Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Nice going PU, but there is a problem here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark
The message to P/U is that they need to figure this out with their tax person. I've been doing my taxes as well for 30 years and I still can't answer this question.

The underlying point here is that the members on NAM make up their own minds on where they want to spend their money and/or place their trust. If a vendor's marketing, products, support, etc. creates suspicion with you then don't buy from them. We've had a host of vendors over time on the site that have had serious problems...those vendors have either worked to resolve the problems or they are gone because no one purchased from them. It wasn't because I "deemed" them unworthy of being on the site. Judging who should be on the site as a vendor and who shouldn't is a double edged sword...either I get these types of complaints or I get censorship complaints. I would prefer to let members make their own conclusions on what they see from vendors rather than relying on me to make decisions for them. Is it too much to ask that members make up their own minds?
Your right - it is up to the community. We vote every time, we purchase from a vendor on this site.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Judging who should be on the site as a vendor and who shouldn't is a double edged sword...either I get these types of complaints or I get censorship complaints. I would prefer to let members make their own conclusions on what they see from vendors rather than relying on me to make decisions for them. Is it too much to ask that members make up their own minds?
Well, all I can say is if a non-paying USER posted an intentionally fraudulent "For Sale" thread, then refused to retract said ad after being challenged by it, I'd bet (hope even) that they'd be banned in a heartbeat. It does seem that paying advertisers enjoy a different status than regular users - sorry to say that, but it's the impression I'm left with. This isn't a new thing with PU, Mark - they've been pulling this utter BS on a regular basis for as long as I've been a member! I'm certainly no fan of censorship - get a drink in me and I'll tell you about the time a VFW guy punched me in the mouth then PULLED A GUN ON ME for defending free speech - but closing down a known fraudulent/shady vendor is not a free speech issue. I dunno - maybe I'm pverly sensitive about this because I work in security and I'm sick of people trying to justify theft as a "free speech" issue.

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Am I one of the few that see this as a dangerous area for NAM to step into?
I do. Like I said before - if I were a new user, and I stumbled onto PU from a linked banner ad, then got screwed, I'd be annoyed.

If I later learned that there are threads, some 25+ pages long begging the administration to remove the vendor, I'd blame the site that facilitated their ability to do business, and even profited off it via ad sales. That's amall potatoes compared to RICO violations and whatnot that Matt brought up, I guess, but it SEEMS important. Guess it's not in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-16-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would hesitate (despite what I have seen regarding PU) to call the initial post "fraudulent" as fraud requires intent. However, the fact that they claim to have researched the legality of it and still posted a blatantly wrong ad, kind of does belie an alternative argument.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
As I said before, make your opinions known to Internet Brands because they ultimately control the advertising agreement and relationship with the vendor. Contact them at AutoAdvertiser@InternetBrands.com.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I would hesitate (despite what I have seen regarding PU) to call the initial post "fraudulent" as fraud requires intent. However, the fact that they claim to have researched the legality of it and still posted a blatantly wrong ad, kind of does belie an alternative argument.
I'd argue after readsing something like 200+ pages of PU threads over the past 18 months or so that everything they do is premeditated and completely intentional. Nobody could be that stupid and still be able to make change for a dollar.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 AM
emmathecheesedog
Banned
Mark doesn't own the site anymore, if you really don't like what PU does email like he suggests. If Internet Brands gets enough emails they'll listen.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
PGT
Banned
PU is one person, maybe two before Bryce passed. All the others are figments of Carol's imagination, so as to make it seem they're larger than they are. No such person as 'Palo Uber' - who has a last name 'Uber'? It's a german word used in US advertising to evoke the 'best'. PU = mediocre rebadged crap rolled up in hyperbole and served on a shiny silver NAM platter. Public Enemy said it best.... "Don't Believe the Hype"

Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
As I said before, make your opinions known to Internet Brands because they ultimately control the advertising agreement and relationship with the vendor. Contact them at AutoAdvertiser@InternetBrands.com.
Done! Thanks as always, Mark.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emmathecheesedog
If Internet Brands gets enough emails they'll listen.

Wrong, they are in the business to make money and one way they do it is via vendor fees. This site doesn't stay up and running for free - it needs money to exist. I am sure there are a bunch of disclaimers, protecting NAM from vendor actions/performance.

The only recourse we have is one another via the sharing of information. There have been so many different threads highlighting the a) non-existence of PU (the main reason to buy from them) to b) rusting lugs to c) antennas not holding color to d) blatantly re-badged rims YET they get sales via this site or proabably won't continue to advertise.

Go figure

Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark doesn't wn the site anymore
We're all old enough to make our own decisions here..

Originally Posted by emmathecheesedog
Mark doesn't own the site anymore

Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Your right - it is up to the community. We vote every time, we purchase from a vendor on this site.
So damn the new member that hasn't done any research (because he doesn't think he needs to because it is a NAM approved vendor) and he then finds out after wards that he has been deceived by said vendor. NAM doesn't have some responsibility for this?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
PGT
Banned
no

Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I guess the beter question would be..........should NAM be responsible.

There is no problem with this statement except for the vendor that NEVER comes to the forum to defend or explain itself to the members. The only time we see anything from PU is in the form of a very deceptive vendor announcement that no one can respond to. And these posts are listed on the home page of NAM. So being suckered into buying something based on a deceptive ad is very easy the way NAM is currently set up. And that is the foundation of the problems with this vendor. And no one is willing to step up and say we don't want your kind of business on NAM.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 PM
PGT
Banned
I agree.

There are plenty or worthy vendors who don't actively sell through NAM (VIP Garage for example), yet we have a shady one who'll pay and it's ok. Problem is, that offers a slippery slope where NAM moderates and must vet a vendor. This is an issue for most any forum owner and honestly, there isn't enough bandwidth to do it vs. the severity of the issue.

I kind of look at it like used car dealers placing ads on cars.com. You don't blame cars.com for that and most all used car dealers are little better than PU.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
But when a vendor has so blatantly been deceptive with their products and business dealings as PU has, I think it would be easy to just say no......

I don't believe NAM should investigate or moderate vendors, but when one has been shown and proven to be a genuine liability it should be acted upon.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
I agree.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:09 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I do agree that its a slippery slope for NAM to approve or disapprove vendors - at least initially. But no one can deny that over time, complaints have built about PU while kudos and accolades have built up about others. I agree with Matt that when there are literally hundreds of pages of complaints about a vendor, it would be very easy for whoever owns the forum to simply say "Hey, our membership has a lot of complaints about your business. We're choosing not to do business with you at this time." I don't think its that difficult, especially as the number of SUPPORTING members continues to grow, to uphold at least a minimum standard for vendors.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
So damn the new member that hasn't done any research (because he doesn't think he needs to because it is a NAM approved vendor) and he then finds out after wards that he has been deceived by said vendor. NAM doesn't have some responsibility for this?
Being an open forum, its a gathering place and thats all it is. The site is a business and it makes fees via vendor advertisers. Recently they introduced an upgraded membership and its fee based. The key is that vendors are advertiser nothing more. Hopefully no one interprets that NAM does due diligence on their vendors. Perhaps there should be a disclosure when you join NAM. For all I know there is ?

People come to the site for information / sharing and not for protection. If a Newbie invests time on NAM, he should be allright and make informed decisiones. Bear in mind that within this comunity you will find members that like and dislike virtually ever vendor here.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
[quote=ScottinBend;2167631]I guess the beter question would be..........should NAM be responsible.

[\quote]

It could be if the community bucked up $$. We could go as far as have NAM perform an independent test on all products, we would simply have to cover the budget.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I do agree that its a slippery slope for NAM to approve or disapprove vendors - at least initially. But no one can deny that over time, complaints have built about PU while kudos and accolades have built up about others. I agree with Matt that when there are literally hundreds of pages of complaints about a vendor, it would be very easy for whoever owns the forum to simply say "Hey, our membership has a lot of complaints about your business. We're choosing not to do business with you at this time." I don't think its that difficult, especially as the number of SUPPORTING members continues to grow, to uphold at least a minimum standard for vendors.

Now this is what I am talking about.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 AM
nixjosh2
4th Gear
Guys, please don't forget about the hundreds of satisfied PU customers, doctors, lawyers, fluffers and such...........

Old 04-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend

Now this is what I am talking about.
Yes! In fact, it's something I beleive is expected in such a forum. Logically, why would a site, dedicated to a particular interest not seek to protect it's members from a vendor who prays on, rather than serves, that interest?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear

And again...........Mark, do you or do you not have any control or input on vendors anymore?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We just barking up a tree...

whether he does or not, we now know that our complaints should be directed to the corporate massters, for them to follow or ignore...

Matt

Old 04-17-2008, 07:35 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Nice going PU, but there is a problem here!