Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior dash install tips??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Beecher
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash install tips??

i just got my jcw cf dash this morning, and am trying to install it. The center and driver side went well, but i cant get the psngr side fully attached. It just clips in with friction clips, and i cant get the two upper ones towards the drivers side to engage. Ive pulled it back off, and tried starting with those two, but it just clips all the ones in as soon as i apply pressure. Any one got any tips or cheats for installing it?

i will also give a tip to people removing one, when you get the drivers side one unattached, or maybe even before would be easier, but anyway, remove the tack, and un hook the rubber part from around the piece of alluminum showing in there. Its hard to see. I pulled the rubber off from the dash piece itself, and when i opened the new one, found it came with a new rubber. Its much easier to remove the rubber the proper way that trying to pull it off the rivets that hold it to the dash insert:impatient.

thanks for any help

oh, its a 3pc dash by the way.

and the jcw spoiler looks amazing, i just wish it was warm enough to install it

Beecher

Old 12-15-2007, 11:03 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine just snapped in. check the fittings...maybe pop one out and see how it works on the dash piece itself before reinstalling.

the only issues I had were getting that rubber piece back in place under the tack and the aluminum mount for the tach getting crossthreaded. luckily, I had a tap and die set to retap the holes and it went back in like new. be sure to get things lined up before reinstalling....aluminum isn't the best piece to thread into and it's easy to ruin the holes.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:06 AM
CooperGear
Banned
I have installed a bunch of dashes.

The trick that I have noticed is that you start in the very drivers side corner. This will insure that the corner sits correctly and then you just push it in along the top edge and then finally the bottom.

I hope that this helps you with your problem.

blake

Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Beecher
4th Gear
thanks guy, i will try both of them right now. Never thought of trying one with out the dash piece. You have any idea how hard it is to get those fitting off tho? haha. Mine arrived sans 2 of them, and i had to pry them off the old dash. they stick good on the dash, haha.

Beecher

Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Beecher
4th Gear
done and done. thanks guy.

When i pulled it off one of the tangs stuck in the hole (the one i had to remove from the old dash actually). So i decided to pull the twothat i couldnt get in off, and stick them in the holes, and pried the one in the hole out and put it back on the insert. Lined it all up, gave it a couple wacks, starting in the upper drivers side corner, and presto, good and tight. looks amazing.

I have no idea how to resize pics to post them, so i will just put a pic up in my gallery. one of these days will have to figure out how to do that.

thanks again guys

Beecher

Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
ah, thanks. wish it was a batter shot, tho. I will try to get a better one. did you basically just take that from the gallery, save it in its default size from there, and then post it? I never thought of that. It only occured to me because it looks like the same size as whats in the gallery. thanks alot PGT.

Beecher

Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Thanks to those who posted tips for the install!

I just completed my JCW CF 3 piece dash kit.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i REALLY had to push hard!
glad to know you got it in!