How To Interior/Exterior :: Boot Stripes DIY Install With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys rock... the Booties look fantastic. DIY is the way to go. The Aesthetic Creations stripes make it easy (well, that and doing a bit of homework).

Thanks, Dragon - your car is really something; I'm jealous. Good luck with that areo fender re-do...

Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I would share my Asthetic Creation boot stripes too. Top notch!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:13 AM
PredMini
3rd Gear
Who says that they have to go back on the boot?

I just taped over the CooperS before removing it with fishing line, added new 2 sided tape and relocated them to he dash.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:53 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just ordered my black w/white pins Boot Stripes from AC... I'm psyched !

I think it looks great and appreciate the folks in this thread who posted their great pics and especially ImagoX for his excellent photos and details of the process.

Now... the fiance wants the checkered side stripes on the AestheticCreations website for her Pepper White MC. Since it already has the checkmate package with checkerboard pattern on the side, I don't care for that look. Opinions ??

http://www.aestheticreations.net/sidestripes.htm (first pic on that link)

Old 09-15-2006, 06:35 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Hmmm...that's a LOT of checks.... It's not how *I* would go personally, but it's all about what you like. The nice thing about vinyl is that you can easily remove them if you change your mind afterwards. the stripes will be ruined, but all you'll be out is the cost of the graphic.

Good luck with the boot stripe - just go slow and you should have no problems.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:39 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
That's the reason I don't care for that look, ImagoX... Checkerboard Overload ! I told her to sleep on it for a week or two and if she still wants it, then I'll put them on for her.

Yep, going to take my time and put those boot stripes on my baby very carefully !

Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:16 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Done !

Thanks, ImagoX... your DIY instructions made this a real PIECE of CAKE ! I completed the entire job in less than 90 minutes.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Nice job! They look awesome. Black stripes on red are the best color combo out there.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Thanks ! I ended up with only two tiny air bubbles (one on each stripe) and I'm sure they'll be gone by the end of the week. I took the squeegie very slowly, alternating right edge then left edge at about a quarter of an inch at a time.

Yep, I love the black w/white pinstripe stripes on the chili red Cooper...sharp, IMHO !

Gotta get some double sided tape now to attach the old "Cooper" badge to the dash like PredMine did in the pic above ^^^.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:51 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Tip for re-badging

I noticed some DIYers have trouble getting the COOPER back on the stripes straight. I've hear the tip about a level, which may help but only if the car is also level.

What I recommend is using low-stick masking tape and creating a line from below the chrome boot handle all the way across the right-rear of the car (see photo below - sorry for the glare on the letters...the sun was right behind me and I took the shot with my cell phone). This sets up the perfect line to guide the rebadging.

I hope this helps!
Name:  boot_stripe.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Thanks, PD.

I noticed in my pic, my badge looks slanted just like ImagoX's did in his pics. But I used a level when I attached it and with the naked eye (in real life) it looks straight.

Angle of the camera, maybe ??

Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I used the A.C. Boot Stripes as well. I cut it to make the badge stand out. Getting the angle for the cut right was tricky.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Woooooooooo... good thinking, MM ! And I bet that was tricky, getting both cuts parallel. Nice job.

By the way, were everyone else's boot stripes shipped pre-cut ? I was expecting to have to trim the edges, but they were cut to the needed length already.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
CR&PW,

You may be right about the camera angle. In my signature photo my boot stripes don't look even, but in reality they are.

My stripes came almost double the length needed. I don't mind doing the trimming, and like to tuck the ends under wherever possible. But pre-cut would have been a time saver!

Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Yep, trade-off, for sure. I like the wrap-around-the-edges look, too. But not having to worry about cutting the upper edge where the rubber trim along the window is, sure saved me some time and worry.

Man, I'm loving the look of the new boot stripes so much, must have looked into the garage eight times yesterday. Missed a couple of plays of the football game because of my Stripe Love.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Honestly I'd use a level. I'm almost 100% certain I got the new badge on at the same level as the original one, and mine too looks level to the eye but crooked in photos. (Shrug)... It's not a big deal, really, but levelling it can't hurt I think.

Chili, those look GREAT! Congrats and I'm glad the write-up helped you.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Honestly I'd use a level. I'm almost 100% certain I got the new badge on at the same level as the original one, and mine too looks level to the eye but crooked in photos. (Shrug)... It's not a big deal, really, but levelling it can't hurt I think.

Chili, those look GREAT! Congrats and I'm glad the write-up helped you.
Your "how-to" not only helped me...before reading your post, I never would have even given a moment's thought to putting on boot stripes myself. Might be the best $73 (with shipping and handling) I ever spent. LOVE THEM !

Ps. Just had a clearbra put on today. Watched them do it. Now there is a job I wouldn't tackle myself.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:24 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Making this a sticky.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
hailpurdue
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Making this a sticky.
You're mocking me aren't you?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yay! I got another sticky! I love boot stripes - everyone go get some!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:17 PM
dragonslayer226
1st Gear
those stripes look great... i chose magnetic ones there easy to change out and clean

Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dragonslayer226
those stripes look great... i chose magnetic ones there easy to change out and clean
Be careful with those ! Others have tried them and found they move ever so slightly and can cause scratches, swirls, and other unfriendly stuff.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
New boot stripes for my new MINI! Aesthetic Creations stripes, just like in the How-to. Went on easy as you please in about 30 minutes, following prep and removal of the OEM badging with dental floss...

Name:  dawn_bootstripes.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  66.2 KB

Old 12-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ImagoX, as the consensus guru on these DIY dry boot stripe installs, can you offer some opinions/suggestions on side stripe installs?

I have a custom set from AC sitting in their box awaiting installation. I've decided to wait until after the cruel winter weather to do this install, but I am apprehensive about it and am already worrying about how I will do it when the time arrives. Gravity will not be nearly the same friend as it was for your boot stripes, as it will be continuously working to take the long horizontal lines on the side stripes out of alignment. Starting from the middle and working towards the ends means that 3+ ft of exposed adhesive will be flopping around, which also means the car probably needs to be up on stands to remove the danger of an end getting dropped and touching the ground.

Any installation hints you might have would be greatly appreciated. Since this is a boot stripe thread, perhaps you can point to another appropriate thread (or maybe consider starting one?).

Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
jblaw
3rd Gear
Along the same lines...

...Although not boot stripes, does anyone have any experience doing their own bonnet stripes? I am a little nervous about lining them up.

Thanks,

-JB

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Boot Stripes DIY Install With Pictures