Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How to cut glare and reflections from the tach and speedo [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:03 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
How to cut glare and reflections from the tach and speedo [pics]

moved to: http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ad.php?t=15022

Last edited by rkw; 10-15-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
moved to: http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ad.php?t=15022

Last edited by rkw; 10-15-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking forward to your write up, I just found my next mod!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rkw - Is this anti-reflective the same as polarizing?
I've had issues wearing my polarizing sunglasses in the MINI because sometimes I can't see the LED readings like Speed or the Time. However if I tilt my head a bit they become visible again.
I guess what I am saying is that if this anti-glare is different from the polarizing coating, I'd be interested.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 PM
nixjosh2
4th Gear
great find and great idea, I too know what i am doing next

Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
I guess what I am saying is that if this anti-glare is different from the polarizing coating, I'd be interested.
Yes, anti-reflective and polarizing are different qualities. You can have one or the other separately or both together. An anti-reflective coating makes more light pass through the lens instead of bouncing off the surface. The effect is that it makes the lens more optically clear, i.e. closer to not being there. For good reason, just about any lens or filter for a camera has anti-reflective coatings on its surfaces -- you want as much light as possible from the subject to reach the film or sensors, not bounce off the lens surface.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Great - I'm interested then. Thanks for the optics lesson - now to dump these polarizing lens on my sun glasses.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Where would I find this anti-reflective stuff for a non-nav equipped 2003?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:17 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Great - I'm interested then. Thanks for the optics lesson - now to dump these polarizing lens on my sun glasses.
A properly aligned polarization will not block the visibility of LED or LCD displays. For the polarization to be correct it must be at the 180 degree plane. You can test it by holding 2 polarized lenses at a 90 degree difference. Because of the nature of polarization they will appear completely opaque when aligned at a 90 degree angle. Any optician will have a testing lens & can tell you what's going on.

So if your lenses are prescription, the polarization got twisted during edging or installation in the frames. If they are off the shelf sunglasses - you've been had by a cheap polarized lens.

RKW - Bad *** find on the Optimum acrylic!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
minjae
6th Gear
wow that looks nice...my glasses i wear when taking off my contacts cut off the glare too!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Nice mod! But I just tinted my windows

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Nice find. I am interested in this for MINInurse since she has a cabrio.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:11 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm an optometrist and with a strong glasses Rx myself and have has anti-reflection coating for years...the good AR coatings, until recently were fairly durable, but still scratched more easily than a scratch resistant plastic lens, but the latest coatings are much tougher and are as tough to scratch as scratch resistant plastic, but do smudge more and require more care. The one pictured, Crizal, is great, but that brand's newest one, Alize, adds a smudge resistant coating that works fantasticly...there are 2 other brands that work as well to avoid smudging and they each say their's is the best..(surprise).

That mod seems like a great idea...looking forward to the 'how to'.

Note: the AR coating used for this mod is a true AR as it has that bluish cast...this is different from glare-free glass you would see on a picture frame which minimzes reflections by etching the glass which would make it hazy to look through but not hazy if it is right over something. I try to clean the plastics of my speedo and tach as rarely as possible as they scratch and swirl amazingly easily and first will use packaging tape and lightly touch, not wipe, the plastic so it will lift off any dust/abrasive particles and then wipe with Z6 and a microfiber cloth that is meant for anti relection glasses

MiniMaybe...if you are looking at a wet road on a sunny day with your polarized sunglasses and your head is straight, and the glare on the road is reduced, then your polarized lenses work fine...then when you tilt your head 45 degrees the glare off the road comes back and you can see the same glare as everyone else, then when you have your head straight again, the glare gets reduced.....I'm sure they are fine.....when I wear my polarized glasses in my car, same thing happens to me....seems silly that they have the polarized bezel of the display at an angle that would cause this to happen

Yeah the AR coating totlally different form polarized lense...I have my regular clear glasses and my sunglasses both AR'd

Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
When I first got my prescription sunglasses with the polarizing lens, I nearly became physically sick. Things were very bizarre looking like in an oddly 3-D kind of way.
Turns out they had one lens polarized at 90 deg and the other at 0 degs. Whoa, that was weird!. Still though the polarizing does make it hard to read the LEDs if my angle is just so. Also you can see weird patterns in some glass, like stress regimes or something.
So sorry for the off topic - back to the anti-glare thread.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Im liking this idea

Old 08-14-2007, 06:39 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
hmmm if it's at all more scratch resistant then the oem lenses this would be a home run. I'm sick of the glare off my oem lenses and they are scratched to hell and need to be replaced any way.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
I'm an optometrist and with a strong glasses Rx myself and have has anti-reflection coating for years...the good AR coatings, until recently were fairly durable, but still scratched more easily than a scratch resistant plastic lens, but the latest coatings are much tougher and are as tough to scratch as scratch resistant plastic, but do smudge more and require more care. The one pictured, Crizal, is great, but that brand's newest one, Alize, adds a smudge resistant coating that works fantasticly...there are 2 other brands that work as well to avoid smudging and they each say their's is the best..(surprise).

That mod seems like a great idea...looking forward to the 'how to'.

Note: the AR coating used for this mod is a true AR as it has that bluish cast...this is different from glare-free glass you would see on a picture frame which minimzes reflections by etching the glass which would make it hazy to look through but not hazy if it is right over something. I try to clean the plastics of my speedo and tach as rarely as possible as they scratch and swirl amazingly easily and first will use packaging tape and lightly touch, not wipe, the plastic so it will lift off any dust/abrasive particles and then wipe with Z6 and a microfiber cloth that is meant for anti relection glasses

MiniMaybe...if you are looking at a wet road on a sunny day with your polarized sunglasses and your head is straight, and the glare on the road is reduced, then your polarized lenses work fine...then when you tilt your head 45 degrees the glare off the road comes back and you can see the same glare as everyone else, then when you have your head straight again, the glare gets reduced.....I'm sure they are fine.....when I wear my polarized glasses in my car, same thing happens to me....seems silly that they have the polarized bezel of the display at an angle that would cause this to happen

Yeah the AR coating totlally different form polarized lense...I have my regular clear glasses and my sunglasses both AR'd
Well, this explains why I have to clean my glasses 8 times a day.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
[quote=MiniMaybee;1677748]When I first got my prescription sunglasses with the polarizing lens, I nearly became physically sick. Things were very bizarre looking like in an oddly 3-D kind of way.

Sorry to be off topic myself. I just got prescript polarized sunglasses a month ago. I wore them on a trip, and at one airport, the departure/arrival screens were ALL LCD! I could NOT see them! And of course taking the glasses off didn't help, cuz I'm so darn nearsighted.

Now back to our regular programming...

Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
The AR coated acrylic sounds like a great idea.
It's gotta be way cheaper than getting an optician's lab to coat the
stock parts, which crossed my mind as well a couple months ago on
another related thread.
Look forward to hearing more details.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Nice mod! But I just tinted my windows
x2.

-Cody

Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Interesting
I haven't really noticed glare on GPMINIs dials, except if I'm trying to photograph them.
I'd love to have dials that didn't show marks so badly though!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
My windows were tinted when I picked up Alice from the dealership back in aught 2 and the glare on the tach is often so bad I can't even see the LED display. Where can I get this AR lens for my car?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Agro
My windows were tinted when I picked up Alice from the dealership back in aught 2 and the glare on the tach is often so bad I can't even see the LED display. Where can I get this AR lens for my car?
Looks like a DIY.
from his first gallery pic, sounds like it comes from a picture frame shop:
The material is Optium anti-reflective sheet acrylic, manufactured by Tru Vue. It is used primarily for picture framing and available in 3mm, 4.5mm, or 6mm thickness. I used 3mm. Optium comes in regular or UV blocking variety. I have the UV block variety only because it is what the local framing shop had in stock. Gauges don't need the UV block variety (it costs a bit more and is for protecting artwork from fading). The acrylic comes with protective film on both sides.
from the second pic:
I printed out a 4 inch diameter circle, and pasted it on the piece as a cutting template. 4 inches is the size to use for gauges over the steering column (either the single tach or the dual gauge tach/speedo as with Nav). A center speedo uses a 6.5 inch diameter circle.

Great info, Richard!
I've already polished by speedo/tach, but this looks even better.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
An optician would not be able to coat the stock lenses with AR. The plastic and the coating (on good AR) are bonded at the molecular level. At least that's what I was told by the AR reps and labs back when I was an Optician. Plus the machines are application specific to optical lenses only.

This is a brilliant work around. As soon as I find someone in the Baltimore area that sells the Optium anti-reflective acrylic I'm gonna do it.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:45 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE

Last edited by rkw; 10-15-2009 at 11:47 PM.