Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How to: install lower grill (Aero Grill Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
whiteonblack
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to: install lower grill (Aero Grill Kit)

Hey
i have bought the upper grill and installed it with no problem but i have heared that the lower part is a mess to do. Has anyone done it and can tell me how to??

Old 10-18-2007, 01:00 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, nobody here has ever attempted such a thing.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Jason C
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
no, nobody here has ever attempted such a thing.
This is why I'm getting tired of this board. Anytime someone new asked a question (that has admittedly been asked a thousand times) they get smart *** remarks and no real advice. Nice.

Whiteonblack, Yes it is a pain to do the lower grille but doable. Do a search above for Aero Grille or something similar and that should get you going in the right direction. I have a link to the install notes at home. If no one else chimes in, I'll try to PM them to you later.
Jason

Oh and welcome to NAM.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM
whiteonblack
Neutral
thanks bud, PrplPplEtr is a real badass. I am new here and kinda new to forums in general. thanks for your help Jason

Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Yeah no need to be an *** when someone asks for help.

Here you go. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...+grill+install

Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 PM
MidnightDave
5th Gear
Two sides to this coin. Trolls are as old as the Internet, as are Newbies.

If you learn (quickly ;-) ) to search the forums you'll be much more readily accepted. Welcome to the "club" by the way. You'll have a lot of fun with your MINI and your new comrades.

As for the lower grill, another guy and I did ours at a "mod day" where everybody gets together at somebody's house, typically a guy who's mechanically inclined, and has tools to back up the know how, and there were a couple guys who had done this before so they helped us.

That's my recommendation, if like me, you're not that mechanically inclined. Get together with a group of MINI owners in your area, and have a mod day.

BTW, it's really not that bad if you take your time and pay attention.

Post pics once you have it done!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
whiteonblack
Neutral
thanks for your guys help even tho i did not search the site before i posted! once i am done with the mods i hope my mini looks good. i will post some pix!
thanx once again
Alex

Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 AM
wolf3142
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im not sure how helpful this is, but I tried doing both the upper and 'lower' (middle) aero grill installs on a stock MCS bumper...i had a bit of trouble so I just took the car to my local MINI collision center and had them install it for $75. They did a great job too...the lower grill is almost perfectly flush with the rest of the bumper and looks fantastic. See what your local service center or collision center will do for ya; might be worth the look and a few extra bucks.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
If you have a Dremmel tool its quite easy. Pull off the old piece, hold up the aero piece to the bumper, put tape where the new tab holes need to go. Use the little cutter bit to drill out the tab holes and put on your new aero grill. Just be sure you have a steady hand and your new tab slots should be just wide enough for the new grill to lock in place.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sheesh, you guys have no sense of humor whatsoever. that was not a flame, nor did i think the OP was a troll.

lighten up fellas...

Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 PM
noles825
Banned
whiteonBlack, where are you in Orlando? I'm relatively new to NAM too, so welcome! I'm looking to get involved in some things locally and meet some fellow Mini owners, so if you're attending any events or know of any easy ways to get involved, let me know! Sunshine Minis doesn't seem to be too active in Central Florida recently...

Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by wolf3142
im not sure how helpful this is, but I tried doing both the upper and 'lower' (middle) aero grill installs on a stock MCS bumper...i had a bit of trouble so I just took the car to my local MINI collision center and had them install it for $75. They did a great job too...the lower grill is almost perfectly flush with the rest of the bumper and looks fantastic. See what your local service center or collision center will do for ya; might be worth the look and a few extra bucks.
That basically is the problem with the lower aero grille for the bumper.

For aero grill on the aero bumper MCS or MC then it is very easy, just line up and snap/glue in place, then you're done.

For the Stock MC or MCS bumps the holes or slots for the stock grill do not line up with the pegs for the aero grill hence you will have to cut the pegs and trim or modify the slots so that you can make the two pieces match. Then the grill will be flush with the surface of the front bumper, if you do not cut and trim or dremmel then the grill sticks out about 1/8" and is not flush. I have seen it done both ways and I like it better flush.

I did the top grill myself and had a body shop do the lower grill, they took off the bumper and took a very long time trimming and glueing. You also have to paint black the area behind the lower grill so that it looks good as you can see through the grill and see the bumper color.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 AM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM...... =)

My friend CHKMINI used some sort of adhesive & glued his on. In the year or so that I've known him it still there & looking good. I'd suggest PMing him & asking him what he did.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:35 AM
mcs_jcw
2nd Gear