Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Shorty antenna no longer fits

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:09 AM
carla99
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorty antenna no longer fits

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I attended a MINI run and was given a flying ribbon to attach to my antenna. Problem is I had installed a 2 " shorty (this being my first run and not knowing I would be given a ribbon that attaches to the std antenna) and naturally the ribbon would not stay by me attaching it to the top. Therefore I had to unscrew my antenna to loop/attach the ribbon to fit in between the screw and base of antenna - basically the ribbon was hanging in between the screwed antenna base and antenna mount. (Actually, I could not get it to screw back into place so I had someone else do it.) Anyway, ever since, I have not been able to get that flush fit with my shorty antenna and have instead resorted back to the std radio car antenna that came with my baby. When I try to screw in the stubby there is about a 3/4" gap in between the base of the stubby and the base mount. I thought that maybe there were some ribbon threads stuck down in the base of the antenna but yesterday I finally stood on a chair to look inside and didn't see any leftover ribbon threads. I have no idea what could have caused this. Btw, I have the alta 2" stubby. Please help!

Last edited by carla99; 09-10-2007 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could it be that the threaded stud in the antenna has come unscrewed somewhat? See if you can screw it further into the antenna. You may need to put some leather (or something similar) around the threads to protect them and use pliers or a vice.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:51 AM
carla99
2nd Gear
Robin - I just tried that and the screw seems tight in the antenna....any other suggestions? Also, I am posting some pics to to show exactly what I mean. The screw antenaa does small piece of thread but I can not imagine this being the issue (especially since it is deep into the top of the antenna and this no where equals the amount of gapped space).

Attached Thumbnails Shorty antenna no longer fits-dscn2542.jpg   Shorty antenna no longer fits-dscn2543.jpg   Shorty antenna no longer fits-dscn2548.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird, huh?? Well if the antenna is okay then maybe a threaded insert in the base has backed out? Seems like it has to be one of the two since it was in there correctly once upon a time.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:32 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Could it be that, when you wrapped the ribbon around the threads and took it out, that some of the ribbon actually fell to the bottom...thus creating an obstruction? Perhaps you could take a long nail or piece of wire and probe to see if anything is stuck down inside....

Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
My guess

My guess is when you removed the stubby you managed to back the mounting stud a turn or two out of the antenna. Looking at the pics you posted I see that the mounting stud appears to have a hex socket end.... I'd try turning the mounting stud back into the antenna..... This will shorted the exposed part of the stud an allow a flush fit.

Get the right size hex key - stick the antenna on it and try to turn the antenna farther down the stud.....

Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
MisterC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by carla99
...(Actually, I could not get it to screw back into place so I had someone else do it.)
Cross-threaded?

Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey guys. You are on the right track. Take a allen wrench and remove the stud from the base of the mast. Then screw it into the base on the car. Then put the mast back on. Should be just fine. If not let us know!