How To Drivetrain :: Change Your Own Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So just to be sure as I want to do this as well, my car has not had anything replaced and just got a little rattle developing (60k) so I would order the 11-31-7-597-895 tensioner... Right?! The 551 would be too long and would help develop the problem even further without proper chain guides etc, at least that what I got from the info

Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alwyn
So just to be sure as I want to do this as well, my car has not had anything replaced and just got a little rattle developing (60k) so I would order the 11-31-7-597-895 tensioner... Right?! The 551 would be too long and would help develop the problem even further without proper chain guides etc, at least that what I got from the info
It is the other way around :p If you don't change the chain, then you use 551 (the longer part). If you get a new chain, sprockets and the rest (the newer PN), then you use 895.

There is no point in fitting the 895 alone, as the length would be the same as your current one.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 AM
metro62
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so I would order the 11-31-7-597-895 tensioner... Right?
I re-read the SI M11 02 07 again to confirm; it specifies:

1. Use the -551 tensioner if retaining the EXISTING timing chain and guides and measurement of existing tensioner is less than 68mm

-OR-

2. Use the -895 tensioner if replacing the timing chain and guides

Edit: basic same thought as alex's.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Haha, thanks guys! I was so confused with all these damn part numbers, they should have just made it right the first time :P

Will be going ahead with the -551 then... Hoping this rattle will go away as it sounds horrible and therefore I have not driven it since! She needs to keep going a little longer so daddy can save a little longer and replace the pistons, rods etc. together with the new chain and guides...

Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Just did the change, what a world of difference!!

Thanks again for the how to!!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
zato1980
1st Gear
hi again everyone, i just got a check engine light on my car and its "CODE P0597 thermostat heater control circuit / open." i saw one thread here at NAM that its is the thermostat unit. can anyone confirm me on this issue please. is this a serious issue? can i continue riving the car while waiting for the part? please help. and thanks in advance

Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Snake20
1st Gear
Driving Effects?

Hi Guys
Fairly new to the world of Mini. I bought an 08 Pepper White MCS about two and a half months ago and love it more every time I drive it. I've been experiencing the knocking or ticking that is associated with the chain tensioner since the weather started to change. I have been letting the car warm up for a few minutes and been keeping a closer eye on the oil level as precaution. Once in awhile the car seems like it lags when I start to accelerate "harder" (i.e. on ramp to the highway), this is tough to describe as there was no noticeable difference in engine sound, it’s a "feel" thing I guess. I had been trying to convince myself that I was just being paranoid after reading about the chain issue. A couple days ago however there was definitely a change in RPM as I accelerated onto the highway, felt/sounded like normal until it kind lagged then revved up for a split second before returning to the normal engine sound and accelerating normally. This happened on one of the coldest mornings so far this year and I haven’t experienced anything like it since. Does this sound like it could be linked to the chain tensioner? Advice? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Minifan07
1st Gear
New owner - used mini

I bought an 07 R56 S with 100k miles from a mini dealership. Yes, I have big cojones considering all the horror stories I've read regarding these lovely engines.....but the car is in perfect shape with a 24k mi, 2yr powertrain warranty. I've noticed the rattling on cold-startups only twice in the last month. There were no records on file indicating any chain replacements, etc. Should I change it to the longer tensioner regardless? I'm assuming it won't hurt right?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to the MINI procedure you should first "measure" the timing chain prior to deciding to use the "long nose" tensioner or replacing the chain, guide rails etc. Since you have a 24 mo. powertrain warranty, maybe your first step should be to get a MINI dealer to check the chain length with the proper tool and go from there. Given that your car has 100k miles and the chain may have stretched some due to normal wear, perhaps it wouldn't be that much of a gamble to just install the 551 "long nose" tensioner. If you have a significant problem starting the treads when you install the 551 tensioner, it may indicate that your chain is not that far out of spec. Just a couple of thoughts to consider....

Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Minifan07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kukaepe
According to the MINI procedure you should first "measure" the timing chain prior to deciding to use the "long nose" tensioner or replacing the chain, guide rails etc. Since you have a 24 mo. powertrain warranty, maybe your first step should be to get a MINI dealer to check the chain length with the proper tool and go from there. Given that your car has 100k miles and the chain may have stretched some due to normal wear, perhaps it wouldn't be that much of a gamble to just install the 551 "long nose" tensioner. If you have a significant problem starting the treads when you install the 551 tensioner, it may indicate that your chain is not that far out of spec. Just a couple of thoughts to consider....

I appreciate your feedback. I'm assuming checking the chain length involves a valve cover removal and that alone is going to cost an arm and a leg at the dealership. I think I'm going to do what you suggested and try to install it myself and see how much effort I have getting the treads to catch.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Minifan07: Actually the MINI dealer will use a special tool that installs through the tensioner mounting point to indirectly measure the length of the chain or said a different way the deflection of the chain at the tensioner location. I would think a dealership could give you an estimate to remove the tensioner and measure the deflection. At that point reassembly with a new 551 tensioner would be the same labor as re-installing the old one. If the chain length/deflection is beyond the acceptable range for use of the 551 then you could elect to have the entire chain, rails, sprocket job done. Again, I think a dealer could give you an estimate up front if that was the result. Investigating these costs prior to installing the 551 tensioner might be good information to know prior to proceeding....

Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Minifan07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kukaepe
Minifan07: Actually the MINI dealer will use a special tool that installs through the tensioner mounting point to indirectly measure the length of the chain or said a different way the deflection of the chain at the tensioner location. I would think a dealership could give you an estimate to remove the tensioner and measure the deflection. At that point reassembly with a new 551 tensioner would be the same labor as re-installing the old one. If the chain length/deflection is beyond the acceptable range for use of the 551 then you could elect to have the entire chain, rails, sprocket job done. Again, I think a dealer could give you an estimate up front if that was the result. Investigating these costs prior to installing the 551 tensioner might be good information to know prior to proceeding....
Thank you, valid input. I will check with dealership and see how much they will charge for that.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
kaptaincorey19
1st Gear
Went to go buy the 551 on parts.com and they said that it is not being manufactured anymore and that Mini is updating it to a new part number which is not available in the U.S. yet and there is no ETA. That being said, anybody have an extra or know where else I can get the 551 or if there is another replacement out for it that I am not aware of?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM
kmethchu
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kaptaincorey19
Went to go buy the 551 on parts.com and they said that it is not being manufactured anymore and that Mini is updating it to a new part number which is not available in the U.S. yet and there is no ETA. That being said, anybody have an extra or know where else I can get the 551 or if there is another replacement out for it that I am not aware of?

I just ordered one from here:

eBMWParts.com

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Minifan07
1st Gear
Try ecstuning.com, enter the part no in the search box and it should come up. Decent prices from there too.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
kaptaincorey19
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kmethchu
I just ordered one from here:
eBMWParts.com
Originally Posted by Minifan07
Try ecstuning.com, enter the part no in the search box and it should come up. Decent prices from there too.
Thanks for helping guys, I actually just took a shot and called a dealer by me and they had it in stock so I just went down and picked it up. Now to just put it in.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
kmethchu
1st Gear
Thanks for helping guys, I actually just took a shot and called a dealer by me and they had it in stock so I just went down and picked it up. Now to just put it in.

Good luck! How much did it cost you at your local dealership?

Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
kaptaincorey19
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kmethchu
Good luck! How much did it cost you at your local dealership?
He quoted me at $59 but then said if I got in before the end of the day he would cut me a deal at $49.81 before tax.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
kmethchu
1st Gear
He quoted me at $59 but then said if I got in before the end of the day he would cut me a deal at $49.81 before tax.
That's not too bad. I ended up ordering mine from ECS Tuning, as Minifan07 suggested, for $31.35 shipped but I'm gonna have to wait a few days for it to get here. The other two BMW parts places I tried to order from cancelled my orders saying the part was n/a.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 AM
chilimini81
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I checked ecstuning.com over the weekend they still showed the -551 tensioner. I checked it this morning and this is what I found:

Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Just had mine done for free at the dealership - went in for the aux water pump recall and they said the tensioer "service action" was duie too:

Receipt reads:

PERFORM 11 02 12
CAMPAIGNS 50WP94M
1 11-31-4-609-483 CHAIN TENSIONER: 113050
13853 PERFORMED SERVCE ACTION. REPLACED TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER AND SEAL. (11 02 12)
(N/C)

Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
chilimini81
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Do you know if they changed it free because you're still under warranty? I'm taking mine in for the recall tomorrow, and I'm no longer under warranty.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chilimini81
^Do you know if they changed it free because you're still under warranty? I'm taking mine in for the recall tomorrow, and I'm no longer under warranty.
It's worth asking them to fix it under a goodwill waranty fix.
Ask them to perform 11 02 12 service action.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
xtort44
1st Gear
Just had my HPFP replaced and they heard the death rattle. They ended up replacing the timing chain tensioner and a cracked upper timing chain guide. This means I have an extra timing chain tensioner bolt as I ordered it from ECS not thinking my extended warranty was going to cover. If anyone is interested I will send it to you for cost and actual shipping. It should be in my hands tomorrow or the next day. PM me if interested in it. This is the "551" part

Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Just thought I'd add an update as I just replaced my chain tensioner myself. I had the original chain tensioner replaced in May 2010 with the 895 version. This was back when they were measuring the chain deflection and in my case, my chain was not stretched enough, so all I got was the tensioner. I think at that time they only had one version.

Picked up the new 9483 version from the dealer the other day (while getting recall done).

Install took me about an hour and was pretty straightforward as noted. Comparing the two parts, they looked the exact same on the outside, including the stampings. The new one did come with a crush washer.

Hopefully I did the install correctly. Alas, my tensioner was only making a rattle on a very intermittent basis, like when the MINI sat for several days or more recently, right after an oil change. Which makes me think it had more to do with it not priming correctly or something. Will be interesting to see if I can tell any difference (hopefully not the bad kind b/c I've messed up the install).

Quick Reply: How To Drivetrain :: Change Your Own Chain Tensioner