Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Shift knob modification - need your help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:11 PM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift **** modification - need your help

Ok - so since owning an 05 Porsche 987, I've been obsessed with how perfect the shift **** was (and after adding the Schnell SSK - obsessed with how incredibly precise the shifting was). My 03 VW Beetle used a similar style, though not as weighted, shift ****.

At any rate, I wanted to put the Porshe **** into my former bmw 330ci but never got around to figuring out how. Well, now I want to venture that route with the MCS. The Porsche and/or VW shift **** is a connected unit to the shift boot and housing. So, the one thing I know is that I'd cut the boot at the bottom and then attach into the MCS housing. I think the Porsche or VW **** would look great on the MCS because the lower portion of the handle is longer thus helping cosmetically since the MCS lever is so long.

Here's the tricky part - the Porsche/VW **** doesn't connect in any way similar to the MCS/BMW *****. I've attached links with pix - and I'm sure some of you have experience with either newer Porsche or VW - but I need some ideas on how I might get the **** to firmly attach to the shift lever for a secured feel. I found a VW lever for $60 (which isn't too expensive to experiement with, but the Porsche ones I really like usually go for $150-200 - a little to expensive to experiment with).

Thanks for your input and technical advice/expertise!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Go...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by mach schnell; 12-01-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
mach schnell
4th Gear
bump - no one has anythoughts?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Mrono
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mach schnell
bump - no one has anythoughts?
Eh, give it a few more hours, i'm sure someone has an idea, good luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have you thought about a short shift kit or contacted Whalen - the one of shifter fame - about his *****/adapters? Check the vender list: whalen shift machine, or something of the like.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a photo of a Whalen adaptor on this page:
http://www.robincasady.com/ShiftKnobs/Installation.html
I use them in my wooden *****. The threads are an odd size that probably would not match anything else. Doug makes a brass insert that glues into his pool ball *****, or my wooden *****.

The link to the Porsche shift **** only shows the exterior, and the VW link isn't loading the photos. So, I have no idea what the attachment mechanism looks like in those *****. Without knowing that, it is impossible to make recommendations.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Have you thought about a short shift kit or contacted Whalen - the one of shifter fame - about his *****/adapters? Check the vender list: whalen shift machine, or something of the like.
thanks for replying - i'm familiar with whalen from my bmw days - however, not much of a fan of the metal and/or round "ball" style shift *****. Although Whalen captures the combo of creative artistry and weighted performance - it doesnt capture the design and fit of that porsche style ****

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
There is a photo of a Whalen adaptor on this page:

The link to the Porsche shift **** only shows the exterior, and the VW link isn't loading the photos. So, I have no idea what the attachment mechanism looks like in those *****. Without knowing that, it is impossible to make recommendations.
robin - thanx for reply - i've attached a photo of what the Schnell SSK lever looks like for an example of what the attachment (on the lever) would look like for the porsche ****. also, here's a link to b&m instructions to install their ssk for porsche - so every1 can see what the underside of the porsch **** looks like when it's detached from the oem shift lever.

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Shift knob modification - need your help-schnellshortshift.jpg  
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mach schnell
robin - thanx for reply - i've attached a photo of what the Schnell SSK lever looks like for an example of what the attachment (on the lever) would look like for the porsche ****. also, here's a link to b&m instructions to install their ssk for porsche - so every1 can see what the underside of the porsch **** looks like when it's detached from the oem shift lever.

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf
Looks quite different than the MINI. My guess would be that you would have to get something custom machined. I can't tell whether an adaptor would be possible. More likely, you would have to have a custom shift lever machined.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Looks quite different than the MINI. My guess would be that you would have to get something custom machined. I can't tell whether an adaptor would be possible. More likely, you would have to have a custom shift lever machined.
Yeah - that's what I've been thinking. Unfortunately, something like that takes a back burner to other more important, neck-snapping modifications and changes! Unless some1 decides to make a look-alike replacement for the mini that uses the stock lever