How To Interior/Exterior :: Boot Stripes DIY Install With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
soilsample
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,
I just installed some of Asthetic creations' Viper stripes on my hood and down the grill and bumper.
The "wet" application works ok for the large flat stuff, but it's hard to do it wet with the smaller pieces.
With the dry application it's much easier to remove the release liner from the top of the vinyl. With the wet application, the release liner will try to lift the vinyl if it's not completely dry and stuck VERY well to the surface.

The down side of the dry application is some very small bubbles under the vinyl. Mike says that these bubbles will lay down after a couple of weeks. I hope so.... they're already improving..... will try to be patient and see what happens.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
This is a great thread - and it has inspired me to do the install myself on my DS MCSC. Ordered my stripes yesterday.

I've wanted these since I first ordered my MINI, but was afraid to take it on. Thanks to ImagoX and the DIY with pictures I've decided to take the leap...

Old 07-18-2006, 05:24 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonP
Question.

I replaced some hood decals on a Toyota truck I used to own. When I did this I was told to use a liquid (dish soap and warm water mixture) to lightly spray on first then lay the decal down. Doing this allowed workability with the decal to get all the bubbles and wrinkles out. After a couple of hours the mixture would dry and the decal became permanent.

Has anyone done it this way? It's been so long I don't remember exactly how I did it and what the water to soap ratio was.
I was taught to use a lubricant solution sprayed under stripe to allow for adjustment.This stops bubbles and creases.It makes it so much easier to lay the stripe down.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:11 PM
schreyerplace
3rd Gear
Thanks again ImagoX. Your write up helped me out quite a bit. My stripes came yesterday and I almost finished up before it got too dark but I'll install the new badge on the boot tomorrow. Here are my results: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=73866

Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 AM
RonP
4th Gear
A quick tip. Before removing the original badge run one solid piece of tap completely across the under (or upper) side of the badge. Then, cut away where the boot stripe will go. Once done installing the boot stripe run a second piece of tape over the top two pieces left from the original tape. This will allow you to simply and easily get the new badge on straight. No eyeballing or levels needed.

I'm going to attempt the wet install to decrease the bubbles and possible wrinkles. My boot stripes shipped today.

Hey dragonflyer, do you have a recommended mixture for doing wet installs?

Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 AM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Since it is only the "COOPE" that ends up on the stripe - did anyone ever consider leaving the "RS" in place as a guide and only taking off (and replacing) the first five letters?

Old 07-19-2006, 05:12 AM
schreyerplace
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schulzmc
Since it is only the "COOPE" that ends up on the stripe - did anyone ever consider leaving the "RS" in place as a guide and only taking off (and replacing) the first five letters?
At least in the case of the replacement badge from Aesthetic Creations, the badge comes with a single backing strip over the adhesive and on the other side (covering the letters) a sticky backing keeping all of the individual letters ready for application. It's basically set up to peel and stick the entire badge even though the components are not connected. This approach might work if you're trying to reuse the remove badge letters though.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:42 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quick tip. Before removing the original badge run one solid piece of tap completely across the under (or upper) side of the badge. Then, cut away where the boot stripe will go. Once done installing the boot stripe run a second piece of tape over the top two pieces left from the original tape. This will allow you to simply and easily get the new badge on straight. No eyeballing or levels needed.
I'd still use a level. I'm 99.9% certain that I got my replacement badge on exactly where the old one was, and it's still a bit crooked. I'm pretty sure form my pics that the factory one was a bit off. Leveling it would have assured it was straigt, and would have been easier than all the taping anyway.

PS- all tiny bubbles from my "dry" install dissappeared after one hot day in the sun.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
RonP
4th Gear
PS- all tiny bubbles from my "dry" install dissappeared after one hot day in the sun.
Good to hear. I'll most likely do the dry install as I'm not 100% about doing it wet.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:14 PM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Very nice looking stripes. Loved the numbers. You're right, very Hot Wheels looking. From where in the Buckeye State do you park?

I miss Cinci.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:51 PM
DSA
3rd Gear
In my best Homer Simpson "OOOO NICE!"

Old 07-20-2006, 03:04 PM
RonP
4th Gear
My boot stripes just arrived (that was very quick). Just read through ImagoX's post and am off to read the directions and then it's go time. Say a wee prayer. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:45 PM
RonP
4th Gear
All done.

I'm not too sure I like the look of the badge where it's at. I put it back exactly where the original was and was so concerned with doing that I did not step back to see how it looked against the stripe. It hangs over both sides a bit, not too sure I like that. I had a thought of ordering up a new one and replacing it, any thoughts on how easy it would come off with the new stripe underneath or should I leave it well enough alone?

Old 07-20-2006, 05:29 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
I Think it looks good like that. At least it's center in the stripes.

Good job man. Looks great

Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM
schreyerplace
3rd Gear
All done.

I'm not too sure I like the look of the badge where it's at. I put it back exactly where the original was and was so concerned with doing that I did not step back to see how it looked against the stripe. It hangs over both sides a bit, not too sure I like that. I had a thought of ordering up a new one and replacing it, any thoughts on how easy it would come off with the new stripe underneath or should I leave it well enough alone?

I agonized over my stripe installation because I wanted the stripes more in the middle but I knew the badge was going to hang over on the left. I ended up shifting the stripes towards the inside but now that I see yours, it looks fine and I shouldn't have sweated it so much. I think it looks great. Good job on the install.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Mine came today and I put them on tonight. I used my idea of leaving the "R S" of the badge in place and only taking off the "COOPE". That worked great - it was super easy to restore the "COOPE" with the new badge to the exact same place it was. (I cut off the R S" part of the new badge.) My ten year old son did try to talk me into using the leftover "P" from the original badge to make it a "POOPER S". The other thing I did differently than some have done was leaving the top untrimmed and simply wrapping it all over into the boot. I hope the top edge will be less likely to come loose that way.

I do have a few small bubbles that I will leave alone for a few days and see if they go away on their own. Otherwise it's needle time.

Thanks for all the help and ideas in this thread!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:17 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
I noticed in the first picture of my post it looks like I left some of the "E" as well. That's just some glue I did not remove before taking the picture.

BTW - Thanks to Aesthetic Creations for a quick ship and a great product!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 PM
RonP
4th Gear
I love the way your badge hangs off to one side. I went ahead and removed mine. I sent a PM to dragonflyer for a replacement. It bugged me too much to have it the way it was and if I did not remove it now it would be more difficult after the sticky tape started to harden. Good thing, it came right off with no damage to the stripe.

So for now my baby is badgeless.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:21 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
The car and stripes look great (and I've never been a fan of the conv) but this looks really hot!

Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yaay! More stripes!

Mike should be paying me a commission.

PS- the stripes look great guys.... both of them work well with the color of the car IMHO.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:54 AM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Thanks for the comments. I finally got a chance to rewax the back and get a better picture.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:06 AM
today
1st Gear
Hi,
I have a question about the [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Black Bonnet Stripes,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Where to buy this item?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]My car is Mini Cooper S[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Thanks a lot[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 07-23-2006, 10:02 AM
RonP
4th Gear
Where to buy this item?
Go here...http://www.aestheticreations.net/

Old 08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Rebadged her today, I am much happier.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
draggonmann
5th Gear
I saw ImagoX at a road ralley July 29 and his MINI looked sweet, nice job.

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Boot Stripes DIY Install With Pictures