigation into the practices of PU will result in a banning of the party as a vendor on NAM.

NAM is littered with voluminous complaints regarding the products of the vendor. However, the most egregious offenses may be the vendor's lack of commitment to adequately address the complaints made by and the problems suffered by their customers.

All the more troublesome is the very high cost of the products that are the subject of the many complaints; I would suspect that PU has some of the highest priced products on NAM. Additionally, there are many posts to NAM asking why is PU still allowed to advertise on the site given the unscrupulous reputation they appear to have developed.

NAM members were instructed by Mark Ferguson in a recent thread to contact you with this sort of request. In the interest of full disclosure, I started the thread in question in response to a recent PU ad wherein PU made a product offer that hinged upon an erroneous income tax incentive; please note my professional credentials are identified in the signature block below and a visit to my firm website will reveal I am a published author on tax matters.

Hopefully, others have read the advice given by Mr. Ferguson and have written or will write to you. Again, many members have questioned why after so many complaints about PU they remain a site vendor.

While it should be relatively easy for you to use the NAM search engine to locate the many threads on PU, provided below is the link to the thread that I started about the current offensive ad. From reading it you will note references to some of the problems members have encountered with PU and that will point you towards which other threads to read. However, if locating the various complaints about PU is a problem, I can certainly point them out to you; just let me know.

I trust you will give me the courtesy of a reply that identifies what your investigation and evaluation produces. I look forward to your response.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=136311

Yours sincerely,

Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ -- Blackie, you trying to make 6th gear in one day again?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blackie
I publicly dare PU to offer up the identity of their expert, so I can speak with them and find out what question was actually asked and what advice was actually given.
LMAO. When has PU ever offered up any proof about anything they have claimed?????

Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since Blackie posted his email:

----------------------

As per Mark's suggestion, I'm taking time from my busy day to make you aware of an issue with one of your advertising partners: Paulo Uber.

This vendor has a long and infamous track record for misrepresenting their products, making false claims about the "originality" of their designs and, most recently, actively advertising false "charity" schemes in order to get people to buy their shoddy products. Please see this thread for comments from CPA's on the very possible illegality of their latest schemes, and how NAM may be illegally participating in a scheme to commit tax fraud:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136311

I have never purchased from this vendor - the 200+ pages or so of anti-PU messages (most with extremely well-documented email exchanges) have convinced me that this vendor is bad, bad news. In the past, Mark was hesitant to bar them from advertising on the site despite the pleas of many long-time members, but now he's passing the buck to you, the new owners of the site. Quite frankly, PU's continued presence and the profiting from NAM on their often false advertising has been one of the barriers that has kept me from becoming a NAM Alliance member - and I'm a contributor to the E-zine and a very active thread participant!

All that said, I hope that you will take the time from your busy schedule, as I am now, to do a little research on tis vendor and re-evaluate their NAM Advertiser status. You can find many, many threads on their shenanigans in the "Interior/Exterior MODs" section, or by speaking with users like Blackie. Bottom line is that 99 out of 100 NAM advertisers seem like upright and honest merchants, committed to the community and to making things right when mistakes occur, but PU really is a rotten apple in the NAM barrel. It makes me sad to see them tarnish what is otherwise the best online community I've ever been a part of.

Thank you, and I wish you all the best in you continued business endeavors.

Happy Motoring!

-Matt Cook
ImagoX on NAM.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Several of the arugments about not policing vendors hold no water...

PU is a serious outlier, very extreme in thier offences. Some other vendors sometimes slip into "extreme prose" but none come close to the BS that PU spews. The slippery slope arguement has no teeth.

The volume of vendor adds/posts arguement holds no water as well. It's a small percentage of site volume, and the member posts are moderated. To say that "it's too much work" to vet the vendor content just doesn't make sense. Have the mods read thier posts/adds too! Just like they were members.

The "it's up to the membership" doesn't hold water either. This would be an arguement to let the boards self-moderate. After all, if we can figure out what is BS from a vendor, why can't we figure out what is BS from a member?

The lack of consistancy is obvious to anyone who cares to think about it. The only difference is that vendor status buys the ability to post without moderation. This is an implicit endorsement of the content, no matter what the site moderators or owners choose to say.

But on the scale of societal harms, it is truley a small one. Sad to see but there are much worse harms that we run into in our day to day lives. But that doesn't make it right....

Matt

Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
email sent

Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The slippery slope arguement has no teeth.
Not to mention the "tangled web we weave" argument.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
LMAO. When has PU ever offered up any proof about anything they have claimed?????
How can he if he doesn't exist .

Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
Just e-mailed Internet Brands my thoughts...

Now let's see what kind of response we get.

Hopefully better than what Mark has been able to cough up.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Not really expecting these cowards to show themselves, but you have to put the challenge out there if for no other reason than to show anyone who is still not getting it (what PU is all about, deception) that there is NO wiggle room for these jokers on what they did with this misrepresentation. Often the tax code (any tax code, US, state, foreign) can have interpretations that fall into a wide range of grey, but this one is pretty much black and white.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Nice going PU, but there is a problem here!