How To Interior/Exterior :: Headlight Joey Mod How To

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interior/Exterior :: Headlight Joey Mod How To

Please scroll down for the How To by DrPhilGandini

I have searched and searched and can not find any detailed instructions on how to do the joey mod. Does anyone have a "how to" laying around?

From what I have gathered I need to do these things:

1. Heat up silicone around the outside using the oven or heat gun.
2. Pry apart headlight plastic from the body of the light. Are there any clips I need to be aware of?
3. This is where I get lost, but I have to somehow remove the part to be painted. Presuming just a few nuts that need to be undone.
4. Paint this piece
5. Assemble and glue it all back together with silicon.

If there is no in-depth Joey Mod how to I will create one when I get around to doing mine.

PS. I have the 06 Halogens if that helps. But I will be happy with any 01-06 Mini Joey Mod on any type of headlight.

Last edited by 07BPB; 03-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Act_04
4th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tructions.html

As I recall this is a pretty good tutorial by Red Bull.

[EDIT: That link is for 07+. Thanks for the correction MUShadd.]

Last edited by Act_04; 03-04-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
There is not really an official how-to for the MK I headlamps. Everyone who done them has either refused to share their knowledge or simply neglected to take pictures of the process. The link posted above is for 07+, It is similar process but a few different details. Once you get the lens off, its pretty obvious how it comes off after that.

The following users liked this post:
Timshel R53 (01-11-2018)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, MUShadd is right in one regard (not that he's in error in any other regard, I just want to highlight one thing he says), and that's the lack of enthusiasm to share the process.
I am putting together a how-to from this weekend's experience that has yet to come to its finale. I have 05 Xenons (with the cool ring around the projector lens) and have photos and notes from the entire process.
Once it's together I will announce here.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
DrPhilGandini
If it were this easy everyone would do it!
Unfortunately I've found the devil in the details -- but what's new?
More later...

Originally Posted by 07BPB
I have searched and searched and can not find any detailed instructions on how to do the joey mod. Does anyone have a "how to" laying around?

From what I have gathered I need to do these things:

1. Heat up silicone around the outside using the oven or heat gun.
2. Pry apart headlight plastic from the body of the light. Are there any clips I need to be aware of?
3. This is where I get lost, but I have to somehow remove the part to be painted. Presuming just a few nuts that need to be undone.
4. Paint this piece
5. Assemble and glue it all back together with silicon.

If there is no in-depth Joey Mod how to I will create one when I get around to doing mine.

PS. I have the 06 Halogens if that helps. But I will be happy with any 01-06 Mini Joey Mod on any type of headlight.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I have no issues sharing any details ive done both 02-04 xenons and the 05+ xenons. I mean to take lots of pictures of the process, but it was a learning experience for me both times, and i neglected to do so. So anything i can add I most certainly will. I am glad to see Dr.G putting together a how-to. The more people that do it, the more chance for innovative ideas, that I may decide to try myself.

Also, your question about clips holding on the lens. there are 3 "tabs" that go through the black housing, helping secure the lens. they are covered in silicone. and from the outside of the headlamp, look like little black nubs. cutting the silicone away from them makes the prying process easier.

goodluck

Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 PM
07BPB
5th Gear
Thanks guys any help is appreciated. The gen 2 how to was somewhat helpful, hoping mine goes just as well.

I have ordered some parts from the states, so hopefully they will be here next week. Then I will crack open the headlights and the insides will be professionally painted body colour along with everything else that is coming. Can't wait! Its going to be a huge change to what it is now.

Last edited by 07BPB; 03-19-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM
DrPhilGandini
Here's the How To. I will work on it during the next few days as time permits.

Step 1 Remove the headlights from the bonnet.
1.1 Remove the electrical connection, remove the plumbing if you have headlight washers (I removed all the washers or plumbing stuff earlier--never used them.)
1.2 Undo the 3 screws holding the ballast and swing it down and away. You now have clear access to the 3 8mm nuts holding the headlight to the bonnet. Undo and remove the light through the front/top of the bonnet (this is only achievable if you swing the ballast out of the way, btw.)

Step 2
Disassemble the headlight - Remove the clear plastic lens cover.
2.1 You don't have to remove the chrome (or painted) headlight ring, but you can if you want. Mine is CF and glued on, so I couldn't remove it even if I wanted. If you do, be very careful not to break the small tabs that hold the ring to the plastic lens cover.
2.2 You need to heat up the silicone/rubber/goey stuff joint. See image below.

I used the "industrial" heat gun shown, and I don't think a hair dryer is hot enough, nor so easily directed accurately, but maybe it will work. If you put the light in the oven, you've got to remove all the metal stuff, which is a pita. I just worked slowly to heat up the entire joint, then began at the bottom (to the right in the photo) and once opening up a gap, pried it open with my fingers, cutting the goop with a knife. Some additional heat was needed but it's easy to "feel" how the goop is loosening up. It does stick to anything like the proverbial to a blanket, so I used disposable gloves, but I always use them...
btw, DONT clean the goop off. You need it to reseal the light. You don't need any new goop, you have enough, trust me!

Step 3: Remove facia
The chrome panel inside the black headlight housing that "fills the spaces" I call the facia. It is white plastic with a very thin layer of chrome--a little acetone and it's gone. It has tabs that fit it to the black housing--some are flat tabs and others are round pins. There are quite a few so don't be surprised. They have goop on them, but only from the interface between lens cover and housing--they are not glued in, but simply locate the facia while the housing and lens cover glue together.

Step 4: Remove headlight bulb
This is relatively easy, but here are the photos step by step:

Step 5: Remove projector ring
Once the facia is removed the chromed plastic ring around the projector lens is still attached. You must remove the lamp to access the tabs holding the ring on from the inside--you cannot, and should not, attempt to pull the ring off from the front!

Step 6: Prepare and Paint
You're pretty much on your own with this step, as you decide what parts get painted what color. The plastic is very receptive to paint, and removing the chrome is very easy as it's a very thin coating.
I ended up painting the facia dark silver, with the rings in front of the high beam a textured black. I also painted the projector ring dark silver.

Step 7: Putting it all back together
It's basically a reversal of the above steps with a few points to make.
7.1 Reinstall the smoke plastic inside the projector ring, then reinstall the projector ring onto the mount holding the projector lens.
7.2 Reinstall the bulb and the bulb retaining ring, and the ignitor and the cover.
7.3 Reinstall the facia. Remove as much of the goop as possible but if you don't get it all that's OK--it's better to leave some goop than get the goop on your beautifully painted facia! Push the facia into the tab slots until it's seated--it does not sit flush with the black housing as the clear lens is curved outward.
7.4 Avoid cleaning the inside of the clear lens as it will scratch and you'll see the scratches forever... I tried using a camera blower brush to get dust, etc out before sealing the thing up. Didn't really do a great job...
7.5 I hope you didn't remove the goop, as there's more than enough to reseal the light. I do not recommend applying more silicon when resealing.
7.6 Heat up the goop on both the housing and the lens cover. Lining up the cover is *very difficult*. I found a little tab at the edge that I could easily see had to line up, then concentrated on that as I fitted the two parts together. Once the goop A meets goop B, there's little chance of starting all over again. I kept heating the joint to soften the goop. You must push the parts together going around the circumference. The occasional heating keeps the process going, and you can make very minor alignment corrections as needed, but I'm talking a few silly millimeters here, folks.
7.7 You know when the parts are back together again as there is a shoulder on the black housing that sits flush with the edge of the bezel (be it chrome or painted in your case). I guess it took me about 15 minutes to do this step, but patience is rewarded.

And here's what they look like reinstalled and polished up.

Last edited by DrPhilGandini; 03-06-2009 at 04:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (04-18-2018)
Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 PM
07BPB
5th Gear
Excellent! Thanks for that Dr. Phil. I am pretty sure I can handle this mod now. Only thing I am iffy on is driving 45 min to the paint and panel with no headlights. Day time of course.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you who have done this. Is there any way to get to the inside of the clear cover to clean it on the inside without taking everything apart?

YD

Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
For those of you who have done this. Is there any way to get to the inside of the clear cover to clean it on the inside without taking everything apart?

YD
You are talking about the 05/06 Xenons, right? If so, you can't access the inside of the lens cover through the standard beam as the projector lens is in front of it and prevents access. I guess you could remove the high beam lamp, but you aren't going to get much access to the inside--very limited indeed.
So my short answer is: no.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dr. Phil, yes I'm talking 06 Xenons. I getting a little bit of a film on the inside, sort of like the inside of your windshield gets, not bad, but starting to get noticeable.

Under certain weather conditions, sometimes I see a little bit of condensation on the lower part of the inside...

I know the whole unit needs to breathe, so I guess this is normal...

thanks for your answer, short is good even though the answer is not.

YD

Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Any last tips before I do this? Just waiting on one last box of goodies from the States before I can start. I have purchased some gloves and a lil bit of silicon just in case, (I realize Dr Phil suggested to use the original "goop" ) and my heat gun is ready too.

Can not believe im going to do it Im so excited *jumps up and down*

Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have any experience doing this on an 04 xenon setup? I hear it's not as easy as 05-06...

Tim C

Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 AM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by 07BPB
Any last tips before I do this? Just waiting on one last box of goodies from the States before I can start. I have purchased some gloves and a lil bit of silicon just in case, (I realize Dr Phil suggested to use the original "goop" ) and my heat gun is ready too.

Can not believe im going to do it Im so excited *jumps up and down*
Great--I waited 2 years to do this, so I understand the trepidation. Keep it all clean and be patient and you'll end up with a fine set of Joeys. The goop is not messy--especially at room temperature. It pretty much sticks to itself way more than other things. Have a knife handy to cut the goop when levering the two surfaces (housing and clear cover) apart. It might be easier at this exact stage to have someone to either use the knife or hold the heat gun, but I managed just fine without a helper by just putting the gun down and cutting, then taking up the gun again.

btw, so far no problems at all with a rain storm, and a car wash--no leaks or moisture entering the lights. They look so natural I don't even notice them on my car. I need something else to do...

Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 AM
ECHO-313
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperT
Anyone have any experience doing this on an 04 xenon setup? I hear it's not as easy as 05-06...

Tim C
+1............

Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Thanks for taking the time, and great write-up Phil.

I have the old style non-xenon lamps, so my J-mod will be a little different. However, I did grab a couple tidbits from the how-to that will help when I do mine...
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
2.1 You don't have to remove the chrome (or painted) headlight ring, but you can if you want
I didn't want to remove my trim rings...and i'm glad I won't have to.

Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
btw, DONT clean the goop off. You need it to reseal the light. You don't need any new goop, you have enough, trust me!
This is good to know...I have never heard anyone else refer to this.

Thanks again...and it looks great!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
DrPhilGandini
Joaquin (Partsman): I really thought a lot about mentioning the goop, but I had read in other posts about resealing with silicone, and the subsequent question of which product to use. Once heated up, the goop is incredibly attracted to itself (!) and so the alignment is critical with only minor adjustments possible with heat. I just can't imagine introducing some other (foreign) sealant in there especially as I've never come across something in a tube that had exactly the same consistency as the goop.
As an aside, the eBay halo lights use a grey silicone sealant, which looks like ***** where it oozes into the housing against the black facia. I have no idea why they used grey instead of black, but it just goes to show a lack of attention to detail.

With regard to the trim, you will have to be careful when prying the clear lens cover from the black housing (the goop interface.) If you don't get the goop nice and hot, you end up flexing the clear cover enough to "pop" the trim off (I'd guess, mine is non-standard CF trim).
I still like the heat gun approach as it enables you to target the heat to the interface as you work around the perimeter.

Maybe we can have a basic How To as a sticky, with variations for early lamps, and later lamps?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 PM
07BPB
5th Gear
I am more than happy to do a complete how to on the facelift halogens I own.

Thanks for the tips Dr Phil, greatly appreciated. It is a little bit daunting, but considering I am leaving the painting part to the professionals its otherwise not too hard. Ill let you know when I start. My vents arrived two days ago, now the new grill and other unmentionables have to arrive and I can begin!

PS. My aussie mate has been dying to know what my plans are so he is stalking these forums in search of clues. I find it hilarious, so I have gone back and deleted some of the names of parts I ordered.

Last edited by 07BPB; 03-19-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
PortMCS
5th Gear
DrPhil, great write up and thanks for taking the time to post this !

Im convinced im going to tackle this project. From the looks of it, since i have the older 03 HID lamps, i dont have to do steps 4-5 since which should be easy. I gots a heat-gun but dont have acetone. Think i need it, or will the paint hold up on the chrome ? It wont be exposed to the elements since its inside

Also, what temp do you set the gun to ???

Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PortMCS
Also, what temp do you set the gun to ???
To break the headlamp apart I had mine set to 100C = 232F so it would melt but not so much the silicon dripped everywhere. To put it back together I wanted to ensure the silicon resealed so I used about 150C = 332F. Keep in mind I was moving the gun around quite a bit and wasn't aimed at one spot for too long.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
miniman101
5th Gear
Alright, I too am probably going to do this this weekend. I have the same lights as you 07BPB, and I will be going off of your amazing write up! I am nervous as hell about it too. My one and hopefully only question is what to paint the insides with? 07BPB I see you had your done by a pro, but most everyone does theirs matte black. What exactly is that matte black paint? Can I find it at the hardware store? Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
07BPB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniman101
Alright, I too am probably going to do this this weekend. I have the same lights as you 07BPB, and I will be going off of your amazing write up! I am nervous as hell about it too. My one and hopefully only question is what to paint the insides with? 07BPB I see you had your done by a pro, but most everyone does theirs matte black. What exactly is that matte black paint? Can I find it at the hardware store? Thanks
No worries! Just take your time doing it. Get a free afternoon and spend a few hours, you wont regret doing it. I have had mine on for a couple days now and so far no moisture inside and the lens has not fogged up.

In regard to painting the inside of the headlights this is the one area where I am clueless. Hoping some one else can chime in and give advice. If I do find any info on painting them ill add it into my How to.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Thanks a lot DrPhil for the instructions, it made it simple enough for me to want to take this on, and I got it done in 2 hours from your instructions

I'll get a better pic of them in the car later

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 AM
DrPhilGandini
That looks great!
I wish we could get 07BPB's and my HowTos as stickies--it would put all the info in one place.
Until that time, the info is all here regardless.
As for the paint, honestly any but the cheapest spray paint will work. For matt black you might use the stuff they paint BBQs with, or buy the stuff made to paint plastic. For the chrome, just buff it a little or, as I say above, you can use acetone and the chrome will actually come off--it's very thin indeed. The plastic underneath is white. Just dont spray direct on the shiny chrome as you're asking for a problem maybe later once you've put it all together.
Good luck,

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Headlight Joey Mod How To